What's new

Buffy Season 3 problems ? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm a member of the scratched disc club as well. Season 3 goes back to Amazon for a replacement. Has it ever been said why R1 doesn't use the R2 packaging? Is it cost?
Yes, it's cost, given the low low price of these seasons every dollar cut counts

Why not just exchange it at a local store? Most don't mind if you're exchanging a defective

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator
I bought one at lunch today, and while sitting around, I opened it and had a floater disc 2, scratched, since the spindle fell apart. When I took it back to Best Buy, the Customer Service employee and I went through 10 copies before one came up that did not have a scratched Disc 2. An incredible pain, but I cannot complain about their service.

Blu

Screenwriter
I bought mine at WalMart today at lunch. Same thing, unwrapped it and disc 1 was loose and scratched.
I took it back tonight after seeing if it would lock up. They were sold out! I had no idea it would have sold out!

So now I have to come back when they get more, they said it would be pretty quickly if not tomorrow.
sigh.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Actually, there's some speculation that certain scenes of Buffy season 3 were filmed widescreen to be used as "previously's, and flashbacks and such"
But I assume that's just certain scenes.
I usually watch the opening credits on all shows.
Gilmore Girls
Smallville
Angel
Buffy
Alias (great sound if you ask me. :) I have it downloaded...)
Charmed
Firefly
Malcolm in the Middle (the older ones at least)

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
That's odd. A guy at our local Best Buy said that the boxed set was bad and was sent back to the distributor. He told my wife he sent someone over to the Wal-Mart, but all the sets there were defective, too. Anyone else hear this? Is this just the theme song being incorrect on two episodes and the flagged thing (which I still don't understand fully)?

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I got my set from DVD Empire and disc one was loose also and all scratched up. I called today and they said no problem they will issue a call tag and have it picked up and repalce it for me. Hopefully the replacement won't be the same way.
Later
Jim

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
My disc two was a floater. Has some nasty looking marks on it. I'm watching disc two now and waiting to see what happens.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else hear this? Is this just the theme song being incorrect on two episodes and the flagged thing (which I still don't understand fully)?
Many DVD authoring houses make all live-action material progressive in order to ease compresion. If that is indeed the case with Buffy, then it is correctly flagged.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
My disk 1 was a floater with many scuff marks around the center hole. I guess I am uncertain how bad a mar has to be before it interferes with playback. It seemed to play through the first two episodes OK, though. Am I in error thinking that since the disks play from the inside out that the first episodes would be be most likely to be affected?

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Dome,
The Se7en (Platinum Series) you have is pretty much a Digipack. Except for TV shows, like Buffy, you unfold it a few more times to reveal more disks, so TV show Digipacks are thicker then digipacks for films.
Come to think of it, I also had trouble with my Fight Club disks falling out of their hubs - another Fox release - but I dont remember my disks falling out of other studio's releases - like Se7en, FOTR: EE, South Park S1, or the God Father trilogy....
Regardless, Digipacks are the enemy :angry: :D
JQ

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I've only watched "Anne" so far, but I saw very little combing compared to the previous two releases. It's great to see these episodes look so good (and without PAL speed-up ;) ).
-Dave
BTW: Pick up CD Playright Trio and you can fix almost any disc that is a floater...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I haven't received my (mail-ordered) season 3 yet, but seasons 1 and two both had scratched disks when I bought them.

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
I bought my copy from Wal-Mart and the digipak was put together wrong and was all bent up. Two of the disks were floaters and scratched. The outside of the package looked to be in mint condition and it wasn't until I got home that I saw the horror. I will return it as soon as possible.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah? Try this one.

I buy the pack at Best Buy. Check the box in my car, Disc 2 (Xander) pops out. I look at it. Scratched is a nice way of putting it. This one had a GASH. Like circular scratch rings, deep around the hole.

So I return it right there. I get sent to grab another pack. The customer service lady opens it, and Disc 1 (Willow) pops out. Major scuffing, but nothing as vile as the last time. So she tells me to grab two more and bring them up. I do so and she opens the first one up, Disc 3 (Buffy) falls out. She opens the fourth, another Disc 2 (Xander) and Disc 1 (Willow) fall out together. Again, in all cases, scuffed, but nothing like that originally disc.

So finally the lady snaps, utters an obscenity that would probably get her fired and me kicked off the board if I dared to repeat it, grabbed my original box and replaced the Disc 2 with a good one from another of the box sets and sent me on my way.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
i've just about finished watching my scratched second disc and there's yet to be any problems. Hopefully the scratch is just cosmetic.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Umm, i'm confused now, are you guys saying that season 4 on up of Buffy were composed for 16x9!? If that's the case, color me pissed, because that would then mean every episode of Buffy from season 4 on up were presented wrong here in the states! :frowning:
With the exception of 'Once More with Feeling', I have yet to lay eyes on an episode of Buffy presented here in any ratio other than 4x3.
So to simplify my question, which is the correct OAR of these episodes: 4x3 (which is what we saw here in the US) or 16x9? Which did Joss intend and compose for?
If the answer is the latter, than that's truly sad news indeed as it brings to light one problem, while simultaniously creates a second one...it's a problem that we saw them in the wrong AR here when they aired, and is a pontential problem because we may not get them in 16x9 on dvd here in R1.
Which ever AR these episodes were composed and intended for, I just hope we get them that way on our R1 dvd's is all i'm saying.
I will NOT support MARRED versions of ANY media be it theatrical films or tv programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks