What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Also with some of the more recently released VEI sets, it appears they're going straight to new never-before-released sets crammed with 6-episodes per dvd disc.

Recently I purchased the revived The Untouchables (from 1993-1994) and Martial Law complete series dvd sets, which were released last year by VEI.

The Untouchables was a 7-disc set, with 6 episodes crammed per dvd disc. Using the computer I checked the file sizes of the episodes, where they were around 1.3 gigabytes per episode.

Martial Law was a 10-disc set, with 4 or 5 episodes per dvd disc. On the surface this may sound "acceptable", until I checked the episode file sizes using the computer. It turned out, the episodes were also around 1.3 gigabytes per episode. (ie. Lots of empty unused space on the discs).

Also I checked the file sizes on the low-budget disc-reduced version of the Cannon complete series set. On the 6-episode discs, the episodes were around 1.3 gigabytes per episode. On the 7-episode discs, the episodes were around 1 gigabyte per episode.

In contrast, I checked the file sizes from other dvd sets I have, such as Stargate franchise. For example, many of the Stargate Atlantis episodes were around 1.75 to 1.85 gigabytes per episode. On the season 1 set of Stargate SG-1, the 5-episode discs had episodes which were around 1.4 gigabytes per episode. (It might not matter as much, since the first three seasons of Stargate SG-1 were allegedly shot on 16mm film).

So in summary, the Martial Law and revived The Untouchables dvd sets released by VEI, are effectively the same technical software quality as the "4-disc seasons" in various VEI "low-budget disc-reduced" complete series sets with 6-episodes (or 7-episodes) crammed per dvd disc. As far as I can figure out, this is the first time these two shows were officially released as complete series dvd sets. (Though some Martial Law episodes were previously released on vcd in hong kong, more than a decade ago).

I would guess VEI might be using the same 6 or 7 episode template authoring program for a lot of their recent dvd sets. (I also suspect Warner might be doing something similar, judging by the episode file sizes on their recent tv bluray sets).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Looks like VEI just reissued The Mod Squad on a 20 disc set for only 30 bucks. Keep in mind however that the original set consisted of 39 (!) discs.

20 discs would be consistent with 4-discs per season, with 6 or 7 episodes crammed per disc. (IIRC, seasons 1 and 2 were 26 episodes each, while seasons 3 to 5 were 24 episodes each).

IIRC the earlier VEI season sets were 8-disc sets, except for season 2 (which was 7 discs).

No idea why they originally did them as 8-disc (or 7-disc) season sets, when the picture quality was kinda crappy for seasons 3 to 5.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The difference in video quality was very noticeable at least in my system. If I had a choice between a 20 disc set or one with four or five episodes per disc I would definitely spend the extra $20 dollars or so on the better set.

This is only true when the 4 or 5 episodes per disc are done "properly", where the transfers are decent AND are encoded into 1.8 to 1.9+ gigabyte sized episode files for four episodes per disc, or 1.6 to 1.7 gigabyte sized episodes files for five episodes per disc. (Such as the Stargate Atlantis dvd season sets, or the later seasons of Stargate SG-1 after season 3).

On the other hand, if the 4 or 5 episodes per disc are encoded like what was done for Martial Law with 1.3 gigabyte sized episode files for just about every episode, then it will be just as awful as 6 episodes crammed onto a single dvd disc.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Awhile ago I purchased the low-budget disc-reduced version of The Equalizer. I suspect it was originally intended to be 4-discs per season, but my copy of season 2 turned out to be 6-discs.

In terms of technical/physical disc quality, the 6-disc season 2 set was probably from older inventory. When I checked the 6 discs on the computer, it was considerably inferior when it comes to readability. It was obvious from watching the realtime statistics dumped by the computer program checking the discs.

I looked more closely at the IFPI codes on The Equalizer dvd dics.

http://wiki.musik-sammler.de/index.php?title=IFPI-Codes#SID-Codes_Presswerk_90.2A.2A_-_9Z.2A.2A
http://pinkfloydarchives.com/IFPI.htm

My copy had 4-disc sets for seasons 1, 3 and 4 of The Equalizer. These 4-disc sets have an IFPI facility code of 9F** which appears to be a plant previously owned by Crest Digital. (All the discs had "made in canada" written in the inner ring).

Apparent Crest Digital closed shop back in September 2012. So most likely somebody in canada owns the equipment which use to be used by Crest Digital.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crest_Digital

Other 2015-2016 VEI releases, also had IFPI facility code 9F** such as: Hollywood Wives, the low-budget disc-reduced verison of Cagney & Lacey, Martial Law, the revived The Untouchables, etc ...

In my copy of the 6-disc season 2 of The Equalizer, the discs have an IFPI facility code of 9B** which appears to be a plant previously owned by Metatec International. (There was no "made in ...." statement written in the inner ring).

Doing some googling, it appears Metatec sold their opitical disc replication facilities to Medius Corp sometime in the early 2000s. Medius Corp appears to be primarily a document/printing company, where optical disc manufacturing is something they also do.

None of these operations appear to be big players in the optical disc manufacturing business.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the case of the low-budget disc-reduced version of the Cannon complete series set, the IFPI facility code is 81** and has "RSBiMEDIA" written in the disc's inner ring.

IFPI facility code 81** is the former Disque Americ plant in Drummondville, Quebec in canada. Apparently this Drummondville plant was closed back in 2011.

https://www.discogs.com/label/271397-Disque-Americ

(en francais)
http://www.lapresse.ca/la-tribune/a...1-produits-disque-americ-ferme-ses-portes.php

RSBiMEDIA appears to have purchased the old optical disc manufacturing equipment after Disque Americ closed down the plant, and set up shop somewhere else in montreal, canada.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In my copy of the 6-disc season 2 of The Equalizer, the discs have an IFPI facility code of 9B** which appears to be a plant previously owned by Metatec International.

Looking at the VEI timeline and the quantity + vitriol of complaints about defective discs on amazon, I'm guessing that the worst problems happened sometime over 2012 -> 2014/2015. I don't have many of these initial more expensive complete series set versions from the 2012 -> 2014 time period, such as: In Search Of, Cagney & Lacey, The Equalizer, Diagnosis Murder, etc ...

Though if I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if they were sets with discs manufactured at the plant with IFPI facility code 9B**

The VEI dvd sets I have which were released before 2011, didn't have these severe defective disc problems. (Many of these older pre-2011 VEI dvd sets didn't have any obvious IFPI numbers stated on the discs which were readable with a magnifying lens).

Perhaps sometime in 2015, VEI changed to a different plant with IFPI facility code 9F** in the hope that there will be less defective discs.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Perhaps sometime in 2015, VEI changed to a different plant with IFPI facility code 9F** in the hope that there will be less defective discs.

I read through more amazon reviews of VEI titles released over late-2015 and 2016, in regard to defective discs.

The more expensive VEI complete series sets released over mid -> late 2015, still had lots of complaints about defective discs, such as: Cannon, The Sentinel, Grace Under Fire, etc ... (Less so for Hotel and Barnaby Jones). The individual season sets of these same shows were gradually released over the first half of 2016, which also had some complaints about defective discs. Though not to the same extreme levels of vitriol over 2012 -> early-2015.

The latter half of 2016 has several new complete series releases, such as: Martial Law, Petrocelli, Matt Houston, etc ... along with low-budget disc-reduced versions of previous complete series sets, such as: Cannon, Hotel, Nash Bridges, The Equalizer, Grace Under Fire, etc ... It may be too soon to say, but currently there doesn't appear to be as many complaints about defective discs.

Whether changing disc manufacturers from IFPI 9F** (owner unknown) to IFPI 81** (RSB iMEDIA) is making much of a difference, remains to be seen.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Looking at the VEI timeline and the quantity + vitriol of complaints about defective discs on amazon, I'm guessing that the worst problems happened sometime over 2012 -> 2014/2015. I don't have many of these initial more expensive complete series set versions from the 2012 -> 2014 time period, such as: In Search Of, Cagney & Lacey, The Equalizer, Diagnosis Murder, etc ...

Though if I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if they were sets with discs manufactured at the plant with IFPI facility code 9B**

Earlier today I decided to dig out my VEI released Mod Squad dvd sets from storage.

From memory and looking up the release dates on amazon and tvshowsondvd, these Mod Squad sets were manufactured and released during 2013-2014. Just right in the middle of the worst vitriolic spell of defective discs complaints in the amazon comments.

Looking through some of these VEI manufactured Mod Squad discs, they had an IFPI facility code of 9B**

Just as I suspected.

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Earlier today I decided to dig out my VEI released Mod Squad dvd sets from storage.

From memory and looking up the release dates on amazon and tvshowsondvd, these Mod Squad sets were manufactured and released during 2013-2014. Just right in the middle of the worst vitriolic spell of defective discs complaints in the amazon comments.

Looking through some of these VEI manufactured Mod Squad discs, they had an IFPI facility code of 9B**

Just as I suspected.

You know your codes, jcroy. I respect that.

---james

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(This is purely speculation).

I'm guessing the first VEI dvd set which used IFPI facility 9B** might have been the 1975 The Invisible Man complete series set, which was released in June 2012.

Awhile ago I went through several copies of this 1975 Invisible Man set, which had the same bad sectors appearing at approximately the same spot. (I ended up getting a refund). Most likely it was from the same batch of discs, which turned out to be defective. Several comments on amazon describing the same problem, at approximately the same place on the same affected discs. (At the time, I didn't bother paying attention to and reading IFPI codes on dvd discs).

If VEI releases this 1975 Invisible Man set again with a different pressing, I may try again.

The next big set after Invisible Man, appears to be the Cagney & Lacey complete series sets which were first released in August 2012. Not surprisingly, these were the earliest sets with tons of vitriol about defective discs in the amazon comments.

I don't have any of these earlier Cagney & Lacey sets. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they were manufactured at IFPI facility 9B**

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Jcroy, I don't know if this is useful info for you or not...my Petrocelli VEI set, which is glitch free, has "Made in Canada Nov. 26 2016" laser inscribed on the discs...with IFPI LO11 (really hard to read, hope that's right)...my newly re-issued 20 disc Cannon, of which I've watched about two thirds of the run with no issues, and spot checked the rest, has your previously reported "RSBI Media IFPI 81AB" ...and my Riptide complete series from VEI has IFPI L486...I have not watched that in it's entirety either, but so far no issues there as well...

Personally, as I saw no PQ degradation between my old CBS issued 5 disc season 1 of Cannon compared to the corresponding 4 disc season 1 in the new disc reduced set, and the fact that none of the episodes were remastered anyway...I would definitely recommend the 20 disc reduced set at the much lower price over the older 33 disc set...It doesn't bother me that I don't have the "Return of Frank Cannon" reunion movie...which was apparently included in the older set...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thanks for the info Flashgear.

I'm guessing Petrocelli was probably manufactured at IFPI facility 9F** judging by the official release date and the "Made in Canada Nov. 26 2016" inscription.

The change from IFPI 9F** (unknown) to IFPI 81** (RSB iMedia), seems to have been very recent possibly starting with the low-budget disc-reduced version of Cannon (with 20 discs). If I had to guess, the recently released low-budget disc-reduced version of Mod Squad (with 20 discs) might possibly be manufactured at IFPI 81** (RSB iMedia).

For VEI stuff released before 2012 such as Riptide, Hardcastle, etc ... they appeared to have used a better manufacturer. I'll have to take a look again at my copies of Riptide, Hardcastle, Bizzare, etc ... Some of the 2010-2011 VEI titles don't seem to have any IFPI facility codes written on the first inner circles of the discs, such as "McMillan and Wife".

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Personally, as I saw no PQ degradation between my old CBS issued 5 disc season 1 of Cannon compared to the corresponding 4 disc season 1 in the new disc reduced set, and the fact that none of the episodes were remastered anyway...I would definitely recommend the 20 disc reduced set at the much lower price over the older 33 disc set...

At this point another reason why I would be more inclined to buy the low-budget disc-reduced versions of various VEI complete series sets, is that the more recent late-2016 IFPI 9F** (unknown) and IFPI 81** (RSB iMEDIA) manufactured discs seem to be less glitchy.

When the transfers are really old crappy ones from the 1980s (or earlier), or were poorly edited entirely on sd videotape during the late-1980s and/or 1990s, then cramming 6 or 7 episodes onto a disc might not be quite as annoying. (ie. No subsequent newer transfers).

The hard part is figuring out which shows had decent transfers, and which ones were crap.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The hard part is figuring out which shows had decent transfers, and which ones were crap.

For example according to the CBS syndication bible, there exists HD transfers for the final few seasons of Diagnosis Murder.

http://syndicationbible.cbstvd.com/series/diagnosis_murder/diagnosis_murder.htm

At this point I can't figure out whether VEI actually used these HD transfers for their seasons 7 and 8 dvd sets. Very few comments on the amazon pages for various Diagnosis Murder dvd sets (both indivdual and complete series) have mention anything detailed about the video quality.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally).

I have no idea why VEI has been recently pumping out all these upscaled sd blurays.

The only semi-plausible reason I can think of offhand, would be if VEI signed a sweetheart deal with RSB iMEDIA to manufacture their dvds and blurays. If you look up RSBiMEDIA's web page, they do offer bluray manufacturing.

Otherwise these large multidisc bluray sets would be quite expensive to do, if there wasn't a sweet deal involved.

Last edited:

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew

I currently own a total of four VEI sets. Obviously, 'Cannon' has already been discussed extensively, but 'In Search Of' also looks like it was sourced from videotape copies that were probably made for The History Channel back in the late 90s. Since the source footage of ISO never looked great to begin with, not too many people have questioned it.

Another VEI set I own which is hardly discussed around in these circles is 'The Sentinel'. Being a more recent series from the 90s, picture quality isn't a real issue. I have however noticed some very distracting audio issues that take place mostly on the episodes of Season 2 Disc 2. One episode in particular ('Payback') has an audio anomaly that lasts the entire episode. The episode's music soundtrack and sound effect track have some serious phasing issues, making everything sound like it is underwater. Dialogue is unaffected however, so it makes me wonder if something got messed up with the Dolby Surround process with these episodes. Also on an unrelated note, the credits sequences for certain episodes starting with season 2 appear to only exist in "crunched credits" form. The credits for these episodes play out in a tiny black bar at the bottom of the screen, and a giant static logo for The Sentinel appears at the top of the screen where network commercials would have gone.

Lastly, The Mod Squad has great prints for all of it's seasons. Season 1 and 2 are sourced from CBS's own HD transfers that they created for DVD, and Season 3-5 are sourced from transfers created by the show's former distributor Worldvision back in the mid 90s. The Worldvision prints however appear to be sourced from 35mm and actually include 'In Color' bumpers at the beginning of episodes plus the mid-episode bumper as well. The quality of these "unremastered" seasons look almost as good as CBS's own HD prints to these eyes, so I'd definitely recommend avoiding the new 20-disc set they just put out as the PQ is likely to be terrible.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Lastly, The Mod Squad has great prints for all of it's seasons. Season 1 and 2 are sourced from CBS's own HD transfers that they created for DVD, and Season 3-5 are sourced from transfers created by the show's former distributor Worldvision back in the mid 90s. The Worldvision prints however appear to be sourced from 35mm and actually include 'In Color' bumpers at the beginning of episodes plus the mid-episode bumper as well. The quality of these "unremastered" seasons look almost as good as CBS's own HD prints to these eyes, so I'd definitely recommend avoiding the new 20-disc set they just put out as the PQ is likely to be terrible.

I watched through some of my 2013-2014 VEI released Mod Squad dvds yesterday, and noticed the seasons 3, 4, and 5 video quality appears to be similar to the video quality on the first released Hawaii Five-O season 10 dvd set which purportedly didn't use an HD transfer.

Other than the faded colors, the print looked clear enough to my eyes for something that is not HD restored. (Dunno when that non-hd Hawaii Five-O season 10 transfer was made).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another VEI set I own which is hardly discussed around in these circles is 'The Sentinel'. Being a more recent series from the 90s, picture quality isn't a real issue.

(More generally).

For a lot of 1990s era shows (and some late-1980s shows), I'm guessing many were edited entirely on sd videotape in postproduction.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of them are also using these same crappy sd transfers on various dvd releases, typically with the hard telecine left in intact (ie. the "comb effect").

The 1990s is probably also "too recent" for many movie companies to have created "newer" transfers for these late-80s or 1990s era shows which were edited on sd videotape. So unless a particular show is an A++ title (such as Star Trek: The Next Generation) or was done entirely in HD resolution from the start (such as Star Trek: Enterprise, CSI, etc ...), then most likely the movie studio isn't going to invest in an hd transfer. So we're more or less stuck with whatever crappy sd transfers were used back in the original first-run broadcasts or subsequent off-network syndicated reruns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks