What's new

WISEGUY release from VEI (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Do we know if the two-parters vary from their movie-length versions? (footage missing/added).
I was comparing the 95 minute Studioworks version of the pilot to the VEI 2-part version, and it looks like Part 1 ends when the cops pull over Vinnie and Tony Greco, and a stenciled “To Be Continued” appears, followed by a new end credits sequence that’s different from the extended version. Part 2 starts without a recap, but does repeat the start of the scene where they get pulled over. I’ll have to do a rewatch of the full episodes and see if any material was added or removed in the 2-part version, which I haven’t viewed in a long time.

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
I was comparing the 95 minute Studioworks version of the pilot to the VEI 2-part version, and it looks like Part 1 ends when the cops pull over Vinnie and Tony Greco, and a stenciled “To Be Continued” appears, followed by a new end credits sequence that’s different from the extended version. Part 2 starts without a recap, but does repeat the start of the scene where they get pulled over. I’ll have to do a rewatch of the full episodes and see if any material was added or removed in the 2-part version, which I haven’t viewed in a long time.
Just bought the first Studioworks set, but it does not work. Discs look perfect, but will not play at all. I am guessing disc rot. Need to order another one.

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a picture of the mint StudioWorks discs. The first three do not load at all. The last one loads. I wonder of I just got a bad set or if others are experiencing dvdrot on their sets.

Attachments

• 0D475CC4-4BD3-4C5E-AC5D-B8F8D881F6C2.jpeg
    0D475CC4-4BD3-4C5E-AC5D-B8F8D881F6C2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
Received my second set of Season 1 Part 1 StudioWorks Set from Ebay today and none of the discs in that set work at all. I wonder how many of these are affected by disc rot.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Received my second set of Season 1 Part 1 StudioWorks Set from Ebay today and none of the discs in that set work at all. I wonder how many of these are affected by disc rot.

Why would that StudioWorks Wiseguy volume release refuse to function, regardless of how the discs look?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's not necessarily a case of rot. Even rotted discs tend to at least load up. While I'm unclear what is meant exactly by "refuse to function", I've encountered discs -- DVDs, BDs, and UHDs, new out of the wrapper -- that would not even load. The player simply did not recognize that there was a disc in the player.

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
It's not necessarily a case of rot. Even rotted discs tend to at least load up. While I'm unclear what is meant exactly by "refuse to function", I've encountered discs -- DVDs, BDs, and UHDs, new out of the wrapper -- that would not even load. The player simply did not recognize that there was a disc in the player.
I tried discs the in 2 different blu-ray players, 2 different dvd players and 2 different computers and get the following. I am pretty sure this is either disc rot or a glue layer issue like the Anchor Bay or Warner discs. The only other disc that I had that behaved like this was Space Camp many years ago. Space Camp was confirmed by the manufacture to be a layer glue issue. They replaced the disc years ago. Anyway the Millcreek version that I also received today has the Good lovin scene intact and the pilot is split, but at first glance it looks complete. I would rather have the Studioworks set to compliment the Vei set as I am guessing the picture quality will be much better.

Attachments

• 38C263AF-A47E-45E9-84DC-A2F20A93CF12.jpeg
    38C263AF-A47E-45E9-84DC-A2F20A93CF12.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 31
  • 36A40C54-FEE0-416B-84B3-95E0FD9A631E.jpeg
    36A40C54-FEE0-416B-84B3-95E0FD9A631E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 4B030E3E-E007-40BD-A496-D2A6AF93CC7E.jpeg
    4B030E3E-E007-40BD-A496-D2A6AF93CC7E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 36
  • CAC9B750-825A-43A3-9B96-F49B084B35F6.jpeg
    CAC9B750-825A-43A3-9B96-F49B084B35F6.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I’ll give my Studioworks discs a spin tomorrow and see if they still work. I ripped them to mp4s to stream on my Apple TV devices a few years ago (so that I no longer need to use the discs), and had no problems reading the discs at the time. Maybe they’ve deteriorated since?

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
I’ll give my Studioworks discs a spin tomorrow and see if they still work. I ripped them to mp4s to stream on my Apple TV devices a few years ago (so that I no longer need to use the discs), and had no problems reading the discs at the time. Maybe they’ve deteriorated since?
That would be great when you get a chance, it would help me decide if I should try to get another set.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you're like me and haven't put down your money for the DVD release yet, you can wait a week or two and buy the show on Blu-ray.

Al_D

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if the put the few cut songs back in for the blu-ray. I also wonder if it really is in hi-def.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if the put the few cut songs back in for the blu-ray. I also wonder if it really is in hi-def.

Probably not on the songs, and if Wiseguy was filmed odds are it'll look better on Blu than the usual VEI cramjob DVDs anyway.

I may wind up being the guinea pig for this one when it comes out. I was going to buy the DVDs anyway, and the extra $20 for Blu is worth it to me.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I’m curious if these are the exact same transfers as those used for the DVDs. If so, and I suspect they probably are, I’m curious how the last couple seasons will look in HD, considering they were originally shot on film but edited on SD video. They were supposedly remastered almost 20 years ago for their original Studioworks DVD release, but no clue if that was an HD remaster or not.

Very skeptical on this one as to the quality and whether it will be a dramatic difference from the DVD versions.

Edit: I looked at the “HD” versions streaming on the Peacock and Roku apps (at least, “HD“ according to the Just Watch app) and they don’t look that much different to me in terms of picture or audio quality. They appear to be the same transfers as the SD/DVD versions, no new remastering that I can tell. Will be eager to hear The Obsolete Man’s verdict regarding the Blu-rays. Hopefully they’re a nice upgrade on the discs, but I’m holding off for now.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wish when I ordered this direct from VEI (just five weeks ago), that I knew a Blu-Ray release was imminent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks