What's new

ceiling speakers - enclosure (1 Viewer)

jesusq

Auditioning
I'm building my home theater and had a question on Ceiling speakers. I see a few manufacturers that have speakers with enclosure. The place where I want to add the ceiling speakers, is at the edge of a one story house, where the attic is very low for a human to fit to place a speaker enclosure. There are some speakers that come with a built in enclosure; even though to my eyes, these enclosure seemed relatively. I see a sealed enclosure which means it will need more space than a ported enclosure. My concern is, would I get a bigger difference if I sacrifice the enclosure?

There are tons of of high end ceiling speakers without enclosure, and what I see on the market is a very few selected low end brands with enclosure like Pyle. It is my understanding that the enclosure is that makes the mids and low frequencies. BTW I'm placing 8" speakers on the ceiling and in front wall.

Also, for these high end brands, is there a better 3rd party enclosure that I can buy that would improve the sound without getting into the attic? It's almost impossible to get to that side of the attic and too many AC tubs, Ceiling raise and insulation to get to where the speakers will be placed. Not to mentioned that the attic will lower to almost 18" which makes it even worst to fit a speaker from the top down. If I get a speaker with an enclosure, I can cut a hole from the bottom and install the speaker from under the ceiling. I've already run cables and have Bose Cube speakers, but now I want to put flush mount speakers instead of the cubes. I have enough room to fit an enclosure from below, I just can't fit on that side of the attic to fit an enclosure from above.

What do you guys recommend?

I feel getting a good high end speaker and no enclosure is defeating the quality of the speaker. and I don't know how that compares to get a low end speaker with an enclosure that might give it better sound. I feel that without an enclosure, I will need to add double subs since the speakers will not produce almost no low mid or no base at all.

decisions,.. decisions... decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks