What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It is my understanding that S1 and S2 were filmed with more rudimentary equipment for budgetary reasons. This isn't something a remaster can fix. Not that it needs fixing, the low budget, grainy look of early seasons added to the gritty feel IMO.

--
H

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Exactly... remastering seasons 1 & 2 wouldn't help, since the fault is in the poor source material.

I'd give this some thought if the one episode that was actually composed for 16:9, Once More With Feeling, was an anamorphic transfer. Doesn't sound likely, though.

James T

Screenwriter
This is pretty cool. I held back a few times at buying the set and was even tempted when a member here put it up for sale.

I'm already 3/5 of the way done with Angel, so I'll probably just finish that set off and leave it, even if they do the same thing later on

Roger_R

Second Unit
If the set has those things fixed, I'll probably buy it. If not, I'll try to find the R2 version. I've already watched the latter episodes once in widescreen and it didn't really bother me. However, I know the omittance of the "previouslies" will as I don't have time to watch a series completely through in a row and I might go without watching any for over a month...

Roger_R

Second Unit
I've been buying from CD-Wow before, good webstore.

What was I was talking about was buying the whole seven-season boxset in region 2 instead of region 1. I believe it was released last year and is somewhat difficult to find today. Play.com claims it's coming out again on the 31st. of October but I don't know how accurate that is. They've been wrong before...

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

A complete X-Files box set will be released in France in November. The price? €229 (around $270) !!!
Complete Buffy? €129 (around $160) :emoji_thumbsup:

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My wife discovered Buffy earlier this year, and quickly watched the entire series from Netflix. I was already thinking of buying her the boxed sets for Christmas, now this seals the deal.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Are you nuts?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I'm of the opinion (and I know from Usenet discussions that I'm not alone here) that the show lost focus and became a muddled mess once Buffy graduated high school and Joss turned his focus to Angel, so this set holds no interest for me, even with the bonus material. I have the first three seasons and that's good enough.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Get your thread crap straight, the consensus is that the show went south after S5, not S3.

--
H

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I actually quite enjoyed S6. I find the scoobies dealing with adult issues like jobs, bills, screwed up relationships pretty interesting actually. While S6 is far from perfect, I thought that if they were going to keep going after S5, (and if they HAD ended at the end of S5 that would've been the ballsiest move in TV history) they had to do something different. "Life is the big bad" I thought was interesting. I for one LOVED the trio as I think it hit a nerve with alot of "nerds", (And I am a proud card carrying one) Dark Willow rules, the physical confrontation with Buffy was very interesting and inevitable, like Kirk fighting Spock and I'm surprised that it hadn't happened before.
And my favorite ep. of all time is OMWF.
S7 I'll admit is VERY weird. Doesn't feel like Buffy. It's like the jazz version. But it still had some great eps. and I loved the finale.

I only called the guy on a threadcrap because it's clear that he liked only 3 of the seven seasons and to come into a thread about all the seasons, knock more than 1/2 of them just to say that he WON'T be buying the set is a bit silly and a waste of time.

but what do I know... :)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
My wife and I want to pick up the new set, but she is hesitant to get rid of the current sets we have, just in case.

The way I see it is, once it is out and I have it in my hands, there will still be people willing to buy the individual seasons off of ebay. No matter what, it will still be worth the $150 or so we should be able to pick this set up for.

In case you cannot tell, we are fans of all thing Joss.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Funny he mentioned The X-Files, because that was my favorite series and Buffy the # 2 favorite when both were still on the air. I haven't purchased a single episode of either YET because they have always been too expensive -- particularly X-Files. But if a box set comes out here in the States at $270, at $30 a season that would be quite a bargain!

Even more so for Buffy, the Vampire Slayer at $200 retail (probably will be $160 at Best Buy). By the way, every print I've seen of the first 2 seasons of Buffy were in excellent condition, and the film prints look no different to me whether I've seen them when they originally aired on the WB network or a friend's VHS tapes. I could care less that they were shot on 16 mm film. This is a decent budget American TV series produced in a modern era. It requires no remastering! :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if this complete series set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer will have all of the same extras, commentaries, and documentaries that the individual season sets have?

Same question regarding The X-Files (a series which probably had more DVD extras than any show in history -- with Twilight Zone -- the Definitive Edition a close second).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if this set is constructed in any way close to the R2 set, i'm definitely passing on it.
also- they wouldn't have to remaster the whole 40 disc collection, but going back and remastering one or two eps (like OMWF) and the previously before The Gift, that occur on only one or two discs, is really the least Fox should do here.
nobody has been screaming for a book or an extra disc with Joss- this is an example of the priorites being dictated from the top down rather than being solicited from the bottom up.

and if you are planning on selling off your sets, while it would be quick and easy to sell them off as complete, i think you will get a better return if you parcel them off one at a time.
there are more people i'd be willing to bet, that would be looking to fill a hole in their collection, vs people looking to drop big bucks all at once on the entire run of the show.
just a suggestion.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Once again...nothing needs to be remastered here.

Just give me all of the extras and if possible, thin plastic disc cases instead of the foldout boxes and I'm buying it first chance I get! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks