What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I would definitely love to get this set, as I am a huge William Conrad fan and have enjoyed the first two seasons of Jake and the Fatman. I'll probably wait til the price goes down a bit, and give VEI time to work out any issues. I am very grateful for all the great shows they have rescued from the scrap heap, but disappointed that they keep having quality control issues. But since CBS is not gonna do anything with shows like this, I will gladly take what I can get from VEI.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'll probably wait til the price goes down a bit, and give VEI time to work out any issues. I am very grateful for all the great shows they have rescued from the scrap heap, but disappointed that they keep having quality control issues.

(More generally).

Most of VEI's initial releases seem to be Mill Creek (or Echo Bridge) bottom feeder quality at Shout Factory prices.

Today I'm not willing to pay Shout Factory prices for Mill Creek quality stuff anymore.

I'm probably not contributing much of anything to VEI's bottom line. So they're probably not paying much (if any) attention to what I and other similar posters are saying (such as here and in amazon comments).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Passed by Wallyworlds yesterday, and noticed they still had the "low budget disc reduced" version of the Cannon complete series set for around 26$. In the past, I usually didn't see particular VEI titles sitting on the shelves at Wallyworld for many consecutive months at a time.

This leads me to suspect VEI might have manufactured too many copies of this "low budget disc reduced" version of the Cannon complete series set.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Passed by Wallyworlds yesterday, and noticed they still had the "low budget disc reduced" version of the Cannon complete series set for around 26$. In the past, I usually didn't see particular VEI titles sitting on the shelves at Wallyworld for many consecutive months at a time.

This leads me to suspect VEI might have manufactured too many copies of this "low budget disc reduced" version of the Cannon complete series set.
I find that curious as I only saw it at ours once, and it was gone the very next week. It hasn't reappeared on any of my subsequent Wal-Mart visits, either! Too bad, as I might have grabbed it at that price, warts and all!

CHEERS! :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I find that curious as I only saw it at ours once, and it was gone the very next week. It hasn't reappeared on any of my subsequent Wal-Mart visits, either! Too bad, as I might have grabbed it at that price, warts and all!

This prolonged occurrence of Cannon on Wallyworld shelves nearby, might very well be a regional (or local) thing.

Offhand, I don't know of anywhere else. (I don't travel on business much anymore these days).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Just figured I'd let anyone know that hasn't gotten it yet. I just purchased on Amazon, the complete series of Cannon on DVD for $22.00! Great price for the entire series.

I'll pick it up for that price. I'm still amazed that in 2017, people still go through the hassle of shopping in stores like Crapmart. I have better things to do with my time.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I officially retired buying my movies from anywhere except Amazon back in 2007 after bucking the trend for far too long and paying far too much when moneys could have been allocated better elsewhere. The one complaint about on-line shopping I have is that you don't get your stuff 'day-in-date' which is, I suspect the only real reason brick n' mortar stores for home video purchases are still in existence. Price point wise, they cannot compete. I sincerely wish Amazon could work out a schedule whereupon they could ship new releases out a couple of days ahead of their actual release so they arrived on my front porch exactly on the scheduled release date.

But I realize I am asking for too much here, as once something left their facility there is no accounting for how much time a particular carrier will take to actually get it to your front door - the result, Amazon could ostensibly 'break street' and that would definitely result in fines and other unpleasant kickbacks. But once you wrap your head around the fact you can't have your movies on their Tuesday release (they'll come 2-4 business days thereafter) there really is NO GOOD REASON to shop in a store.

Worse, the 'big box' home video retailers that used to stock an impressive array of deep catalog have all dried up - Sam Goodie, Tower Records, Music World, Ken Crane's, Saturday Matinee, HMV, leaving a handful of middling competitors behind that increasingly do not stock everything that comes out but simply concentrate on the 'key' high profile titles and leave the rest to 'special order'; rather defeating the purpose of 'day-in-date' at a brick n' mortar location anyway. In the end, they're catering to the 'Wal-Mart' mentality shopper and not the collectors who make up the conversation partakers of on-line forums such as this one.

So shop smart. Shop on line. Save when you can. We all work hard for our cash. More saved. More to spend on something else.

*Aside: one final point of interest here. In the past it has not only been third-party distributors like VEI that have skimped on 'quality' to achieve a price point. In an age where 4K is fast becoming the norm, the least we can expect from ANY distributor or rights holder of these vintage TV shows is that they will do their utmost to achieve optimal video quality on whatever format they choose to present their product. Why more TV hasn't made the leap to Blu-ray is, frankly, disconcerting. I suspect a lot of it has to do with quality issues that DVD's lesser bit rate, if not obliterated, then masked. In a hi-def world, masking is not possible. It has to look good - period.

I'll still hold out hope someone at Universal is paying attention and planning to reissue Law & Order, Murder She Wrote and Magnum P.I. in better transfers to Blu-ray. CBS/Viacom really ought to get busy releasing more Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy seasons, along with remastering Dynasty and Dynasty II: The Colbys for Blu. Even when shows were shot on digital tape, or finished on tape, resulting in no true upconversion to 1080p, shows like The Golden Girls, All in the Family, Dallas, The Facts of Life, The Jeffersons, the gawd-awful L.A. Law launch (misfire is more like it) etc. et al can still attain a lot better level of quality than what is currently out there; image stabilization, color correction and elimination of chroma bleeding a good start!

I cannot watch MacGyver - one of my all time favorite shows from the 80s on DVD. Ditto for the horrendous job on The Golden Girls, Ally McBeal, and Frasier. The hit or miss quality issues are really disconcerting. Then you get gems like the Cheers box set or Laverne and Shirley that look positively gorgeous and light years ahead of any and all expectations. If only a little more time and a little less greed can be applied, I sincerely think we can reach a happy medium in 1080p; likely the highest format any of these shows will ever see the light of day...if, in fact, at all. We'll wait and hope and urge the studios to get busy mining their heritage again...or in some cases, for the first time. ST. ELSEWHERE? Anyone?!? PICKET FENCES? Anyone again?!?!?

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The one complaint about on-line shopping I have is that you don't get your stuff 'day-in-date' which is, I suspect the only real reason brick n' mortar stores for home video purchases are still in existence. Price point wise, they cannot compete. I sincerely wish Amazon could work out a schedule whereupon they could ship new releases out a couple of days ahead of their actual release so they arrived on my front porch exactly on the scheduled release date.

But I realize I am asking for too much here, as once something left their facility there is no accounting for how much time a particular carrier will take to actually get it to your front door - the result, Amazon could ostensibly 'break street' and that would definitely result in fines and other unpleasant kickbacks. But once you wrap your head around the fact you can't have your movies on their Tuesday release (they'll come 2-4 business days thereafter) there really is NO GOOD REASON to shop in a store.

I almost always get new releases on street date via Amazon prime.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Then you get gems like the Cheers box set or Laverne and Shirley that look positively gorgeous and light years ahead of any and all expectations.

Those, and Hart to Hart from Shout! (the last three seasons with excellent picture quality, perhaps better than ABC broadcast), Have Gun, Will Travel (seeing the 4th season's worth right now, and it looks possibly better than original CBS broadcast), etc.

If St. Elsewhere is going to come from anyone, it would seem to be Shout! They did Newhart, Hill Street Blues and other MTM shows.

True! The rest of St. Elsewhere needs to come from somewhere, and I think that Shout! would be the very people to do it.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Constantly Being Stalled needs to poop or get off the pot with the rest of The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Bonanza, and Gunsmoke. I have said it before, and I will say it again; the audience for these shows is dwindling down by the day. I follow the official Hillbillies page on Facebook, a page maintained by Constantly Being Stalled, and as soon as they post something, people start commenting away. YouTube uploads of the unreleased seasons have millions of combined views. Who's on the throne making the decision to keep these shows stalled out? If you dare make mention on the CBS HE Facebook page of them stalling out shows, you're shown the door post haste!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If you dare make mention on the CBS HE Facebook page of them stalling out shows, you're shown the door post haste!

Why would they take offense to you telling them to unstall a lot of what they've stalled?

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just figured I'd let anyone know that hasn't gotten it yet. I just purchased on Amazon, the complete series of Cannon on DVD for $22.00! Great price for the entire series.

This is an exclusive for Prime members only. I checked this out as I was interested, but I no longer have Prime. It also ships in 1 to 3 weeks.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This is an exclusive for Prime members only. I checked this out as I was interested, but I no longer have Prime. It also ships in 1 to 3 weeks.

Why would they make the great deals (or many of them) Prime-exclusive?! I don't get that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks