What's new

B&W Shows on DVD from the major studios (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
With the recent announcement of season 1 of “Hazel” by Sony, a company that hasn’t done much very much in the way of black & white TV-on-DVD releases, I wondered about the track record of black & white shows from the major studios. Here’s what I found based on existing or announced releases:

Fox:
Lost in Space
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Paramount:
The Andy Griffith Show
Gunsmoke
Have Gun Will Travel
The Honeymooners (Classic 39)
I Love Lucy
Perry Mason
The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt. Bilko)
Rawhide
The Wild, Wild West

Sony:
Bewitched
Hazel
I Dream of Jeannie

Universal:
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Leave It To Beaver
The Munsters

Warner:
The Adventures of Superman
Cheyenne
F-Troop
Gilligan’s Island
Maverick (TV Favorites 3-episode release)

Are there any black & white shows missing from the above list? While none of the majors has a stellar track record with respect to black & white shows, at least Paramount is moving in the right direction with five black & white shows (Gunsmoke, Phil Silvers, Wild, Wild West, Perry Mason and Rawhide) either released or announced during 2006 so far.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Bob, thanks for the post. Sure seems to indicate that we need more of the earlier B/W series released. That's a '10-4' on Paramount :) WWW & Perry Mason are gems.

Image:

Combat!
Twilight Zone Def Version

(2 of my favorite B/W series)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Well, Warner distrbutes Doctor Who for the BBC, and that sports a very healthy selection of Black and White episodes.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Jeff, I purposely didn't include the independent releasing companies in my list, but you can also add Naked City, The Dick Van Dyke Show and Tales of Tomorrow (early 1950s live Sci-Fi anthology series) to Image's list. I really wanted to see which of the major studios was releasing the most in the way of classic/vintage black & white shows, and Paramount seems to be a bit more willing to take a risk on black & white shows than the other studios, judging by the number of shows either released or announced to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks