Chinatown SE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jamie Summers, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Jamie Summers

Jamie Summers Auditioning

After posting that High Society thread, it got me thinking that it also seems rather bizarre that Chinatown hasn't been scheduled for a special edition...from what I can remember the current print could possibly do with a cleanup too? I know along with Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf this is probably the film that's been highest on my DVD wants list but as somebody else said about Night of the Hunter, i'm waiting for a really good release before I buy it. Anyone heard anything about a Chinatown remaster/special edition?

2. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

I haven't heard of any plans, but this has been in my mind as well. Paramount don't tend to revisit their back catalog titles for the SE treatment as much as some other studios (notably Warners of course), so I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Actually, thinking about Polanski, the film that badly needs remastering by Paramount is Rosemary's Baby. The present DVD issue has very poor video quality, with washed out colours - it looks nothing like I remember seeing in the theatre or even on subsequent TV transmissions.

3. Jamie Summers

Have to agree. Watched it last week and it seemed VERY washed out. Then watched another Mia film, Shadows and Fog, and thought the same. stunning cinematography ruined by a shitty print. Very annoying.

Jamie

4. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

Anyone seen these yet? Seems Paramount are going re-release crazy at the moment.Do they actually think these covers will make anyone buy the films?

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Jamie Summers

very annoying. the original dvd with the original quad poster art on it was far better, and this rerelease has the exact same extras.

Jamie

6. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

And, I assume, the exact same washed-out transfer? [​IMG]

7. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Man, I just threw out my "Widescreen Collection" because I want that new cover! [​IMG]

I just don't get what is with the new cover changes nowadays, Anaconda, I Know What You Did Last Summer, etc... If anything, people identify with the original poster.

I'd like to see a Special Edition soon, but hopefully they'll keep the coverart similar.

Ryan

8. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Geeze! This transfer is practically from the dawn of time (1999)
    How about a NEW transfer, and an OLD cover?, Paramount?
    RE: Chinatown

when did this sneak out?

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Actually, that's changed a lot recently. Paramount used to be the studio least likely to double-dip, but they've gotten much more into re-releases over the last year or so. A redone Chinatown wouldn't surprise me in the least...

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

A superior remastered Special 2-disc of Chinatown would be greatly appreciated. As would the following Paramount films:

Romeo and Juliet (1968)

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Harold and Maude (1971)

Don't Look Now (1973)

The Parallax View (1974)

Three Days of the Condor (1975)

Days of Heaven (1978)

Escape from Alcatraz (1979)

The Dead Zone (1983)

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)

11. Jamie Summers

definitely agree with Don't Look Now and Harold & Maude, the second has a particularly washed out print.

Jamie

12. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

The best thing would be for both films to be united in a multi-disc boxed set with featurettes explaining the long history of both films and Robert Towne's unrealized dream for a trilogy about the fight for power in Los Angeles during the first half of the 20th century. Also, some photos and footage (if any!) from the aborted first version of The Two Jakes from 1985, and commentaries from Polanksi/Evans/Nicholson/Towne/Dunaway (we'll be lucky if we can get from at least two from that group!).

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Add The Conversation to that list.

I also can't understand why Chinatown hasn't been given it's due on DVD. It's kind of ridiculous as any other studio would have treated this film among their elite and rolled out a SE years ago. But than again, we still don't have Ace In The Hole either... or the Betty Boop films... maybe not so surprising?

14. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I would also add DAYS OF HEAVEN

15. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I actually just saw Chinatown for the first time ever today...great movie; don't know if I should wait for an SE since Paramount is starting to go that route or pick up the current release.

16. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick

Actually, the current release of THE CONVERSATION is pretty darn good. It is well-packed with 2 commentaries, documentary, trailer, etc. The image quality isn't going to be spectacular, as the theatrical release was very grainy and dark to start with. The chances of a revisit on this, I predict, are nearly nil. One of the handful of early special editions from Paramount.

17. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Well, if we're widening this thread to become a Paramount wants list, I'll add 'If...' to the list. I'm also one of the many waiting for 'Ace In The Hole' to be released.

18. Justin W

Justin W Stunt Coordinator

yeah, where is ace in the hole anyways?

19. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Chinatown is a personal all-time favorite of mine, but I think this goes too far. The current DVD is not "washed-out" with fine blacks and a sharp transfer.

Would I like a SE of Chinatown?

Heck yes, particularly with the news from a year ago that at the showing in L.A. to honor Chinatown's 30 year mark (1974) was a new tranfer. Special features would be appreciated too.

Let's hope.

20. AlexNoir

AlexNoir Agent

I disagree on Chinatown's transfer. It's not Double Indemnity bad (christ, that movie needs a proper DVD release, this is getting ridiculous), but it does seem somewhat soft and grainy and there seems to a be a slight red hue that makes everybody look sunburned. But I'm no technophile.