What's new

Better Call Saul - Season 5 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Cant believe this thread hasn't been created yet. About to premiere tonight (Sunday, 2/23), with a second episode tomorrow night (Monday, 2/24).

The reinstatement of Jimmy's law-license is, in my opinion, the absolute pinnacle of what makes Saul who he is. He tried to do right by his brother, and was driven to make a mistake. He spent a year being straight and making money legally and worked hard, and when he goes to get reinstated, he gives a sincere try at it, but gets turned down because he didn’t mention Chuck. They called him insincere. But he told his truth, and tried to do the right thing...but it got him nowhere.

So he goes back, feeds everyone a line of BS, and wins. It’s the final nail in the coffin -- the callback to, “I know what stopped me, and I’m never letting it stop me again” from Season 1. It’s truly tragic...but the worst part is that I would have done the exact same thing in his shoes.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The Breaking Bad-universe shows are both about the corruption of people, and whether the bad in them was there all along. Kim, in her own very different way, appears to be having an evolution similar to Saul and Walt. She was clearly so uncomfortable doing what she did for Bobby at the end of the episode, in terms of scamming him into taking the plea-bargain. This is like almost a last-ditch attempt to trust Jimmy/Saul’s methods, and at this point it seems to feel totally unnatural and alien to her.

The situation between Mike and Gus really makes me appreciate their relationship in Breaking Bad even more now. I always thought it was weird that Mike worked for Gus for [insert time here], and he let Walt off the hook by knowing how "dangerous" Walt was. But this show is making clear that Mike understand perfectly the type of person Gus was, and that this was purely a business-relationship. You can even see that him going to Mexico with Gus was purely his own disgust for the Salamancas and the cartel and wanting to make sure they could never come back to harm him or his family.

Mike appreciated Gus handling the business side of things, but other than that, he really does not give a fuck about him, and even finds him rather unpleasant. At least that's the picture I'm getting.

Really good complexities going on here.

Some other random thoughts:

- That cab-driver who confronted Gene at the mall was such a dick. "Fan," my ass, I bet he'll Google Saul up and see a nice reward from the DEA/FBI, and turn his ass in.

- In the Gene-future teaser, I thought he said "Holly," and was wondering how far in the future this really was, if Holly White is old enough to talk on the phone now.

- They should've had Ed say, "Hold on, your former client Jesse Pinkman is coming in -- this should be interesting."

- "Werner ZIEEEEEEEEgler"

- Justice Matters Most

- Great to see Ed Galbraith again, if a little sad given that Robert Forster has left us. RIP. We were lucky we got to see him one last time.

- Finally, confirmation that Max in BrBa was Gus's boyfriend.

- Drugs out of a drainpipe! That’s actually genius. God, I love the cinematography in this show. That drugs-sliding-down-a-pipe POV-shot was something else.

- Sweet fucking idiot Kai...the most-satisfying punch in the Vince-universe so far?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I guess they still have payphones in year [insert year after Breaking Bad ends here].
It is Omaha afterall.

- Finally, confirmation that Max in BrBa was Gus's boyfriend.
To be fair, that's what the Salamancas think (Hector pretty strongly hints at that in the episode where he kills Max) so it's not like Gus said that. That being said, I think Lalo is correct.

I don't think they'll ever reveal it but I want to know what Gus got up to in Santiago.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Any dude playing an original GameBoy after 2005 probably needs to stay out of prison.
As someone who still owns an original GameBoy I much appreciated that! Would have been more accurate to have him playing a GB Advance SP. But NO! One of those giant bricks!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watching this season opener tonight I couldn't believe I was actually watching it. Putting nearly two years between seasons makes you forget a lot of things.

I have a question...

Why did Milke punch that guy? I know he made a comment about his missing boss being soft, but I kind of missed the meaning of that.

When they cut to the vacuum shop and showed the blur of Robert Foster, I thought they would keep it in a blur and use a double since the actor died. I was very pleased to see they were able to film this episode prior to his death.

Not much else to comment on at the moment. A great start to a show I very much missed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike killed Werner but he liked him so when Kai, who has been a longstanding pain in Mike's ass, insulted Werner, Mike had had enough and slugged him.

Okay, I remember now. This is what happens when you put these seasons so far apart. I forgot that guy was an asshole and Mike did not like him

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks