1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Better Call Saul - Season 4 (AMC)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by joshEH, Jul 24, 2018.

1. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    [​IMG]

2. Message #302 of 321 Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Waiting a year-and-some-change is really gonna hurt like hell. So much to unpack tonight.

The show was, I think, originally envisioned as this half-hour comedy, with new clients for Saul Goodman each week, which I think would have worked.

Instead, we get this brilliant show, which is about a guy who loses himself.

Yeah, we all knew Werner would die, but surprise wasn't the point. Watching it play out was. Aside from all the fun tension of Mike vs. Lalo, the main draw was the heartbreaking final scene. So beautifully shot, and brings Mike's entire arc full-circle in the best way -- watching his scenes at the group therapy early on knowing he inflicts that same grief on Werner's wife was so incredibly impactful.

Amazing cold-open, one of the best in the show to date (as McGill-flashbacks always are) -- both brothers being on each other's side, having a genuine moment of connection, because deep down neither one really hated the other, which makes it all the more heartbreaking how viciously they turned on each other later on.

And THAT is why I could never bring myself to completely hate Chuck. For all of the dickheaded things he did and said to Jimmy, McKean always brought that perfect undercurrent of humanity to the character. I'm glad tonight showed that side of him much clearer than ever before. This episode showed exactly why the Jimmy/Chuck relationship was so painful -- because neither of them truly hated each other. Chuck still vouched for Jimmy despite his reservations, and Jimmy still wanted Chuck to go out on a limb and have fun. There was such a loyalty between them, even despite the other issues.

I always thought the drop of, "It's all good, man" the series has been building towards would be this wild moment of Jimmy getting the best of everyone and winning the case/con. But it feels so much more real and devastating that it happened here.

I love how hilariously overt the Jimmy-to-Saul transition was...but they totally earned that after this amazing episode. Jonathan Banks deserves an Emmy; he can do more acting with a subtle twitch than most actors could do with two faces. Kim was buying that whole hearing-act wholesale, and the entire time I was thinking his whole lesson from this isn't to be authentic, it's to lay on even more bullshit than before. I can't wait for the shit that will inevitably go down next season with Saul firmly established.

Easily my favorite episode of a show this year besides the finale of The Americans.

Other thoughts:

- When Jimmy is out smoking during the dedication, the ash falls on his suit, and without missing a beat, Rhea Seehorn brushes it off. She's so good.

- Lalo is the most unnerving of all the Salamancas we've seen thus far. It's easy to be brutal and angry like Hector or Tuco. But to have a smile on your face like that while hunting your prey is some next-level psychopath-shit.

- Anyone else notice the "million-dollar hole in the ground"-line Mike used was similar to the line Walt used when he thought Gus was about to kill him?

- Can we get an Arkham City-type game, but instead of Batman doing all the detective shit, it's Mike? I feel like he deserves it at this point. (Now that I remember, Jonathan Banks actually voiced Commissioner Gordon in the most recent game, Arkham Knight.)

- Don't think we've ever seen Jimmy that vulnerable before as he was down in the parking garage. Jimmy's speech to the girl is the closest to an unironic "moment-he-becomes-Saul" we'll get. An ultimate thesis statement for his entire career, and his first visceral, emotionally-honest scene of the season.

- Werner's death-scene was one of the most amazingly-framed shots in the series history, and that's saying a lot. Kudos to the cinematographer.

3. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    Is there any offical word about the wait time for season 5? 14 months was tough, and another would push us to Episode IX. Perhaps the fact that AMC green-lit season 5 at the time season 4 started airing the wait will be more in line with the first few seasons? I remember an odd wait for season 4 to be green-lit after season 3 finished airing. Or maybe that had nothing to do with it?

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I completely bought it too. I was even wondering how many years the show was going to be on since he still wasn't fully Saul yet. Now with the switch to Saul Goodman, the end seems near. I'd love to see a season of flashforwards with Jimmy working towards some redemption for all the horrible shit he's done but something tells me that when/if we see more than the usual amount of flashforwards, it will be an episode at most.

Sam Posten likes this.
  5. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    That episode was the trifecta of heartbreak: Possibly the last brotherly good moment Chuck and Jimmy spent together; Mike reluctantly and ultimately becomes the executioner; and Kim finally realizes that Jimmy is gone forever.

Sam Posten and TravisR like this.
  6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, this episode was when both Jimmy and Mike fully became the people we see on Breaking Bad.

7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Only thing missing from Lalo's ceiling-crawl was this:

A naked blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm, and a two-foot salami under the other. She lays the poodle on the table. Bartender says, "I suppose you won't be needing a drink." Naked lady says...

I think Jimmy's breakdown in the form of letting loose on the Esposito-girl, followed by him just completely losing it in his car, is his equivalent of Walt's meltdown in the crawlspace; it is here that something inside of him breaks, right down to his core, and it has set him on a much darker, colder path. He really has turned a corner, here, and I think he has given up on trying to be good altogether. He has let go of his inhibitions because he just *doesn't care* anymore.

TravisR likes this.
  8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Amazing finale. Just finished it and I am still processing the episode. So Jimmy embraced his feelings of inadequacy and his turn to the dark side is complete. His scene with Kim after the hearing was just a brutal reveal that was (probably) the straw that broke Kim's back.

It is gonna suck waiting for next season. But watcha' gonna do?

-Walter.

joshEH and TravisR like this.
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

"OH SHITTTTTT!"

joshEH likes this.
  10. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Of course my DVR froze at the exact moment he said "Saul Goodman!"

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

You didn't miss much. Jimmy walked away and Kim just stood there looking stunned and worried.

12. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

oh I got that part, it unfroze after he said it - lol I had to rewind a couple of times before I figured out that's what he said.

TravisR likes this.
  13. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."

joshEH, Dheiner and Chad Erickson like this.
  14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Great finale. Another superb season.

Not much more to say than most of you have said already.

Sam Posten likes this.
  15. Message #315 of 321 Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    [​IMG]

Lalo's ceiling-drop is probably one of the funniest things they've done on the show. That character has been gold so far. Man, as much as I like this show, I didn't realize how badly it needed a Lalo-type character until we got Lalo.

Also, man -- it really sucks to be a minimum-wage front desk employee in New Mexico, be it a car-rental or a wire-service. Briefly hoped that kid was gonna make it. I can't wait for Season 5.

TravisR likes this.
  16. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Do we know for sure that Lalo actually killed that kid. We did see him lying on the floor in the background but maybe Lalo just knocked him out. It wouldn’t be wise for him to fire a gun within earshot of others and hang around looking at the camera tapes.

17. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Lalo shot the kid. He's a badass villain and will be for the next season.

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I doubt they'll concretely reveal it one way or the other but that'd be my take too.

19. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    I think it would be really cool if someone took all of BCS and edited in just the Mike parts - leaving out Jimmy's story...

Don't get me wrong - I like the Saul story - but I could probably re-watch the Mike story a few times and enjoy it more and more every time.

20. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Probably my only real issue with this season was that the Jimmy story line was by far the least interesting of all the character arcs.