What's new

Avia or Video Essentials (1 Viewer)

Jason GT

Second Unit
I couldn't find this on a cursory search, so I'll just ask. :)

Looks like I can get a new copy of VE (for $80 CDN, which is a touch more than $ 50 USD). Avia will cost substantially the same.

Is one of these inherently better than the other? Would it just be better to wait for Digital VE?

Thanks in advance.

J

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
VE is out of production and mostly dried up, so this might be your only chance at the older, tried and true model. As you note, Digital VE is in the pipeline, but exact release and price are not announced.

For the nonce, you can get the Sound&Vision Home Theater TuneUp disk (made by the Avia people) for $15U.S. at amazon.com or perhaps at a walk-in Barnes&Noble store. Avia usually goes for $39 at amazon.com as well.

Each of these three available get the job done.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

Is DVE a substantial improvement over VE? Since you're the man I'm asking :D .

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I used VE to setup most of my home theater, but since I just upgraded to a 6.1 setup I used the Sound & Vision setup disc. It has 6.1 test tones and also DTS test tones and is pretty cheap. I picked mine up for $15(US).

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Jason,

We only know what VE's head man, Joe Kane, has revealed but it appears Digital VE will be a major revision, incorporating HighDefinition and a package of progressive scales, plus paying attention to room set-up (furniture, walls, placement). There will be 5 disks ranging to a Pro version for $$$. Again, these have not been released but are anticipated this year.

WideScreenReview magazine has carried one or two articles if you can find it online for free. There used to be link to WSR here at the HTF but I dont activate it.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
I've used the Laserdisc version of VE, the DVD version of VE and Avia. Avia has many more test patterns and much more instructional material than VE. IMHO, Avia is also somewhat easier to navigate than VE.

Both are good however. Given my druthers I'd pick Avia, although I haven't looked at the Sound and Vision disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks