What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Black Hawk Down (2001) and The Guns of Navarone (1961) (4k UHD) Now in Dolby Vision (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Almost all 4K displays auto-sense HDR10 and Dolby Vision content automatically, and each has separate settings that have to be adjusted. So, if you've tweaked things on your TV for HDR10 content, those settings do NOT apply to DV content. I think that seeing big differences between the two is attributable to the display not being correctly configured in many instances.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Almost all 4K displays auto-sense HDR10 and Dolby Vision content automatically, and each has separate settings that have to be adjusted. So, if you've tweaked things on your TV for HDR10 content, those settings do NOT apply to DV content. I think that seeing big differences between the two is attributable to the display not being correctly configured in many instances.

I paid a lot of money to have my LG OLED TV professionally calibrated so I'm not going to mess around with ANY settings. Thankfully my TV auto-detects as you say so I don't have to worry about any of this. This DV vs HDR (and now HDR+ OR 10) reminds me of all the annoying format wars, with people from both camps claiming their choice of setting is better. Sony is taking advantage of supporters of each camp by re-releasing the same titles and adding these "upgrades" which aren't upgrades at all IMO. These are just an excuse to milk the cow. Why didn't they release these with DV or HDR the first time?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I paid a lot of money to have my LG OLED TV professionally calibrated so I'm not going to mess around with ANY settings. Thankfully my TV auto-detects as you say so I don't have to worry about any of this.
Then I'm sure your calibrator set up each content type on the display, and you have nothing to worry about, as you say.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Can anyone please confirm that the new Black Hawk Down UHD hasn't got Greek subtitles?
It has only English, French and Spanish?

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
I enabled DV and (in particular) those Hitchcock 4K titles had a very unpleasant look. I disabled the DV, and they looked a lot better. More natural. Less orange/reddish tone and not as rough/harsh overall.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I enabled DV and (in particular) those Hitchcock 4K titles had a very unpleasant look. I disabled the DV, and they looked a lot better. More natural. Less orange/reddish tone and not as rough/harsh overall.
None of the Hitchcock titles have Dolby Vision, so if you're forcing it on them, no wonder you're getting odd results.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Have you adjusted your display's DV settings, or are you using them as they came out of the box?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony - UBP-X800M2
That player requires you to manually turn Dolby Vision on and off. Players from Panasonic and others do not require this and will not enable Dolby Vision if content is not encoded with it. The Sony will playback all Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray content in Dolby Vision whether it is encoded with DV, HDR10, or no HDR. Some discs do not specify if they are encoded with Dolby Vision, unfortunately, but one way you can tell is to enable DV on the player, play your content, and once it starts, hit the DISPLAY button on your remote, and you should see something similar to one of the three photos below.

If you see this, then the content has been encoded with Dolby Vision:
DV.jpg

If you see this, then the content has been encoded with HDR10 only and Dolby Vision should be disabled:
HDR10.jpg

And if you see this, the content has not been encoded with any kind of HDR whatsoever and Dolby Vision should be disabled:
SDR.jpg

Having Dolby Vision enabled when the content has not been encoded with it makes things appear off in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks