What's new

Better Call Saul - Season 4 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
How in the world do you remember crap like that?
I can't speak for Josh but I remember it because I think it's a funny reference that maybe 10% of the audience might know. Like what kid watching every episode of Breaking Bad in three weeks on Netflix even remotely has a clue about D.B. Cooper?

Also, I'm a huge fucking dork with too much time on my hands.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Had let the last two episodes languish and finally caught up earlier this evening. I'm kind of tired so I'll keep this brief.

The scenes with Gustavo were incredible. His monologue to Hector about his childhood and how we (the audience) know how it informs his attitudes towards his response to Hector was just riveting. Man, what a great scene.

The second reveal regarding Gus involving his moving the physician out of the picture to impede Hector's recovery was the icing on the cake. Giancarlo Esposito just owned both of those scenes.

I was dazzled by the time lapse opening of Monday's episode, both in terms of its execution and its ambition. It was the last thing I expected to see, with the assumption that the show's season break would advance the timeline, instead of the extended opening we saw Monday evening. I really picked up a Tarantino vibe in that segment with the use of the split screen and the music choices in the episode.

What a great show. I can't think of too many things that I'm watching that approach it in terms of its execution and its attention to detail. (Maybe Fargo and Legion, maybe.)

- Walter.

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, great episode. When Hector kept pressing his finger down, we kept wondering if the nurse or Fring was going to suggest... "maybe get him a bell." And they really added a layer of evil to Fring for having him only concerned for Hector's improving welfare only enough to suspend him in a perpetual hell on earth.

I was also surprised that the end between Jimmy and Kim is not coming with a bang, but a whimper. And probably a much more realistic and organic development in the directions they are going. It wasn't going to be one thing. It's just the slow growing apart. But when you see it in one montage within an episode, the impact of what's lost is devastating.

Man, I haven't heard Burl Ives' "Big Rock Candy Mountain" since I was young enough to imagine climbing one. And I guess they didn't want to fork out the big bucks for Nancy Sinatra's original version of "Something Stupid." It probably doesn't matter since most of the audience might not know the difference.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Kim stress-buying office supplies before making a rash-and-probably-idiotic decision is the most I've ever related to a character in the Breaking Bad-iverse.

More remarkable is that both the writer and director of the episode were both first-timers. Every shot, cut and performance was on-point. It felt a little weird not knowing what's been going on with Nacho in the ensuing nine months, but I assume he'll return next week. That opening montage was remarkable.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As you guys get ready to watch tonight's episode, I am just catching up on last week's installment.

I love the style of this show. That opening split screen where Jimmy and Kim are going through their daily rituals was just fantastic.

Sometimes the best part of SAUL is the way they lens it.

It's definitely starting to look like Kim and Jimmy are going their separate ways. The setup is starting for the big split.

...and I second that Burl Ives song as being fantastic! The music choices are just great every week.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Gah. ABQ to HOU? That's a long-ass drive.

Also, Stuckey's! Home of the pecan log.

EDIT: Is Jimmy going to send letters of support for Huell from different locations?

Will Kim have them march huge bags of them into the courtroom like letters to Santa?

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
OMG SHE BOUGHT ALL THE SUPPLIES TO GIVE JIMMY A FAKE PROJECT LIKE A CHILD SO SHE CAN REST EASY WHILE SHE DOES THE REAL LAWYER STUFF. Give him something stupid to occupy himself with so he doesn't fuck everything up. They're so about to break up.

Also, if Jimmy keeps licking those envelopes, he may not make it to the end of the episode, like George Costanza's fiancee.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So do the German workers use their own salary for the strippers? Or did Mike give them a stipend for the strip-club? I’m dying to know whose dollars are going into g-strings, here.

These are Germans, an American strip-club is nothing compared to the Frankfurt red-light district.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, Germans will always correct your German, but always in the most-polite way possible. Facts.

Mike is obviously a Schalke-fan, which is why he's annoyed with the drunken Dortmund-fan.

INB4 Kai kills a stripper

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks