What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Fargo -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fargo, directed by the Coen brothers, is one of those rare noirs. It's in color. Presuming that we consider white a color.

It's also a terrific film, beautifully scripted, acted and shot by Roger Deakins, and the new Shout Select 4k release does it justice.

Color and densities look superb. Grain is stunning, and appears original. Black (and white) levels, and especially white reproduction are sublime.

It's also a restoration, and all that I know about it are rumors. One individual in post spoke off the record opining that the OCN had spent decades in Ethan's basement, and may have sustained water damage.

While I have no idea if this is true or accurate, the final work seems to be on the level of that you'll find on Out of the Blue, which I was told cost over forty million dollars, with tens of thousands of hours of work by fiercely intentioned technicians.

Just how difficult this restoration was, may never come to light, but lovers of the film, and I'm one of them can than those involved for the yeoman like work.

A nice selection of extras make this a true Select Edition. While some may mourn the loss of the Blu-ray steelbook, I find the black plastic packaging more than satisfactory.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7.5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 1

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's also a restoration, and all that I know about it are rumors. One individual in post spoke off the record opining that the OCN had spent decades in Ethan's basement, and may have sustained water damage.

While I have no idea if this is true or accurate,

It was more likely buried in the snow along with the money.

yamato72

Agent
Real Name
Marc Fenneuff
I remember when this first came out on DVD, my local Media Play had the version with an actual snow globe.

(I'm trying to remember if I'd seen the movie yet at that point, and thereby understood the scene being depicted in said snow globe)

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I'm so happy to read the vote of confidence on the transfer - I had preordered this the minute I could as this is one of my favorite films. Whoohooo!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
White reproduction sounds great considering, you know, all the snow.
frances mcdormand fargo GIF
You Betcha :D ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks