1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, May 4, 2015.

1. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

My Barnaby Jones complete series had a similar setup. A hard plastic outer case, but inside the discs were stored in wallets as pictured in that ebay listing. It also had that same little note with VEI's phone number to call them if I have any problems.
    Don't know why the seller put 4 discs in his listing for Matt Houston. If I were going to buy it from that seller, I would email him/her first to ask him if that's a typo.

Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And believe it or not, that's what I changed my copy of that Cannon release to-- I thought I would like the wallet it came in, but then I decided that the discs would probably be better protected in envelopes.

Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  3. Robert13

Robert13 Supporting Actor

Robert
    I purchased VEI's newest release of "THE DIVISON" (first time ever on dvd!) and all discs came housed in a big thick black case with the disc-folio inside. I don't care much for sliding the discs in and out, it seems they would become slightly scratched overtime. So I transferred them all to regular dvd cases with flip-trays.

bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.
  4. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Just a guess on my part, but I suspect the seller purchased the set for Seasons 2 and 3 (as he might've already had the higher-quality Season 1 from the earlier six-disc release), then decided to sell-off the inferior VEI (and now, "spare") copy of the first season.

Probably why he priced it at $20.00, also, as that price would've been a bargain for the whole thing.

I don't think the fact his photo obscures the "all 67 episodes" is an accident. I'm sure it's on purpose so that no one can say "your listing says it's for the whole series."

I don't think it's any surprise it didn't sell.

5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Another thing I never thought about on first examination-- him blurring out the part about all episodes, just to sell something that was just the first go.

6. AndyMcKinney

He seems a little bit like a con artist. If someone doesn't take a close look, they think they'll be getting the whole thing. Then, if they complain later, he has a (weak, IMO) argument for deniability. Still, I would think anybody 'taken in' on this would not have a hard time getting their money back through eBay arbitration. The con job looks a bit too obvious to me.

Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  7. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    HIGHLANDER: The Complete Series is available now from VEI. Anybody have it yet, or order it? Any thoughts on what this will look like compared to the old release?

8. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    Isn't Highlander one of the shot on film, but assembled on video shows from the 90's? I picked up a blu-ray set of season 2 in a used store years ago as a curiosity. I wasn't all that impressed. I never really was a fan and sold it a year or so ago. I hope those who like it won't be disappointed.

Bob Gu likes this.
  9. Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson Stunt Coordinator

Ronnie
    $40. I wonder how many DVDs they crammed these onto... Either way, I think I'll pass on this since I have the original sets and doubt VEI can top those.

Bob Gu likes this.
  10. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I was not of big fan of HIGHLANDER either, but liked the historical flashbacks. I was interested enough to watch the theatrical movies the show was based on, but was disappointed that the how and why the immortality thing worked was never really explained.

11. mattfire64

mattfire64 Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    I was a bit miffed when I saw that VEI was getting Highlander after I just took the effort to buy the old DVD releases (sans the final season, which is WAY overpriced on the third party market), but go figure...

According to a preliminary Amazon listing, this set is slated to be on 23 discs. By comparison the region 4 complete series set is on 46 (!) discs. Ouch.

Also, the discs on the old Anchor Bay Highlander sets have 3 to 4 episodes per disc. The old sets from Anchor Bay also have a lot of special features (commentaries, character profiles for every episode, outtakes, etc.) which I imagine maybe some of which will be brought over to this newer release. I do believe Highlander was shot on tape, but it is less murky looking than some other shows from the same era (DS9 comes to mind).

As for the show itself, it doesn't really begin to pick up until the second season when the Watchers are introduced. The first season was good to introduce the characters and hand the baton over from the movie series, but the introduction of the Watchers gives the series an Arc that ties things together and makes it unique from the movie series.

Since VEI has released several different Sci Fi series over the past year (Poltergeist: The Legacy, Viper, Highlander), I do wish they would look into releasing some series that haven't seen DVD release yet (Sightings, The Burning Zone, The Visitor, Prey, Brimstone).

Flashgear and Bob Gu like this.
  12. Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson Stunt Coordinator

Ronnie
    The series was shot on 16mm film and edited on video. During the production of the original DVDs Bill Panzer claimed a good chunk of the negatives had burned up but years later series producer Donald Paonessa claimed the negatives were safely stored away. Who is actually right I can't really say but I'd probably give more credence to Panzer.

mattfire64 and Bob Gu like this.
  13. AndyMcKinney

Probably doesn't matter anyway. Doubt anyone would go to the expense of re-assembling everything from the 16mm elements, overlaying new on-screen captions, replacing any video effects (if there were any...I didn't watch this show).

14. JayHink

JayHink Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    I, too, have spare copies of Matt Houston & Hotel season 1 releases where I'd like to sell off the VEI versions & keep the CBS/Paramount versions. Thought about doing it on eBay with a clear description they're the VEI versions. Haven't gotten around to it though.

15. westumulka

westumulka Stunt Coordinator

Wes Tumulka
    Yes... it arrived today (along with The Division). but not had a chance to watch it yet. Still working my way through season 1 of The Outer Limits on blu...

Bob Gu and Blimpoy06 like this.