What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Based on posts I've read here, "OCD with DVD" doesn't only manifest as alphabetized collections. Some people need to have the boxes "match" - e.g. snappers with snappers, alphas with alphas, etc. so everything is even. I'm an alphabetizer myself and see the case matching as odd :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Damn, she took the Buffy sets too?! Now that hurts.

"You can take the car, the house, the kids if you want to... but you do NOT get to watch my fucking Buffy set!"

--
H

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I'm thinking that Fox might do the thin-pack discs for each set since that's what they've been into lately. There's 40 discs, 20 thinpacks sound about perfect.

Anyone know if they will do the region 1 complete Angel set with bonus too? I have never been as big of an Angel fan, but in a complete series box, I might bite the bullet and get it anyways if it's anywhere as good of a deal as the Buffy set.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

You mix your snappers with your keep cases? :eek:

I'll be skipping the Buffy sets because I already have them. But I'd jump on an X-Files set if it had a similar price. Still, I'd be worried about bad discs. There's no way you can watch every disc within the normal return period most stores have. So what happens when disc 5 of season 6 turns out to have problems?

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Well, at least it will be a show that you love.

If I liked this show, I would buy this. I just haven't been able to get into it, hard as I try (although I honestly haven't tried all that hard).

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I have all 7 seasons on DVD and saw this box and figured I'd jump on it - my wife would love it for Christmas. Then the other side of my brain took over and realized that I'm not getting much out of this since I already have the past 7 boxes. Plus, as mentioned above, am I going to watch EVERY disc in this box in the time it would take to return it? That's the flaw in big boxes like this.

And the "bonus" disc isn't worth it.

Pass.

Mike

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
TVshowsonDVD has some images up of the inside of the box. Not sure how it will fit on my shelf but I'm still interested even though it is very daunting thinking of tackling a 40 disc set.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
You know, after all the OAR vs. WS versions of BUFFY controversy that concluded with Joss making a personal statement with the sentence like, "You are getting the BEST representation of BUFFY.." yada, yada and yet with this Big old re-release with a new bonus disc, they still can't include an anamorphic transfer of one of the most beloved eps. OMWF. It's a shame. Even the UK had a standalone annie release for this ep. Wow, they blew it again.

d

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
And as far as I'm concerned if the S5 finale doesn't have the montage beginning, it is a cut version, period.

In no way do I regret having R2 copies of S5 - S7. Sorry Joss, that's the way it is.

-Lyle J.P.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya, Lyle. My fiancee is a newbie and we've been watching Buffy and Angel in order. The beginning of ANGEL epsiodes in later seasons can be quite jarring with no "previously on"'s. Especially if you have gone a few days between eps. A shame that they aren't there.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Video Business has full details on the bonus disc. Apparently none of the main actors except Nick Brendon, Charisma Carpenter and Emma Caulfield (and Danny "Jonathan" Strong, but he's more a recurring guest) took part in the new features:

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
We already knew that when Joss did a interview talking about filming the extras.

Does anyone have this(that guy does), if so, are all the old extras still on? I just sold off half my Buffy collection.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya, Lyle. I have the R2 S4-S7. With my new oppo dvd player outputting native PAL and my DLP showing the full res. of the PAL version, considerably better PQ then the R1's....
And I don't care what the excuse is re: a different production company did the "previously on's" or whatever, it's LAME that they aren't included on the R1 sets but ARE on the R2s...
:)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
all the ones missing the "previously" segments are cut, in my opinion, and it bothers me.

I'd consider buying region 2, and then watching them on a 4:3 TV zoomed.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Actually Rob, since they are anamorphic WS, if you zoom in you will lose the top and bottom of the image too.

I have both and prefer the WS.

And I think that since ANGEL season 2 was originally shown 4x3 but released on DVD in WS here in R1 shows that some grain of salt can be taken with Joss's announcements. :)
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Ordinarily, no. But in this case, the "previously on" wasn't a previously on by any normal definition. It did not recap anyhting of substance from the recent episodes. Instead, it acted as a bookend for the episode's amazing finale, plus the music from it transitions right into the episode itself.

It was clearly never meant to be cut.

That said, I would still prefer it if Previously On segments for all series were left intact. It's a feature I like.

As for the aspect ratio question, not to beat a dead horse, but each episode was shot with 16:9 equipment for the purpose of and with the knowledge that this is the way it would be exhibited in other markets. If preserving the 4:3 apsect ratio was so important to Joss, he could have insisted that everything be shot exclusively 4:3, which is the native resolution of 16mm and 35mm anyway.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks