What's new

building a new home, would like to install Dolby Atmos (1 Viewer)

rtparies

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
Hello,

I am building a new home. I would like to install Dolby Atmos in my living room(it will be pretty small living room). Since it is new, i will have the chance to put in in-wall speakers.

Would love some suggestions on speakers from anyone that has done this. I do not want $$$$$$ speakers , but more like $$$ decent ones. Also the smaller the better.

When installing in-wall speakers do you put an enclosure behind them?

I can put speakers in the front wall (for front and front right and left), but then i am restricted to ceiling for the rest.

Also is it worth doing Dolby Atmos, or should i just do a 5.1 setup.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It would be helpful if you provided more info, such as are you planning on installing a display or front projection?

Personally, I would not go with in-wall speakers for my fronts or surrounds, but would have the speaker wire run before the drywall is installed, and go with in-ceiling speakers for Atmos.

If it is a fairly small room, I would go with a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup (which would require a 7.2 receiver that is Atmos-capable).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In-wall speakers for home use have their own enclosures.

Having said that, I strongly suggest against in-wall speakers. You're much better off, and have much more flexibility using bookshelf speakers, which can be set on a small shelf. Also, in-ceiling really should only be used for Atmos speakers. There are on-wall surround speakers that are a better option for the regular surround ones.

rtparies

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
In-wall speakers for home use have their own enclosures.

Having said that, I strongly suggest against in-wall speakers. You're much better off, and have much more flexibility using bookshelf speakers, which can be set on a small shelf. Also, in-ceiling really should only be used for Atmos speakers. There are on-wall surround speakers that are a better option for the regular surround ones.
Thank you for the reply,

So what is the big advantage of NOT doing in wall?

it is an easier sell :Dto my lovely spouse if they are in wall because they are not as noticeable?

Thanks

Mark20175

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Mulholland
When we built our house in 1992, a friend recommended that I run twin coax into every room in the house. I also ran speaker wire (actually ran 8-wire thermostat wire to every room where I thought I would put remote speakers. Well, these days, I would tell everyone to run twin Cat-6 ethernet cables and the thermostat wire for speakers. The best time to do it is when the frame is done but before the drywall or other wall covering is installed. The other big advantage is that you don't have to be a licensed electrician to install low-voltage wire. The best time to do it is on a Sunday or other day that the construction guys aren't on-site. Of course, I would tell the site manager that you're going to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks