What's new

Black Hawk Down SE Announced June 3rd (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I agree with the fact that studios release one too many versions of the same movie. It is getting out of hand. But releasing a bare bones version with only slight improvement in picture and sound that only few will notice does not justify the price paid, even though you can shell out a few more dollars and get a version with perhaps similar quality, and several discs of features. Even if you do not watch them, it is still a better buy than a basic release with nothing on it at all. Although some prefer this, I would rather have one that is worth my money in the long run. Its just my opinion. We all have our preferences, this is just mine.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's only a better buy if the added material is of value to the buyer. If the buyer does not care about the extras at all, then saving some money would be worth it to him or her. I wish studios would release bare bones and SE versions, selling the bare bones for $5.00-$7.00 cheaper. I would be all over that. I imagine the Superbit version will be around $20.00 shipped. I suspect the 3-disc will sell in the mid to upper 20's.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Definitely an early contender for DVD of the Year 2003. Thank you Charlie de L. and Ridley Scott.

It will be interesting to see if The Two Towers: EE can top this monstrous and extremely impressive BlackHawk Down Special Edition. Indiana Jones remains the wild card in the 2003 DVD of The Year Sweepstakes. :)

Regards,
Dan

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I have been waiting all this time to finally pick up BHD becasue the SE was rumoured to have a DTS track
Actually, the lack of DTS was revealed in August 2002 by Charlie de Lauzirika, so this announcement should not really have surprised anyone.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
An absolute must have for me. This looks like a dream come true in terms of the extras content. Especially nice are the documentaries and the commentary by the veterans of the conflict.

I see nothing wrong with this set, and I feel the supplemental material, the commentaries in particular, are more than worth it.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I keep seeing a Superbit version of this title mentioned but have seen zero official information hinting that a Superbit version is in the pipeline.

Is this Superbit talk all just hopeful wishing?

J

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Actually, the lack of DTS was revealed in August 2002 by Charlie de Lauzirika, so this announcement should not really have surprised anyone.
Probably because there was no room for a dts track? 3 commentary tracks, a seperate dd2.0 track? And dd5.1

How could they fit a dts track on?

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Ron-P,

You have to pick up the 3-disc set. The History Channel documentary is one of the best docs I have ever seen. I have watched it 3 times on The History Channel, and I can't wait to watch it again when I pick up this new 3-disc set. I rarely watch extras, but I will probably watch every single on on this disc. BTW, I cannot wait to hear the commentary track with the veterans. June cannot get here fast enough.

-Dean-

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The fact that this is such a great film and they way you guys are raving about the extras....I may just buy it.

Peace Out~:D

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I would not doubt that a SuperBit version will be out. This is Sony after all, the KING of triple dipping!

Dan

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm not an extras kind of guy but the extras on this disc seem more than worth the effort to purchase the disc. A Superbit is just wishful thinking as of yet.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member

That is basically what he said. Apparently they considered spreading the film across two discs, but instead decided to leave room for extras. I guess they could have made it a four disc set, but a 140 minute film spread across 2 discs is just plain silly in my opinion.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I think it is ridiculous to not have a DTS track.

There are THREE 5.1 tracks - English, Spanish, and French. The bitrate on those two foreign language tracks is MORE than the bitrate on DTS. I see NO reason why they couldn't have put subtitles on the movie instead and given us DTS.

I'm strongly considering skipping this one. It's ridiculous that Sony would rather satisfy a couple of minorities than give the community what they want. :thumbsdown:

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Howd o you know this is what the community wants? I would think the minority would be those Superbit enthusiastes, or those wanting DTS on every DVD?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I think the inclusion of French and Spanish soundtracks is so that the same version can be released in Canada and Mexico at the same time.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Glad to hear this, I'm definately purchasing this on release. The wealth of extras far outweighs any need for a DTS track (to me). It's very interesting that anyone perusing that list of extras would pass on this release in favor of a barebones/DTS version.

Declan

Second Unit
as Charlie De Luzaria (sp!!) said that all involved wanted a DTS track but the length of the film coupled with the commentaries (which are excellent btw and are the same ones on the current r2) and the amount of moving camera shots would have plauged havoc with the mepg2 coding.

Yes I would have loved a DTS track as I though the DD5.1 was a bit flat flat sounding compared to other war movie soundtracks such as We were soldiers and private Ryan. But from my 2 viewings of it theatrically I thought that it sounded a bit flat.

If you want it with DTS then wait for the Superbit. If you want the best release of it then wait until 3rd of June. Hey i've already got 2 versions...... i'm about to get another in about 10 weeks.

So to every body complaing that there is no DTS it is down to the space on the disc. NO ROOM after 3 commentaries and 2 and 1/2 hours of rapid fire editing and dynamic camera moves.

as the good man Ron-P would say................Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks