What's new

Better Call Saul - Season 4 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
If those New Mexico state bar-folks wanted Jimmy to just talk about Chuck, then the questions should have been:

"Are you familiar with your brother, Chuck McGill?"

"How great was your brother, Chuck McGill?"

"Why was Chuck so awesome?"

"If Chuck McGill were in this room at this very moment, how would you express your gratitude to him?"
Yeah, I wanted Jimmy to attack that guy on the stairs. I REALLY thought he might. I chalk it up to them being the wasp-ey kind of lawyer-types that Chuck was and looked way down on the University of American Samoa. Somehow I sensed them fishing for him to mention Chuck was just a curiosity for them to see if he would say and what he would say if talking about Chuck. I think they made up their minds going in.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since the audience knows the future, they know that the board would have ultimately been doing him a favor. If he didn't get reinstated, he never becomes Saul Goodman, meets Walter White and ends up on the run in Omaha. Selling cell phones and dating Kim seems like a pretty good alternative to all that.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
^^ this is what i find slightly frustrating when watching this show. We have expectations and we keep watching anticipating a result and it doesn't happen. :) To me, Jimmy has to get reinstated so he can practice as Saul. Or perhaps he reapplies at UAS as Saul and sails through the courses, but I would expect that would take quite a long time.

We know Kim is out of the picture eventually so I keep expecting her to get caught pushing a Slippin' Jimmy and getting herself disbarred or something.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I guess Mike's big takeaway here is to never become friendly or form any legitimate human bond with "coworkers." Period. When he asked Werner what was up, he kind of meant it; obviously he wanted to know if his emotional state was too compromised for the job, but he also cared, because he let him speak to his wife at his leisure.

Instead, Werner paradoxically thought he was still suspicious of him, and freaked out even harder. That’s what I'm getting from all of this, at least. We know he didn't learn to play it softer up front with intimidation, being who he is in Breaking Bad.

The thing is, Mike respects Werner while also liking him. Werner knows his shit and doesn't bullshit around, much like Mike. They're both quietly competent and can relate to one another. As such, their friendship absolutely makes sense. Considering that Mike shuts himself off from developing attachments to people outside of his daughter-in-law and granddaughter, his relationship with Werner comes across as being very fulfilling. This betrayal by Werner is going to shut Mike down even further.

Is there anyway Gus kills Werner without having to kill the whole crew? I don't think they've laid the groundwork for Mike to be okay with that kind of massacre, even if he's not the one pulling the trigger. Maybe an "accident" in the superlab-site that killed everyone would give Gus some plausible deniability, but that's a lot of work to ease Mike's conscience. Or does Gus immediately bring Mike under his thumb by threatening his granddaughter? Even that seems like a short-term solution to keep Mike at bay when just killing Mike would eliminate the problem. Mike's been useful to Gus, but he's still a relatively-new hire, and not exactly essential to the operation yet.

And Mike knows all this, so his best option is probably to catch Werner and talk him into coming back. Even if Werner succeeds in disappearing, it seems like the crew would still be highly suspicious, and thus at risk. Mike's gonna have to make this all right with Gus. Making it "all right" will mean disposing of the Germans entirely.

It will be interesting see how this whole experience informs Mike's relationship with the "nine guys" he goes on to recruit. It is his loyalty to that team that ultimately brings him down in Breaking Bad.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Mike is a next-level bullshitter. I love it. Have we ever seen Mike pull a scheme on this level? He's usually the muscle and intimidation. Great stuff.

Fred looks like the type of character from a Napoleon Dynamite/Wes Anderson-crossover film that would be directed by Wes Anderson and that would star Wes Anderson as Fred.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Christ, if I knew what I was doing in life to even a tenth of a degree that Mike knows what he’s doing, I’d be a millionaire.

How did Lalo start tailing Mike, I know he was at the chicken house getting plates, but was mike there? Was that where the security for the superlab base of operations was?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks