What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I officially retired buying my movies from anywhere except Amazon back in 2007 after bucking the trend for far too long and paying far too much when moneys could have been allocated better elsewhere. The one complaint about on-line shopping I have is that you don't get your stuff 'day-in-date' which is, I suspect the only real reason brick n' mortar stores for home video purchases are still in existence. Price point wise, they cannot compete. I sincerely wish Amazon could work out a schedule whereupon they could ship new releases out a couple of days ahead of their actual release so they arrived on my front porch exactly on the scheduled release date.

Why is this important? I'm not in a hurry for anything as I'm pretty sure I can find something that I can watch from the hundreds of thousands of hours of sports and series that I already have. Other than maybe Hank or The Lieutenant, I can't really think of too many TV DVD releases of shows that I didn't already have anyway, although not as good quality.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why is this important? I'm not in a hurry for anything as I'm pretty sure I can find something that I can watch from the hundreds of thousands of hours of sports and series that I already have. Other than maybe Hank or The Lieutenant, I can't really think of too many TV DVD releases of shows that I didn't already have anyway, although not as good quality.
That plus by using "slow shipping" I get either a $1 "digital credit" or a $5 "Prime Pantry" credit to use later. I've "purchased" the last 3 seasons of Green Acres (that Fox can't be bothered to give a proper release) as well as dozens of movies this way. All "free" just for waiting another day or three for something to arrive. The Prime Pantry credits stack with the "Buy 5 get free shipping on your box" offer so I always do a combo and save a few $$ over local stores (i.e. WM - who I dislike even more than Amazon).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why would they make the great deals (or many of them) Prime-exclusive?! I don't get that.

Obviously, to entice people to join Prime.

My guess is it's Amazon's way of trying to get more people to sign on to their service for extra $$. :unsure:
Often these "Prime exclusive" offers are a PM to another vendor - usually BB or WM - and typically only when the price is really low. I have Prime so it doesn't bother me - but if I didn't I'd frequently be a bit irritated. In this case it's neither of those as they don't carry VEI titles. VEI's price is ~$30 so maybe it's just an inventory clearance deal.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If you dare make mention on the CBS HE Facebook page of them stalling out shows, you're shown the door post haste!

Interesting.

I don't check their fb page often. Every once in a while I do, and noticed the lack of multiple vitriolic posts/threads on there.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Often these "Prime exclusive" offers are a PM to another vendor - usually BB or WM - and typically only when the price is really low. I have Prime so it doesn't bother me - but if I didn't I'd frequently be a bit irritated. In this case it's neither of those as they don't carry VEI titles. VEI's price is ~$30 so maybe it's just an inventory clearance deal.

I strongly suspect this might be the case ^.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, for the past few months the Cannon set was on the shelves at nearby Wallyworlds for around 26$ a pop. (This might be a local thing and not at a wide scale).

In past recent times, I rarely ever seen VEI titles sitting on the shelves at Wallyworld for multiple months at a time. (Usually they sat on the shelves for at most a month or so).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I strongly suspect this might be the case ^.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, for the past few months the Cannon set was on the shelves at nearby Wallyworlds for around 26$ a pop. (This might be a local thing and not at a wide scale).

In past recent times, I rarely ever seen VEI titles sitting on the shelves at Wallyworld for multiple months at a time. (Usually they sat on the shelves for at most a month or so).
Yeah... Others have mentioned VEI on the shelves at WM. I've never seen them at the stores here so it could also be a regional thing (I'm in the Mid-South - we get lots of "rural" TV shows others don't seem to get).

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I buy most of my DVD/BDs online these days. However, when I'm actually at a b&m store for something else, I'll usually scan the shelves. Sometimes I find something I hadn't thought about and will buy it. But yeah, the selection just gets smaller and smaller every year.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I buy most of my DVD/BDs online these days. However, when I'm actually at a b&m store for something else, I'll usually scan the shelves. Sometimes I find something I hadn't thought about and will buy it. But yeah, the selection just gets smaller and smaller every year.

That it does-- however, that does not mean that I have not found deals (like the first two seasons' worth [and the first parts of the fourth and fifth] of Have Gun, Will Travel for $10 apiece).

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
While I buy most of my tv shows on dvd from Amazon or importcds, I still enjoy visiting my local Wal-Mart. For whatever reason the store nearest my home has always stocked the Shout/Timeless exclusives, so it's fun to swing by on my way home from work and purchase those. When I bought the Westerner, the clerk who checked me out picked up the case and said, "Hmmm, Brian Keith - I love him. I may have to buy this".

My best Wal-Mart day was three years ago when the first season of Batman was released. I didn't want to buy the complete series with the digi-pack cases and all the toys, but it was the only time I ever wanted something as soon as I could get it, so I stopped by WM and purchased Batman season 1 at a great price and was able to start viewing later that evening.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Here's my 2eurocents on this tangential topic).

I'll check out dvd/bluray sections offline when I'm doing my weekly shopping at places like Costco, Wallyworld, etc ...

Though if I drive to another part of town for whatever reasons (ie. doctor appointments, visiting friends/relatives, etc ..), then I'll check out some other places in that particular part of town for dvds/blurays, such as: various discount stores, thrift shops, dollar stores, etc ... which are in the area of my destination (or on the way there).

Otherwise, nowadays I don't go out of my way driving around town just to go strictly "shopping" for dvds/blurays (or any other heavily discounted junk). Easier to just order from amazon.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Yeah... Others have mentioned VEI on the shelves at WM. I've never seen them at the stores here so it could also be a regional thing (I'm in the Mid-South - we get lots of "rural" TV shows others don't seem to get).
Rural shows and westerns is what I've noticed a lot of in Blytheville and Kennett Walmarts. Caruthersville was closed a few months ago, and they just seemed to get whatever.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Caruthersville was closed a few months ago, and they just seemed to get whatever.

Do you mean by that that the Wal-Mart there more likely had the DVDs of today's shows than the shows of the past, or does this simply mean that they got whatever was delivered?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this up: came into receipt earlier of my purchase of VEI's condensed all-in-one of Cannon, and surprisingly, it is not packaged as I thought it would be; in fact, it is packaged, at least IMO, somewhat better.

How is it better? This way: it has a thick, black, hard keepcase in a slipcover, and inside that keepcase is a folio of ten two-sided disc holders, each side of each holder holding one of the 20 discs in this release.

Why do I think it's better? Because had it been as the pictures on the Amazon entry show (go down to Customer Images on this newer all-in-one and see), I don't know if I would have been able to even get the discs out.

Attached is a picture of that folio showing Discs 2 and 3 of the first season.

Also, here is the Amazon entry for this newer Cannon all-in-one:
https://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Compl...91&sr=1-1&keywords=Cannon+complete+collection

005.JPG

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I have read where people say that having so many episodes per disc is not good for picture quality and Cannon does not have that good picture quality anyway due to the old transfers used. I have the 2015 Cannon Complete Set and it contains 31 Discs instead of 20 so there are fewer Episodes per disc. Also the 2015 31 Disc Complete Set has The Return Of Frank Cannon included and I have read where The Return Of Frank Cannon is not on the cheaper 20 Disc set. Is this true?
Thanks!
Robert
Bumping this up: came into receipt earlier of my purchase of VEI's condensed all-in-one of Cannon, and surprisingly, it is not packaged as I thought it would be; in fact, it is packaged, at least IMO, somewhat better.

How is it better? This way: it has a thick, black, hard keepcase in a slipcover, and inside that keepcase is a folio of ten two-sided disc holders, each side of each holder holding one of the 20 discs in this release.

Why do I think it's better? Because had it been as the pictures on the Amazon entry show (go down to Customer Images on this newer all-in-one and see), I don't know if I would have been able to even get the discs out.

Attached is a picture of that folio showing Discs 2 and 3 of the first season.

Also, here is the Amazon entry for this newer Cannon all-in-one:
https://www.amazon.com/Cannon-Compl...91&sr=1-1&keywords=Cannon+complete+collection

View attachment 42897
here

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Mine didn't come with a disc wallet. It was just a stack of discs, all in cheap, white paper sleeves.

If you read his description, he says "all four discs". Almost sounds like he's only selling the first season (those are the only discs he shows any photos of, and his label covers up the part of the DVD case that says how many episodes are in the set).

If he's only selling Season 1, it could explain why the discs are in a wallet.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Mine didn't come with a disc wallet. It was just a stack of discs, all in cheap, white paper sleeves.

If you read his description, he says "all four discs". Almost sounds like he's only selling the first season (those are the only discs he shows any photos of, and his label covers up the part of the DVD case that says how many episodes are in the set).

If he's only selling Season 1, it could explain why the discs are in a wallet.

You know, I never even really thought about that-- I was so excited to finally get to see inside that Matt Houston release (a lot of these releases only have stock photos for them, and no photos of the actual packaging [back, inside, outside, discs]) that I failed to notice the key words in the description.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks