What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Gunfight at the O.K. Corral -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always been a huge fan of John Sturges' 1956 Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.

Great cast - Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Rhonda Fleming, Jo Van Fleet, John Ireland, with support from Earl Holliman, Dennis Hopper, Whit Bissell, DeForest Kelly, Martin Milner, Lee Van Clef, Olive Carey, Jack Elam and a great cast of western type players. You'll also find Glenn Strange.

Great score by Dimitri Tiomkin.

Beautifully shot in VistaVision by Charles Lang.

This is a beautiful restorative effort from Paramount from a difficult film stock c. 1956.

Color, densities, black levels, grain structure all appear akin to a 1957 print.

As to the track - I have no idea what elements survived - it's in 5.1, and is beautifully rendered.

A great job on an important project.

I couldn't be more thrilled!

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7.5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 2

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunfight-K-C...=1709121286&sprefix=gunfight+a,aps,113&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Ah... you're a slipcover investor then. I toss 90% of them. Take up way too much shelf space.

I scan them and use them in my home brew MySql / PHP media inventory app.

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 10-27-11 Find A Movie.png

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 10-27-26 Query Results.png

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 10-27-49 Query Results.png

617311679896-F.jpg

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Love this movie cannot wait to see in 4K! Costing me $61 as have to import from the US but worth that & a whole lot more to me its such a great movie (western or otherwise).

Timeless classic & incredible cast!

Just hope we get to see way more 1950s-60s-70s classic's on 4K UHD disc before the format is replaced by a digital only alternative!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The 4K digital is currently available on iTunes for $4.99 purchase price. Not only no slipcover to take up shelf space, no case or disc to store! :)

Mark

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There are certain titles I want to own and know that I have the best possible video and audio presentation currently available. This is one of them, and I'm looking forward to getting the disc once it's been released. Besides, I like future-proofing myself for when I finally get that 4K projector and dedicated HT room set up, AND this is a VistaVision film to boot! ;)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are certain titles I want to own and know that I have the best possible video and audio presentation currently available. This is one of them, and I'm looking forward to getting the disc once it's been released. Besides, I like future-proofing myself for when I finally get that 4K projector and dedicated HT room set up, AND it's VistaVision! ;)
In most cases I feel the same way as I patiently wait for my preorder to show up.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
How is the 5.1 sound?
The iTunes 4K digital is Dolby 5.1. We watched it last night. It looked and sounded terrific. For $5, I am a very happy camper! If the price for the digital had been $14.99 or higher, I would have probably opted for the 4K Blu-ray. But for 5 bucks, hard to resist!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks