What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Last night on the DVD I watched an episode of Cannon, The Girl In The Electric Coffin from season 1. First time watching this one and I thought it's a pretty decent episode.

Also about the Barnaby Jones DVD's, those four two part episodes from seasons 6-8, three of them appear complete but Child Of Love, Child Of Vengeance from season 7 appears to be edited.

Season 7 does have a few uncut episodes, Deadly Sanctuary and Target For A Wedding, along with the two parter Echo Of A Distant Battle, all of these appear to be complete.

A favorite Barnaby Jones episode of mine from the 7th season, although it's edited on the DVD, is Dance With Death. Good episode and the blonde actress who plays a disco dancer in the episode, her name is Sandra Kerns, mercy she's a smokin' hot beauty!

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Another comment/question about Barnaby Jones, what about the original complete/uncut masters that were used when CBS originally ran the series from 1973-80? Couldn't CBS have loaned those to VEI to create the DVD's with? Or would that not have been possible?

Seems to me it would have been a simple thing for CBS to loan the uncut originals to VEI, but maybe it's not as simple as that. A few uncut episodes did slip into the set which makes me wonder why couldn't all of them be complete?

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Another comment/question about Barnaby Jones, what about the original complete/uncut masters that were used when CBS originally ran the series from 1973-80? Couldn't CBS have loaned those to VEI to create the DVD's with? Or would that not have been possible?

Seems to me it would have been a simple thing for CBS to loan the uncut originals to VEI, but maybe it's not as simple as that. A few uncut episodes did slip into the set which makes me wonder why couldn't all of them be complete?
We don't know what CBS provided. Obviously, season one was uncut and there were others uncut across seasons. It is possible they did provide all uncut episodes, but that they were in worse shape than the syndicated/cut versions, so they went with best quality.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
We don't know what CBS provided. Obviously, season one was uncut and there were others uncut across seasons. It is possible they did provide all uncut episodes, but that they were in worse shape than the syndicated/cut versions, so they went with best quality.
Thanks Brad, I imagine we may never know what exactly went wrong there. It is possible that VEI went with the best quality regardless if the episode was unedited or not. Streaming might be a more likely option but I'll hold on to a little glimmer of hope for a DVD reissue with all complete episodes.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
With the seasons 3 to 8 DVD's of Barnaby Jones having mostly edited for syndication versions of the episodes, trimmed down to 46 minutes, whenever I come across one of the few uncut ones, I think to myself, hey wait a minute, this one is complete, what's this doing here this doesn't belong here! ;) :laugh:

To be honest, the edited/syndicated versions that VEI chose to go with aren't in that great of a shape either. Assuming that CBS did offer the original complete episodes to VEI along with the edited syndicated versions, were the originals really in worse shape than the edited ones? Anyhow, it is what it is, the topic has been discussed, we will probably never know what exactly went wrong, it's just a shame the series DVD set turned out to be a botch job. If the series gets a remaster with all complete episodes sometime down the line, will retain some hope for a DVD reissue.

One of my favorite episodes from the entire series is Final Ransom from season 5. Of course it's edited on the DVD, but it's a very good episode and I'd be curious to see the complete episode to find out what scenes were deleted in the edited version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks