What's new

Which speakers better for adding atmos - atmos directional speakers or in ceiling overheads? (1 Viewer)

StarFyre

Auditioning
Real Name
Sanjay
Hello all,

From another thread (long story) we're going to be having some work done in our theater area. We've decided to go the more work route which means, opening up the ceiling a bit is going to happen (to add a conduit, and help correct a wire that's too short).

Since the work is going to happen anyways, this is a good time to wire up some atmos speakers. My question is about which to get. i was looking at these, the aperion height modules for the front 2 speakers (and maybe the rear), put into the ceiling and aimed at the seating area:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...00x1000_v2_4000x.progressive.png?v=1669357736

(our setup uses aperion already so figured might as well get the same brand)

OR , since im in canada, these are cheaper and easier to get: https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-ceiling-speakers/ci-home-h55-r-v2

Those are just the ceiling speakers ppl place into the ceiling cavity so not directional from what i can tell.

Does anyone use these type of ceiling speakers for atmos or do the front and rear atmos speakers need to be directional?

regards

SF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
In general, in/on-ceiling atmos speakers work much better than using (indirect) ceiling bounce, height speakers. That's pretty much the universal consensus. The indirect, ceiling bounce option should really only be considered at all if you absolutely cannot install in/on-ceiling speakers.

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You've probably already had the work done so this is too late. But in this extremely helpful (and long) video from Audioholics, interviewing a person who mixes in Atmos for Skywalker Sounds, here's the Cliff's Notes.
  1. 4 overheads is the minimum for effective Atmos, don't bother with an x.x.2 (as an aside my personal feeling is that going from a 5.1 to a 7.1 is more effective than going to a 5.1.2 since more movies actually use 7.1 than Atmos--this will change over time as more movies are released in Atmos)
  2. Overhead, ceiling mounted, direct firing down on Atmos speakers are preferred
  3. If you can't do that install (which I couldn't due to renting and a popcorn ceiling which likely has asbestos so I can't drill/damage it) then direct directional height speakers like Prime Elevation mounted as high as possible and pointing towards the listening positions are the next best thing
  4. They universally did not like ceiling bounce Atmos modules
If you have 2 hours to kill and a deep interest in Atmos, this video is worth the watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks