What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yep - there's a catch with the new cheaper "Hotel" set - it's 20 discs instead of 29 from the older set. I'm going to have to think more carefully about which set I eventually get.

Being 20 discs on this newer Hotel lot release, do you think that VEI will put more episodes per disc on each disc, like Mill Creek has done with all their lot releases?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That's a foregone conclusion. I may opt for the more expensive set after all.

And that, to me, would be the smarter buy, because most of the discs in that one have only 4 episodes per disc (only a few have 5), and also, the discs are packaged far better in that 29-disc version (which leads me to ask, since there are fewer discs, how do you think the packaging will go on the newer 20-disc version?).

Skywalker79

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
How are the discs stored in this new set? Are they cardboard sleeves like Millcreek's sets? Just curious--I can live with cheaper packaging if it means a cheaper price
No cardboard sleeves. Similar to other VEI releases. Each season has it's own case and they all hold 4 discs, 2 on each side. Except for season 2 of the Equalizer which was a 6 disc set although that was probably an error on their part.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Four grabs from the German Petrocelli release, top two are the TV movie which is sharper than the episodes but all look perfectly watchable.

pe.png
per.png

pertg.png
perr.png

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Yep - there's a catch with the new cheaper "Hotel" set - it's 20 discs instead of 29 from the older set. I'm going to have to think more carefully about which set I eventually get.

Wow, that's a little sneaky. Thanks for pointing that out, probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
That's good news. It was nice to know that the German set was out there just in case, but I'm glad that VEI is going ahead with the Region 1 release. Hopefully the episodes will be uncut.

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Just received the Petrocelli set today. Spot checked all episodes. All episodes appear to be uncut except for the pilot. After the opening theme, the sequence that would show the writer, director and guest stars is missing. Can someone please verify if that's correct?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just received the Petrocelli set today. Spot checked all episodes. All episodes appear to be uncut except for the pilot. After the opening theme, the sequence that would show the writer, director and guest stars is missing. Can someone please verify if that's correct?

I don't have VEI's Petrocelli release, so I can't necessarily answer your question, but WRT the part you're speaking of (I refer to these credits as "creative credits," but I've seen them called "personnel credits" and "opening credits" as well), the absence of those over the first act of the episode was part and parcel of 50s television (said credits were part of the closing credits at the bottom of the episode then), and as such, I don't know why they'd be missing from a release of a 70s series like Petrocelli (although such was the case on Barney Miller, that the credits for the producer, director, writer, et al. would be at the bottom of the episode).

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
I don't have VEI's Petrocelli release, so I can't necessarily answer your question, but WRT the part you're speaking of (I refer to these credits as "creative credits," but I've seen them called "personnel credits" and "opening credits" as well), the absence of those over the first act of the episode was part and parcel of 50s television (said credits were part of the closing credits at the bottom of the episode then), and as such, I don't know why they'd be missing from a release of a 70s series like Petrocelli (although such was the case on Barney Miller, that the credits for the producer, director, writer, et al. would be at the bottom of the episode).

Since it was the pilot, I was thinking that those credits might be at the end. But the credits at the end list the usual editors, and other tech credits only. That's what leads me to assume that in the pilot, that segment has been cut. The running time of the pilot in the set is a few seconds over 70 minutes. For a 90 minute time slot back in 1974, that's shy by about 5 minutes. Not a deal breaker since every other episode in the set is uncut and the prints look very good.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just received the Petrocelli set today. Spot checked all episodes. All episodes appear to be uncut except for the pilot.

Based on the uncut episodes, I have ordered this from VEI, price is now down to $39.99. Amazon is still at $66.66. I have received a shipping notice and can hardly wait to begin enjoying this show once more.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Ah, I see you've ordered direct from VEI...good deal, Doug, and you will have it before Christmas...I have never ordered direct from their site, but from what I see here, their customer service is very good...

I hope you post your impressions on the set, once you have a chance...I'll be getting mine in January...very happy to see the initial reports of uncut episodes from very good elements...

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll post when I get it. Seems like their response time has been excellent so far. Within a few hours of placing the order, I had a receipt and then a shipping notice with a tracking number. I have been suitably impressed.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Looks like VEI just reissued The Mod Squad on a 20 disc set for only 30 bucks. Keep in mind however that the original set consisted of 39 (!) discs. Here's the Amazon link to the new set:

https://www.amazon.com/Squad-Complete-Collection-seasons-episodes/dp/B01LTHOP76/

I hope that all these reissues doesn't mean that VEI has chickened out on releasing all the shows that they promised back in 2015. I personally was looking forward to Viper, The Magician and The Immortal. I also e-mailed VEI about Viper several months back and never got a reply, so I don't really like the direction that this seems to be taking...

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
When I purchased the Cagney and Lacey set they accidentally put one of the compressed four disc seasons in. They were very good about replacing it with the correct six disc set and let me keep the compressed one. The difference in video quality was very noticeable at least in my system. If I had a choice between a 20 disc set or one with four or five episodes per disc I would definitely spend the extra $20 dollars or so on the better set.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Sounds ^ like lousy quality control in packaging/assembling of the sets.

Awhile ago I purchased the low-budget disc-reduced version of The Equalizer. I suspect it was originally intended to be 4-discs per season, but my copy of season 2 turned out to be 6-discs.

In terms of technical/physical disc quality, the 6-disc season 2 set was probably from older inventory. When I checked the 6 discs on the computer, it was considerably inferior when it comes to readability. It was obvious from watching the realtime statistics dumped by the computer program checking the discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Surprisingly, the Cagney & Lacey sets have almost completely disappeared from VEI's web site. (ie. Did they recall them?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks