What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. On a big screen, the first 2 seasons look pretty bad. They could look ALOT better. Even shot on 16mm, the transfers are pretty bad in the compression/authoring departments.
Here is part of DVDFile.com's review of season 2. I must say I agree...

Video: How Does The Disc Look?

The quality of the show's scripts may have improved with this second season, but the budget and production values did not change much. Still shot on 16mm film, night scenes are dark and grainy with weak shadow detail while day scenes are often flat and washed out. The image is occasionally fuzzy, and a few episodes (such as Some Assembly Required) have patches where the footage appears in absolutely horrible shape, looking like a multi-generation dupe print.

This is not to say that the series is poorly made or produced. Far from it, every dollar is put to creative use on screen and the direction is consistently tight and inspired. However, in the path from its less expensive cameras and film stock through to the editing and special effects that were completed in the video realm, the photographic image suffers from a chain of quality degradation prior to the show's broadcast masters. By necessity, these DVDs were transferred from those broadcast masters and cannot be remastered from the original film elements without redoing all of the post production work from scratch.

Exasperating these problems is the DVD's digital compression. Overall most episodes look similar in quality to those from the first season box set, which is to say pretty mediocre. There are also many instances when it looks noticeably worse. The entire first disc is just terrible, really. There are rampant problems with macro-blocking, pixel breakup, and smeared details. Some scenes, notably the very first scene in the very first episode, are so poorly compressed they look no better than a VCD. I'm not sure why the first disc caused such a problem, but things tend to even out after that for the majority of the other episodes. Compression problems are still noticeable and never entirely go away, but they seem less distracting in light of other visual deficiencies with the image. Then, unfortunately, things go wrong again in the final two episodes, portions of which are so soft and smeary they are indistinguishable from VHS.

The show's difficult photography, coupled with the need to cram four episodes to a disc with fancy animated menus (that are very repetitive and annoying), seem to have crippled the DVCC mastering facility, who have done better work with Fox's X-Files box sets. I don't think they took the quality of the source material into enough account when applying the video compression and the entire picture suffers as a result. This is very disappointing but again I must hold out hope for later seasons, when the show switched to 35mm film (in the third season) and underwent a significant budget increase (starting primarily in Season 4).

add to that all the combing problems due to these being flagged for fim mode, (progressively) when the show was edited on videotape...

but what do I know...

:)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

I disagree. At the very least, Once More, With Feeling should be anamorphic. However, I don't believe that Fox will remaster anything. I'm almost positive that these will be the same 39 discs ported over. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, however.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
No, I'm not nuts. I've seen Joss re-tread over, and over, and over the same old stuff in video interviews. The information he provided at first was interesting, but not after the 20th time. When he's talking in a commentary, and he is reminded of certain things, then it's much more interesting because we find out things we wouldn't already know. Video interviews tend to be more general, though. I'm just not interested in that.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

Oh, OK. I'll not disagree with that. Thanks for clarifying. Joss does commentary as well as or better than anyone, I believe. But for a retrospective documentary, which I assume this new bonus will be, we've pretty much heard all that can be said, no doubt. But I don't think you can slam Joss for that. It's just the nature of the beast.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Looks like Fox is starting to run out of things to release so they are starting to rerelease and repackage stuff.
I think the bonus disc should be offered to everyone. Really crappy.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I personally think this is a great idea. With or without the extra disc. I only have 2 seasons of it right now and wanted to get the rest, which would have costed me way more.

I know I've seen that they're doing the same with Sex in the City for much more. I like the low cost and the ability to get it in one nice and clean boxset. However, if they release it in those stupid fold outs I'll be a little po'ed. I mean release them all in the thinpak's which are much neater in my opinion.

I think I'll pick this one up so I can have all of the sets. I loved the show and followed it all the way through never missing an episode.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
It must be a typo but....

Amazon.ca has this listed for....

$28!!

** Edit ** They must have noticed their mistake...it's now $149.95. However, I did order it at the $28.87 price, and my account still shows that amount. I wonder if they'll honour it?

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad I missed the $28 deal. That would have been sweet! Either way $150 isn't bad at all. I'll probably still pick it up.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, 200 retail SHOULD go for about 140.00 (30% off) on most sites.

That's 112.00 during deepdiscountdvd.com's sale...

That's 16 per season... WOW. lol

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, in the past they've done one each summer and one each falls (november/december-ish). They have said though that they're doing only 1 a year from now on. So I'm not sure we'll get one this NOV. but it's a shot. Besides, if we did it'd be RIGHT around the time this set would come out. So here's hoping. :) Either way though, I'm still gonna pick it up regardless... it's such a good deal.

TroyMM

Grip
Thanks (didn't think of putting 3w's and a dot in front of amazon.ca)

I mean the actually link to the set.
I did a search for buffy and didn't see it (maybe I need glasses :D )

Troy

CynthiaH

Agent
Here you go Troy: Buffy

It seems that the price has risen quite a bit since the 28 and 145 quoted upthread. This was the only link I could find.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks