What's new

Bose enters auto suspension technology market (1 Viewer)

Michael X

Stunt Coordinator
A suspension system that costs more and has less range of travel, although it gives more space in the chassis...great.

I doubt this has a chance if they stick with the audio name, Boge is established enough in the suspension market any brand name sounding remotely similar might be viewed as a knockoff.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Hey, the Audiolab brand is coming back as the company changed hands to the Hong Kong owners who currently own both Quad and Wharfedale.

BTW, who's this J.D. Power person? Have we seen him/her in public?

John Watson

Screenwriter
Just another case where "Brand" recognition translates into consumer interest (or acceptance) for no other reason than Brand Recognition.

Most products are cheaply made crap, but if the conglomerate that slaps its name on it is still well known, it can be sold to suckers quite easily.

I have two different bookcase audio systems from JVC. Both just failed at almost the same time, after only 3 years of use.

Another brand name for me to avoid.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor

BUY A TAG:D

When I worked for TAG I would tell people who I worked for and what the Company did. 65% of the time people would look at me and say " IS THAT LIKE BOSE":angry:

Bose making a foray into th AUTO WORLD you have to be kidding me. But the sad thing is that people will buy into the fact that it has those four little letters on it.

:thumbsdown:

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, I will be the first to bash bose audio products, they do stink. In regards to the automotive suspension system. I have seen it in action, it is the most advanced systems I have ever seen. This is a system that will literally change the industry in a good way. The suspension system will not be in your everyday cars, so don't expect to see it even on supposed 'high end consumer cars'. I would be more than happy to answer any questions I can, so if you would like to have a serious conversation without resulting to bashing, please feel free to respond. :)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I’m in.
Currently highly interested in general topics of suspension, and transmissions Vs gear ratio, power and torque at this time due to ongoing problems (3rd transmission failure last week – despite assurance by custom shop to be indestructible) on a car my son is running at a drag strip.

1: What is innovative and different in this setup
2: What makes this “change in the industry so expensive that we should not: “see it even on supposed 'high end consumer cars.” Does this mean BOSE’s projected core market is targeted to super luxury range? Maybach 57's, 67's, Rolls-Royce Phantom, Aston Martin DB9?
Or (stunning thought- as in – I’ve been tasered) not on “consumer cars” at all and they are entering the racing circuit?

I am seriously intrigued, I remember having to convince my husband when explaining DLP available applied technology that Samsung was no longer a brand you tended to see mainly in a grocery store glass case.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
I will try to answer your questions in order :)

1. The suspension system is in a totally different direction than conventional systems, it is obviously a suspension system, but the method in which it produces a 'smooth' ride is different than current ideaology.
-I'm sorry I really can't say any more :frowning: (It is really no joke though, I have seen the system working and it is amazing.)

2. As far as I know, not the racing circuit, but think cars in the 'I will never be able to afford one in my entire life range' Not to say it may not trickle down, but it was discussed 'not on standard consumer cars'.

-Now, in no way am I a car expert, my driving record speaks for itself. :) I can't dive into deep technical auto talk, not my forte. So I will do my best to answer any other questions I able to.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Fairly pricey to implement in a larger power to weight ratio and since you "really can't say more" I will just have to render a guess as to the direction Bose might be headed. Hmmmm, I [think] I heard ;) BOSE was talking to Silicon Sensing Systems about beefed up BSA gyros and the Coriolis effect to measure rotation, gyros installed in an angled configuration for optimum multidirectional monitoring. Bet this system uses lots of onboard microprocessors connected optically to monitor quad electrolyte fluid-filled tilt sensors. I also heard they were placing orders at Pacific Scientific motors for brushless servos and NdFeB magnets. Having Axicon design a slightly larger gear drive using a several-stage reduction system with helical profiles for longer-life gear wear and implementing noninteger GR’s. (and of course, the rotation of the gear box produces sound at exactly 2 musical octaves apart). Screening several new Delphi Electronic board designs with Texas Instruments digital signal processors onbaord capable of 100 calculations per second to monitor delivering power from the batteries to the motors with incremental adjustment capability up to 1000 times per second. And testing (at Sebring) runflat Michelin tires under all.

I can trickle it down quicker by strapping 4 of these to my independently directional all-wheel four-wheel drive vehicle.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...25651?v=glance
:D

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
funny...

well I'm not here to try to convince you, I am simply stating not to disocunt the work that they have done. You would be surprised what Bose does other than consumer/pro audio. Just because their audio side of their business is non-highend equipment, doesn't mean other aspects of their business are worthless. I am an audiophile, I do own some nice equipment, I do not own Bose equipment and I can tell you the suspension system is something that is worth every penny.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

have you gone for a ride in a car with the new bose system? how is it smoother that the original suspensions on these high end cars? just wondering, that's all

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
We were not given the opportunity to physically ride in the unit. Because the actual cost of using ultra high end cars for prototypes isn't cost effective. The test was done on a more conservatively priced vehicle. The system had the ability to be turned off and on. While turned off it runs just like a standard shock system. (which is very cool) So with the system on you see the vehicle take bumps with ease, and no movement of the passengers inside.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
JoanPablo, I should have surrounded last post with p-Rant (prank-playful Rant) :b
well I'm not here to try to convince you you don’t have to. I promise I was not trying to mock you, - simply playing (tongue in cheek) with ideas about what Bose might design in a completely different direction. And while the Segway parts list WAS a joke. The technology is not. Smart Systems, which integrate sensing, actuation, logic and control in an adaptive manner is a busy arena including the automotive industry.
Its very fascinating stuff. Have you heard of actively damped K2-Four skis? Sensor/actuator units are embedded in the composite ski structure to dampen vibration and improve edge-to-snow contact.

I believe there have been some recent (aren’t there always) advances in predictive, adaptive, and repetitive-system -response, and assume that Bose might be working on their version of a ‘Smart’ setup. The price mention makes me think that any system which is integrated by Bose for suspension treatments is related to this current field where futher advances in materials (cost) are deemed required to implement engineering in an affordable effective manner.
(Currently usually launched - via extreme high end commercial or military applications only). You’ve already seen movements for years from passive mechanical to active suspension control by the likes of Mercedes with subsequent trickle down effects.

Personally I don’t find it such a streeeetch to think of Bose deviating into this area, since much of the Smart technology revolves around some of the same type math involved in acoustics. Damping (impedance) type characteristics and many other ‘musical’ sounding terms are implemented already in shock absorption systems etc. “Mechanical vibration control also can have a significant impact on acoustical vibrations, i.e., noise. Active structural/acoustical control is a significant technical approach to the quieting of jet engines, aircraft and automobile cabins, and all types of large, noisy machinery”* In the Defense Dept. the applications being researched are items like“adaptive control surfaces on aircraft, rotor blades and even signature suppression of submarine hulls.”*
My understanding is that in the earliest semiactive, adaptive and active systems only the equivelent of 2 degrees of freedom, x axis and yaw, were used. Newer systems using MEMS technology and integrated gyroscopes make a future for 6 degree fully integrated inertia measurement units possible. Expensive but coming. I can only guess that BOSE is indeed using something like the research area which brought the Segway gyroscopic concept.

If Bose desired to overcome severe skepticism regarding their production of (or royalties for patented concepts) for a cutting-edge suspension system for automotive applications. I can’t think of a better place for them to fill up the seats of a concept car, than any group pulled from any of the self-named Audiophile forums.
Now that (for BOSE) would be; one tough audience.

*American Ceramic Society Bulletin, Vol. 75, No. 4, April 1996

I prefer to let time tell. Who can do/build/be what.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
no problem whatsoever. Bose does research in areas that peolpe wouldn't even think of. The audio side of Bose is just one facet.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

not to be a jerk, but big deal. i have seen enough commericals for junk that is nothing like the actual results from the product. how is this different?

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
JoanPablo_T - are you under a Non-Disclosure Agreement with BOSE ? While your counter-points to the Bose bashing are intriguing, they are so vague they do not endear your position. Surprised you can't even mention the type of vehicle you were in... super-secret military Humvee ????

Throw me a frickin' bone... need the 4-1-1....

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
And we/I hear it every year. So and so is going to shake the automotive industry. It will be interesting if Bose makes public by this year's SEMA show in november. Mind you, there have been some great suspension/steering product companies, over the years only to go belly-up with the inability to turn a profit. It's easy to say Bose won't meet with these problems but I think this depends on who their target is. If they are going toward the aftermarket, they have quite the challenge ahead. You think audio hobbyists are cynical? The competition out there is brutal.
If their target is major automotive companies, color me intrigued. Getting the major players to use your audio systems exclusively is one thing. A complete suspension/steering system(if I'm intepreting the thread correctly), is another. Like Kirk asked, what vehicle are they testing this on? Is this some universal system that is applicable to all vehicles? (yes, I'm joking)

Now, if this is just an aspect of a complete system, disregard my post.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
The system is designed to go into brand new cars only, I seriously doubt any aftermarket ability. The reason the system was designed to be shut on/off was for testing purposes. And yes, I am under a non-disclosure, so I apologise.

As to the infomercial aspect, when the system was first tested the engineers went to multiple areas in order to find bumps and potholes. While driving over a rather large one, everyone in the car said.."you missed it". They had actually had run right over the obstacle without feeling a thing. (and I am talking a large pothole) So I am not here to say this is the most important thing known to man, all I am saying is this system is the real-macoy.(sp) Sure , Bose will hype it up, but any company would.

As to the vehicle used, it was a common luxary car.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
So Joan, are you at least able to confirm this is targeting only one particular make? Or has that been determined?

I mean if more than one manufacturer bites, can you spell cash cow?

It can't be Toyota/Lexus, I think their ties with Tenneco are pretty solid. The Kinetic® system on the new GX470 is nothing short of amazing.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
Zen,

last i knew it is being aimed toward multiple manufacturers. But in the catagory of high end cars. -and not your typical high end car.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks