What's new

Black Hawk Down SE Announced June 3rd (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Are the specs of the R1 the same as the other 3 disc set? On the note of DTS. If people such as myself feel it can sound better than we have every right to demand it. Just like when people demand it be anamorphic, they want a better product. This of course, is just my opinion.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
From a source I know, a Superbit is coming. He's been right about every other Superbit so far. However, this has not been officially confirmed, but it makes total sense for them to do it. I will be waiting. I rather have the version with the slight improvement in video quality. As far as DTS vs. DD, it all depends. Maybe the DTS track will sound better or worse or just different (look at Lord of the Rings Extended - both tracks definitely sound differently).

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
DTS would certainly have been nice, but I'd much rather have the extras. Black Hawk Down has the best battle scenes put on film and I would like to see how they were done.

I don't think I have ever been this excited for a DVD release before. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Damnit, no DTS, no purchase for me, I have been waiting all this time to finally pick up BHD becasue the SE was rumoured to have a DTS track, guess I have to keep waiting, sure hope the Superbit comes out soon. I am really dying to see this movie, sigh....

Declan

Second Unit
DVDfile has the specs and date for BHD 3 Disc up.

Ridley's war - 12:00am

After over a year-long wait, Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment has finally announced a June 3rd arrival for a new three-disc special edition of Ridley Scott's acclaimed war epic Black Hawk Down. This one comes fully loaded with a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 surround tracks (no DTS option is provided), plus tons of extras. Disc one sports three audio Mark Bowden and screenwriter Ken Nolan, and a third track with various U.S. Special Forces veterans. Disc two includes the documentary "The Essence of Combat: Making Black Hawk Down in six parts ("Getting It Right," "Crash Course," "Battlefield: Morocco," "Hymn to the Fallen," "Digital Warriors" and "After Action Report"), 8 Deleted and Alternate Scenes with optional commentary, a production design archive, storyboards with commentary, "Ridleygrams" also with commentary, an Opening Title exploration, more still galleries, and Bruckheimer’s own Black Hawk Down Photo Album. Disc three throws in even more: "The History Channel Presents: The True Story of Black Hawk Down" and "PBS Presents: Frontline: Ambush in Mogadishu" TV specials, an Interactive Mission Map/Timeline, "Target Building Insertion" multi-angle sequence with optional commentary, BAFTA Q&A sessions with Scott, Bruckheimer and actors Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor, Jason Isaac, Mark Bowden and Tom Matthews, a Editor's Guild tribute to Pietro Scalia, an American Cinematheque Q&A with Bruckheimer and Scott, the “Gortoz A Ran - J’Attends” music video, a theatrical poster gallery, and theatrical trailers. Yikes! Retail for this puppy retails for $39.95.

might be gettin.......... that i'll be a triple dip for me cause i've the bare bones r1 and the excellent 2 disc r2.
wonder because i'll be gettin this a third time will they throw in a free black hawk helicopter.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I held off on the original release because of the talk about the special edition. For a little while, I was beginning to think that I held off for a pipedream. Glad that my patience paid off this time. Now if only we'd get confirmation on Resident Evil, Event Horizon, etc...:)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The DD track is rather FLAT, and certainly not as impressive as it was theatrically.

I'd like a DTS version, thank you.

Someone tell me this is a better DD track.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'll definitely pick this one up as I've sold my bare bones copy in anticipation. The PBS & CNN doc are great and after reading the book it'll be nice to finally have a definitive history of this event.

RE: the "Getting It Right" featurette; I wonder how they'll explain scenes showing a belt-fed M60 firing blank rounds, and Sgt. Gibson wearing Oakly (2000) sunglasses...

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Here is a quote about the DD track on the original DVD from DVDFILE.com:

I don't know if this will be a new mix or not, but it is hard to complain about the currently available DD mix.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ok,

some of us differ.
Very easy to complain about the current mix, when we've heard better (versions of it).

:)

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
This is the rare instance in which the extras are very important to me, so I will definitely pick up the three disk set over the superbit release.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yeah, I say to hell with DTS and Superbit. Its ok if a DVD has DTS, but if it doesnt I don't care either way. We still get the movie on DVD.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The DD track is rather FLAT, and certainly not as impressive as it was theatrically.
How can you make a statement like this? Even if it is your opinion, I still have to question it as you have presented no data on the theatrical DD vs the DVD DD, and are making big assumptions. A theatrical listening experience is determined by the speakers, your seating location, the size of the theater, and even the number of people attending your particular showing (not to mention a human's memory when it comes to audio is not very accurate). Whats to say the DTS version isn't flat to you as well in the home compared to your theatrical experience (might very well be to your ears if the same master is used)? Lets compare apples to apples (i.e DD vs. DTS in the home) not apples to oranges (Home vs. Theater).

That being said, if the price is right on this disc (~$25) come release date, I will pick it up. It looks to be a very nice package.

J

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I will say that the current release's dd track is very impressive, one of the best. But, with a 3 disk set, there was no reason what-so-ever to leave out dts. It might have been a better track, or not, but for the size of the package, it should have been included.

Peace Out~:D

RickardL

Supporting Actor
If you just want the best picture and sound, is it to
wait for any Superbit release?
Has there been any Superbit release of a Ridley Scott film before??
For some reason, the Swedish (PAL) R2 standard edition got a DTS (768Kbit) and
a DD5.1 track and that might satisfy those with universal
players since it *almost* is a Superbit with just a featurette
on it.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Their are no Superbits of Ridley Scott's films becuase he has never made one for Columbia. Black Hawk Down is the only one. Most of his other films have been for Universal, MGM, FOX, Disney (being Touchstone) or Warner Bros. And on the comment of this not having a DTS track, even though it is a large 3-Disc release, is nothing but bull, and only further acknowledges who is really ungrateful and spoiled when it comes to DVD releases. The movie is nearly 2 1/2 hours long. To fit a DD 5.1 track, subtitles, 3 commentaries, plus menus and other features would, and THEN add a DTS track would result in the picture quality suffering. Their is no doubt about it. Many other releases have suffered from this and I would not like to see BHD become a victim. Their is no reason that, jsut becuase it is a 3-Dsic set, that their needs to be a DTS track. DTS is not a requirement for every single special edition or multi disc set that comes out. I can guarantee that your average consumer who is not aware of forums such as these will really care if a DTS track is absent from the release. Its is not the end of the world if their is no DTS. We have lived without it before and I'm sure life will go on. If people decide not to buy iot based on the DTS track not being included, so be it. I never knew the quality of the movie itself was ever based on it needing a DTS track. I think people care too much about things like a DTS track and not even about the movie itself. People who buy it based on the DTS alone are paying no respect to the filmmakers who are to thank for even makign the movie at all.

What would be gained by having a DTS on this release anyways? As with many other Superbits, the differences are very little in terms of the audio qulaity. Only on a few are their any differences. Since this release featured a refernce quality DD 5.1 track, what would be improved by havinga DTS track. The move would still be the same, but maybe their would be a little bit more bass, or it might be louder. But who cares? I don't think they will change the audio tracks on the disc over the fact that a few ungrateful people care more for DTS than the movie. I'm sure the filmmakers will nto lose sleep over it.

The 3-Disc set is a much better buy in the long run. You get the film, 3 commentaries, a DD 5.1 track, and two full other discs with documentaries, maing of features, and countless other extras. The Superbit release? NO EXTRAS, NO MENUS, AND NO FEATURES AT ALL. Just the inclusion of a DTS track and perhaps mild improvements in the picture quality. But with a movie that was filmed this way, with washed out colors and contrast, most people would not notice the difference.(but thats a separate issue about the Superbits quality) Most of the buying public are unaware of Superbits, since most would not benfit from it unless they have the moeny for an expensive TV or HT that would be able to show the qualiy of a Superbit. It is not worth the money to buy just a movie only disc when a much better release in terms of overall quality of the supplemental material is available.

I think we should end this discussion about the lack of DTS on this release. It's isn't going to get put on their, and all of this whinning about it not being theri only lets us know who is really selfish and ungrateful. They spent so much time and effort putting it together, that when it finally comes out, all some people have to do is complain about it for not having this one little thing. Most of the people who waited this long waited for the 3-Disc set because it was going to feature a great deal of supplemental material. If you wanted DTS, then you probably only care for DTS and should wait for the Superbit release. Then you might be happy, unless it turns out the Superbit has little improvement in quality over the previous releases audio/video quality.

Why do we really need DTS on this movie? It is a movie that has a great sound mix and design, but do we REALLY need it? Is the quality of the movie going to change if their is no DTS track? If we have resorted to not getting a movie because it doesn't have a DTS track, that says you really have no respect for the people who take the time to out together a release like this.

We can all argue about this, or just enjoy the movie for what it is, if people actually do that anymore sicne most only care for a DTS track in their movies. I would like people to tell me what would really be the benefits of having DTS on this move. Can they say the quality of the moie itself will be improved by the inclusion of DTS? Is it worth so much bickering and trouble to argue about? I guess you just can't make some people happy.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Like I said, "If you just want the best picture and sound"...
The 3 Disc package is probably the best there ever will be
when it comes to audio commentaries and extras galore
but that wasn't my point challenge that.
I only questioned for the best picture and sound, that's
all. And I don't automatically rate DTS higher than DD
for that matter either.
Sorry if I stirred up emotions, that was not intentional
in any way.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It is not worth the money to buy just a movie only disc when a much better release in terms of overall quality of the supplemental material is available.
That is YOUR opinion on the matter. Keep in mind the price will surely be much higher on the 3-disc set than the eventual Superbit.

Josh,

Some of use (albeit few), do not care about commentaries (have only listed to two on my 140 dvd collection), menus (I HATE motion menus), and documentaries & features (I only watch them on 1/4 of my movies - although I would be more interested with this film). However, I refuse to own two versions of ANY film. So, a slight improvement in picture and possibly audio is what matters to me most. So, I will wait for the Superbit and then read the reviews of the reviewers whom I trust. Surely, there will be comparisons done. If the few reviewers that I read say there is NO difference in quality, I will buy the 3-disc set. If studios would just release all versions at once, this wouldn't be much of an issue and people would know what to buy right now. But, it's the game they created and I am only playing it and not getting burned having to buy a re-release again. Furthermore, there is a better sound improvement with DTS in some cases, particularly if a different mix is used. I mean who knows what they have in store with BHD. Even Lord of the Rings Extended version, there was a difference between DD and DTS. (Not sure if these were two different mixes.) Even the lastest version of X-Men has the DTS track producing better results - this according to everything I have read. WHAT IF Superbit BHD sounds better in DTS? We will have to wait and see....or listen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks