What's new

Fear the Walking Dead Season 5 (1 Viewer)

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
May I ask if you're the same Madhav Sharma the actor by any chance? I'm guessing you're not but you never know!
JB

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The shows writing is so bad I don’t care anymore , it makes no sense they have cars why are they even screwing with a plane, the kids are irritating, the dialog trite

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This used to be one of the best series I've ever watched but it has lost the lot now. The new character Negan was quite irritating and they have stretched that part quite a bit. Hope they create something better in the upcoming episode. I think they don't know how to end up the series on a good note.

?

Are you talking about “The Walking Dead” or “Fear the Waling Dead”? Sounds like the former.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The shows writing is so bad I don’t care anymore , it makes no sense they have cars why are they even screwing with a plane, the kids are irritating, the dialog trite
You have to remember that "Fear the Walking Dead" never made the five year time jump like the mothership did. So while the fuel has lasted longer than it probably would in the real world, it's internally consistent with the rules established by this universe.

And the fuel supplies for the plane were left behind by the organization with the helicopters, which seems extremely well-equipped, so that fuel is probably relatively fresh.

Same reason they can’t drive out of where they are. The area is inaccessible due to hurricane damage.
Yes, they're boxed in on three sides: by the mountain ridge in one direction, by the hurricane damage in another direction, and by the radiation from the nuclear meltdown in the third direction.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Same reason they can’t drive out of where they are. The area is inaccessible due to hurricane damage.
That’s not true there’s not much storm damage they are driving all over the area and if I have to see them talk over miles and miles using Cheapass Chinese handhelds I’m gonna meltdown myself

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season 5B trailer:

Very little Alicia in there. It might be because they're trying to maintain the suspense surrounding her radiation exposure. It might be because she actually is killed off in the mid-season finale, airing this Sunday. Alycia Debnam-Carey is fully participating in the press rounds at Comic-Con, however.

The second half of the season premieres August 11, meaning there's only a two week hiatus between the two halves.

That’s not true there’s not much storm damage they are driving all over the area
Yes, all over the area, but not outside it. The hurricane last season basically destroyed the infrastructure (bridges, etc.) for a large ways inland from the gulf coast. Many areas are still flooded, because there is no civilization to mitigate the damage. Unless you go pretty far north, it basically impossible to cross the middle of the country.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With these shows, it's sometimes a bigger shocker when nobody dies. I'm glad that Alicia and the rest of my favorites made it.

The time compression felt a little manipulative at times; Dorie and Dwight were supposedly 15-20 miles away when the reactor melted down, but they seemingly found another vehicle and closed that distance in no time at all.

Daniel coming through with the old school Christmas lights to light up the runway was a nice payoff.

it makes no sense they have cars
It looks like they're tackling this head on in Season 5B. On the main series, they had cars before they five-year time jump, and didn't have cars after the five-year time jump.

Since this show didn't make that time jump, it looks like we're seeing the moment where that transition happened. And maybe a way for our protagonists to keep their vehicles operating longer.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Finally caught up with the show up to current, we’ve been behind pretty much this entire front half. Really loving it! Since the start of season 4, I would rank it up there with the best of TWD. I hope Alicia pulls through and doesn’t die of radiation poisoning. Was very happy that the mid season break actually didn’t have any sort of tragedy/sadness to it. Looking forward to seeing more Big Russ Thompson in the back half!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The midseason premiere was tonight. It wasn't a great episode, for me, but it played better in retrospect once it was revealed that the episode (up until the final act) is actually a recruitment video for the group's altruistic cause.

In that context, the scenes that felt overwrought make sense as a sales pitch, and the intercutting between the cameras operated by Al, Luciana, Alicia, and Charlie make sense. I was worried that the whole back half of the season was going to be shot in this faux-documentary style I'm glad that's not the case. It does seem like an imperfect method of spreading the word, though, given that watching the video requires both electricity and the right A/V electronics.

Now it looks like the guy at the end (who may know where the oil fields are) was at some kind of way station that the group had set up, with the old CRT television and VCR positioned centrally for viewing. But even that raises questions: How can they afford to waste fuel running generators on the off-chance that someone will happen upon it? How often do they have someone stop at each waystation to refuel the generators?

And then there were certain things that didn't make sense to put in a recruitment video. First and foremost: the mention of tank town, the top secret location where the convoy refuels and where the group of kids saved in the first half of the season are being kept safe. If it's a top secret location, don't even mention it in your recruitment video. Likewise, probably leave out the trucker bragging about stealing the other trucker's fuel truck -- complete with b-roll footage of the actual theft.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
this was so stupid who the hell would be able to edit this in a freaking zombie apocalypse. Not to mention your right who the f would be able to see it as most don’t have access to DVD players at this point. This show has lost its way

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The thing that fascinated me about tonight's episode was the idea that the zombie apocalypse has sufficiently stabilized that we're starting to see the first inklings of culture reemerging, things that are not necessary for survival but resonate with human experience or human feeling.

Wes's trees were an expression of that, and Alicia's trees are an expression of that.

Other thoughts:
  • I'm glad Alicia's reticence about killing walkers only lasted a couple episodes. I get that popping open a walker and being showered with irradiated zombie blood would be traumatizing. But this is very much a get-with-the-program kind of world.
  • These shows don't seem to know how to write for large ensembles well. So inevitably the middle episodes of each story arc end up centering around rotating smaller groupings of characters; Morgan, Dwight, and Grace last week; Alicia, Strand, Morgan, and Al this week; John, Charlie, and June next week.
  • In a way, Al stashing her tapes in the bank vault was the worst strategic move she could have made; by taking such steps to protect the tapes, she inadvertently convinced Logan and his crew that they were hiding something more valuable.
  • The only reason they're able to continue their altruistic mission is because Logan is extraordinarily restrained by Big Bad standards; he frustrates, but unlike the Governor or Negan, he hasn't killed.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I like that Logan is a more “casual” villain so to speak. There was something of the ridiculous when it came to those groups of villains that came and went on TWD. Like how the saviors were so super well organized, coordinated and resourceful considering it’s the early years of an apocalypse. It’s a nice change seeing how Logan and his small group are. Still really loving this show. :thumbsup:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
This show is becoming unwatchable for me. The constant use of Al’s filmed vignettes is becoming painfully boring to me.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
This show is becoming unwatchable for me. The constant use of Al’s filmed vignettes is becoming painfully boring to me.

I've not yet watched this half of the season, but Yes to this. How is she keeping her camera charged and acquiring all the tapes? It's a character device that grew old on me quickly. Plus, who cuts their hair like that after the end of the world? It's completely impractical.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm still enjoying it, but "Al’s filmed vignettes" are definitely the worst part of it.

The whole idea of a video propaganda war between our group and the Settlers makes no sense when there's hardly any electricity. If there are people out there, they're not going to be watching either side's tapes.

The whole bit with Al documenting the zombie apocalypse was an idea that just didn't quite work, but the showrunners can't seem to let go of it.

On the other hand, if they are successful in clearing out the Old West town and settling down there, I'm excited by the prospect of a Season 5 that's a straight-up post-apocalyptic Western.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks