What's new

Black Hawk Down SE Announced June 3rd (1 Viewer)

Andy Kramer

Agent
Hi
I had heard back when the bare bones copy of black hawk down came out, that there would be a follow up SE DVD (chances are 2 discs with more sound options). Personally i love DVD and i always pick up the SE Version of movies i already own. And i would just love to see this wonderful sounding movie get the love of DTS. But the movie itself deserves a 2-disc treatment. Plus who is to argue some deleted scenes?????!!! Anyone know anything if it is coming out or if it got canned like my all time fav did the other day? :frowning: .

Thanks
Andy

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The SE is rumored to be 3 discs, with deleted scenes, without DTS, and released sometime in early summer (maybe June). Nothing official though.

This should be in software by the way.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, i had no inclination to buying BHD when it came out because they said that there would be a SE coming out...since then i haven't hear anything about it, i would like to know of a link to somewhere that says something of it.
this thread in software yet?should

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Here are the full specs of a 3-Disc SE I'll be buying if by the time it's released in Australia, no date is set for a R1 version and if it's anything less:

Disc 1:
Original Widescreen presentation 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen
Dolby Digital 5.1
Audio commentary by director Ridley Scott and producer Jerry Bruckheimer
Audio commentary by author Mark Bowden and screenwriter Ken Nolan
Audio commentary by 1993 U.S. Special Forces team veterans
Talent profiles
Picture disc

Disc 2:
8 never-before-seen deleted scenes with optional commentary by director Ridley Scott including an alternative ending
‘Image & Design’ - 7 featurettes and features that explore the creation of the movie including ‘Jerry Bruckheimer’s on-set photography’, Ridleygrams’, storyboard to final film comparisons and extensive photo galleries
Designing Mogadishu
Production design Archive
Storyboards
Ridleygrams
Jerry Bruckheimer's BHD Photo Album
Photo Galleries
Title Design Explorations
‘The Essence Of Combat’ – 6 behind-the-scenes features including actor’s bootcamp and an in-depth look at the film’s visual effects and music
Getting it right: Stories and Characters.
Crash Course: Military Orientation
Battlefield: Morocco on location.
Hymn to the fallen: Film Score
Digital Warriors: Visual effects
After action report final thoughts

Disc 3:
‘Ambush In Mogadishu’ – a 60 minute documentary on the making of the movie with cast and crew interviews
‘The True Story Of Black Hawk Down’ – a 92 minute History Channel documentary on the events that inspired the movie
BAFTA Q&A session with Ridley Scott, Jerry Bruckheimer and the cast
Editor’s Guild Q&A session with editor Pietro Scalia
American Cinematheque Q&A session with Ridley Scott and Jerry Bruckheimer
‘Target Building Insertion’ – multi-angle scene deconstruction with optional commentary
Gortoz A Ran – J’Attends music video performed by Lisa Gerrard and Denez Prigent
Poster explorations photo gallery
Movie soundtrack TV commercial
Original movie trailer
Bonus movie trailers

:emoji_thumbsup:

david stark

Second Unit
the european r2 version of this dvd is a 2 disc set. Not sure on the extras on the disc, but it is dolby digital 5.1 (there is no DTS version available that I know of). I think i will be purchasing it myself now that the price has dropped down to £10.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This info came off 'themanroom.com'.

March 10, 2003
** Updated 3:45pm EST **
The rumors have panned out to be true. On June 3, Columbia TriStar will roll out a monstrous 3 disc Black Hawk Down (Deluxe Edition) set. What on earth fills up 3 discs, you say? Settle in for this list. DISC 1: Widescreen Presentation, Commentary: Jerry Bruckheimer (Producer) & Ridley Scott (Director), Commentary: Mark Bowden (Author) & Ken Nolan (Screenwriter) Commentary: U.S. Special Forces Veterans (‘93), Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video, Audio: English, French, & Spanish 5.1 (Dolby Digital), Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Thai, Filmographies, Animated Menus, Scene Selections, ROM content. DISC 2: The Essense of Combat: Making Black Hawk Down, 1. Getting It Right 2. Crash Course 3. Battlefield: Morocco 4. Hymn to the Fallen 5. Digital Warriors 6. After Action Report, 8 Deleted & Alternate Scenes with Optional Commentary, Production Design Archive, Storyboards with Optional Commentary, Ridleygrams with Optional Commentary, Jerry Bruckheimer’s Black Hawk Down Photo Album, Opening Title Explorations, Photo Galleries. Disc 3: The History Channel Presents: The True Story of Black Hawk Down, PBS Presents: Frontline: Ambush in Mogadishu, Interactive Mission Map/Timeline, Target Building Insertion - Multi-Angle Sequence with Optional Commentary, Question & Answer Forums, BAFTA - Ridley Scott, Jerry Bruckheimer, Josh Hartnett, Ewen McGregor, Jason Isaaca, Mark Bowden & Tom Matthews, Motion Pictures Editor’s Guild - Pietro Scalia, American Cinematheque - Jerry Bruckheimer & Ridley Scott, “Gortoz A Ran - J’Attends” Music Video performed by Denez Prigent & Lisa Gerrard, Theatrical Poster Explorations, Theatrical Trailers.
We don't have the specs for the European three disc set, but noticably absent here is a DTS track. Extra features are great and all, but DTS will single-handedly sell more copies of this set!
No dts?

Peace Out~:D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Continuing from the closed thread...

Ron-P, I understand your position, but I can tell you that the extra are top-notch quality (I own the R2 set).
I bet this 3-DVD set will be one of the finalists for best DVD all-around presentation (picture, sound and extras) comes the end of the year...
Vincent, I am sure they are good extras, but I rarely, very, very rarely watch extras. I never watch making of stuff nor do I watch commentaries. So there is nothing to justify a re-purchase. The dts track was the only reason I would have bought the SE.

Peace Out~:D

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Forget the DTS track. I think we can all live with the DD track, which was phenomenal in itself. If you want the DTS track, wait for the Superbit if it is really that important(it really isn't). The 3 commentaries alone, along with the movie being almost 2 1/2 hours would be pushing it if their were a DTS track (case in point Brotherhood of the Wolf Canadian 3-Disc). I was very pleased with the quality of the last release in terms of the audio/video, so this will be no different. I am just glad that they took the time to really think through what to put on the disc in terms of extra features, and it looks like this will be a great disc. If people want the DTS track and if it is that impotant to them, they can wait for the Superbit release later this year so they can have it. I for one can live without it. I hope many feel the same and will get this disc for the quality of the extras and not a simple audio track.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hope it comes with a jumbo bottle of Tylenol. :D

I just got the bare bones version from Columbia House. Based on those specs, I'll stick with that.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Forget the DTS track. I think we can all live with the DD track, which was phenomenal in itself. If you want the DTS track, wait for the Superbit if it is really that important(it really isn't). The 3 commentaries alone, along with the movie being almost 2 1/2 hours would be pushing it if their were a DTS track (case in point Brotherhood of the Wolf Canadian 3-Disc). I was very pleased with the quality of the last release in terms of the audio/video, so this will be no different. I am just glad that they took the time to really think through what to put on the disc in terms of extra features, and it looks like this will be a great disc. If people want the DTS track and if it is that impotant to them, they can wait for the Superbit release later this year so they can have it. I for one can live without it. I hope many feel the same and will get this disc for the quality of the extras and not a simple audio track. DTS isn't everything.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Is the Superbit release fact or just rumor?
I believe it's only a rumor. Considering the potential that Black Hawk Down has in the audio department, I wouldn't be surprised if a Superbit is announced before the end of the year.

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
Why bother with the Superbit version when the Deluxe version has DTS.

Oh, wait, it DOESN'T have DTS, which means eventually there will be a THIRD version of Black Hawk Down. Whatever...

I mean for forty bucks, just release this movie for the last time already, and include DTS. That's the absolute ONLY feature the supposed "deluxe version" doesn't have. It's not a coincidence.

I won't buy it. I'm not gonna spend thirty or so dollars on this release and not be completely happy with it. This movie, especially this movie, could benefit from a DTS track. :angry:

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the region 2 Japanese version with the DTS track. It's great but I'll be picking up the 3-disc SE for the extras.
When it's time to watch the movie, it'll be DTS.
When it's time to watch the extras, it'll be the R1.
Gotta love multi-region ability.

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
I agree.

The History Channel and Frontline shows are excellent.

Not to mention a commenatary by some of the men who took part in the action.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Is anyone really surprised by the lack of DTS? This is Sony we're talking about. They triple dip more titles than most other studios double dip. Obviously they know people want the best video and audio presentation as well as a crapload of extras, so what better way to milk this film than to have a barebones release followed by a feature-loaded 3-disc SE followed by the inevitable Superbit with a much sought after DTS track?

Now all that being said, I don't necessarily have a problem with studios offering multiple releases of the same title. What I do have a problem with is a company like Sony continuously giving us half-assed DVDs with average transfers and omitting extras or DTS tracks simply so they can re-release an "enhanced" version 6 months to a year later.

Witness the 2 DVD releases of New Line's LOTR:FOTR or Dreamworks' Almost Famous for examples of how to please both the consumers who want only the movie and the diehard fans who demand extended cuts and loads of supplements. At the other end of the spectrum, there's Sony who for whatever reason couldn't make xXx a 2-disc set with a DTS track back in January which would've eliminated the need for a Superbit re-release. Sorry for the rant, but this trend has gotten out of hand.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Not having DTS in this set does not change the quality of the movie at all. Everyones ears are different, and when I listen to it, it still sounds great. If people decide not to buy it based on the lack of DTS, you are missing the whole point of the movie. I'm sure when they were making the DVD they considered putting DTS in their, but may have decided against it, and will probably release a Superbit later for those who care for it. The movie is still good, and not buying it based on DTS is pretty selfish, and not takihg into appreciation the quality of the disc produced by the filmmakers and DVD producers. They were concerned about making the movie and providing quality supplements afterwards for the DVD that offer insight into the film. They wouldn't have waited this long to release and taken this time to produce it it if it wasn't important to them. We should be thankful Ridley Scott and Jerry Bruckheimer have taken their time and effort to put together what is usre to be a quality release, even without DTS. I for one am going to pick this up, and appreciate the effort that went into its production.

If this is Sony's way of trying to get more money out of the consumers, then the matter should be taken up with them. Either way, you certainly have your choice i nthe matter. For thsoe who care for supplement,s their is the 3-Disc set. For those who care for absolute quality, their is the Superbit. For those who really need both, save your money and get both. With the Superbit, the quality of the movie itself will not change. It will still be a great movie either way. Since Superbits only attract those who will benefit from the quality of the picture and sound, it is wiser and more important to have a release that offers supplements about the movie and the battle it is based on. That is far more important than a DTS track, since many people who want to buy it for the movie and the extras will certainly not care if the DTS is not included. I think of it interms of who will appreciate it most. Those who will care for the film and the extras included, or those few who will REALY care if the DTS track is not included.

I think people are missign the point and have too many expectations about what a DVD release should be. We should be glad to get as much as we have. The whole point of waiting this long for the 3-Dsic set is so the extensive features could be produced and included in the release, not so we could wait for a simple audio track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks