What's new

Marantz AV 10 - Initial Impressions (2 Viewers)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My new Marantz AV10 arrived earlier today. Fedex gave me a delivery window of 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM. Since a direct signature was required, I spent my entire morning at home waiting, [forgoing a tempting motorcycle ride] but the orange and white truck finally appeared in my driveway, around 1:50 PM.

For general balance, I typically limit my time in the HT to about 2 hours per evening, usually 5 - 7 PM. Remembering the experience I had with the Anthem AVM70 back in March, I initially decided I wouldn't have time to both setup and enjoy the AV10 today and resolved to wait until tomorrow to unbox it. Being the tech nerd and home theater degenerate I am, however, I quickly succumbed to my addiction and headed down to the HT.

I'm not going to comment on sound quality or anything of that sort just yet as I've had literally an hour or so of actual listening time and it wasn't meant to be a critical session. I'm also going to resist any urges to heap too much praise on the AV10 right away as I did that with the AVM70 [some totally deserved] and ended up ultimately not liking the overall package offered by Anthem.

Enough qualifying, here are my initial impressions thus far.
Boxed.jpg

Open Box 2.jpg

The AV10 is double-boxed by Marantz and arrived in perfect condition. It is quite a bit heavier than the AV7702MKii it is replacing.

Remote.jpg

The remote is elegant and a huge improvement over previous iterations.

Audyssey Mic.jpg
Sadly, the Audyssey mic and cheesy paper tripod have been retained. I wasn't expecting a UMIK 1 but this mic and tripod seem oddly out of place for a flagship product.
Racked.jpg

OK - Here is the AV10 installed. Physical installation was completed in minutes but that is the case with virtually any AV processor thanks to the shelves I've recently installed. Once physical installation was complete I moved on to the part where I figured there might be trouble, the logical setup and speaker configuration.

The Marantz setup assistant in my AV7702 MKii was the best I'd seen and a large part of why I found the Anthem AVM70's menu system [despite that products many positive attributes] completely unacceptable. The AV10 improves on previous generations in every way, making logical setup an absolute pleasure. Anyone familiar with Marantz or Denon receivers/processors will have no trouble at all. I'd suspect even the unfamiliar would find the system quite intuitive and simple to follow.

On Screen.jpg

Within a little over an hour of opening the box, I had the AV10 ready for Audyssey calibration. The on-screen guide has been enhanced and includes much more comprehensive menus than before but I was able to skip though all of it, giving attention only where needed to get my system calibrated. Once started, the calibration took about 20 minutes.

After that there is an additional section of menus designed to assist in setting up the video inputs. I found these menus to be overkill as you're better off just accepting the defaults and then correcting any anomalies manually. Using the assistant here caused a few blank screens and resets which could have been avoided. I also found it odd the unit assumes it will be connected to a TV and expects an ARC/eARC device by default. I'd think most who buy the AV10 will be using projectors but I could be wrong.

Firmware Update.jpg

Once I got everything setup and calibrated, the unit rebooted itself and prompted me a firmware update was available. This process was seamless, taking about 9 minutes as indicated and counted down on the porthole display. By contrast, the Anthem AVM70 took about 30 minutes to complete it's firmware update and that was after nearly an hour spent trying to get it to actually complete.

These are just my initial unboxing and setup impressions of the AV10. For now, color me impressed. The build quality [minus the Audyssey components] of this unit are quite impressive indeed. Both it's weight and girth are closer to what you'd expect in a power amp, not so much a processor. It is also a very good looking unit, aesthetically. I'll be adding more here as I continue to spend time with the AV10.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Congrats on the new Pre-Amp. I'm surprise you jumped back into the pool so quickly. However, I shouldn't be surprise because I had the similar issues with my Anthem receiver, and I immediately jumped back into the pool with my new Yamaha receiver.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, can you confirm that thing is over 19” deep? That’s the main challenge I have to deal with.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Congrats on the new Pre-Amp. I'm surprise you jumped back into the pool so quickly. However, I shouldn't be surprise because I had the similar issues with my Anthem receiver, and I immediately jumped back into the pool with my new Yamaha receiver.
The 12V triggers on my AV7702 MKii [which I rely on for my external amps] had stopped working and on a couple of occasions I heard loud, distorted noise, in my speakers, so I felt a decision had to be made.

If you've seen some of my pervious comments, you know I'm not exactly crazy about Audyssey but I figured I can try the Editor app now [or even Audyssey Pro] and see if those bridge the gap. If not, I now have an easy path to Dirac.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
BTW, can you confirm that thing is over 19” deep? That’s the main challenge I have to deal with.
Confirmed. I measured 18.5" but when you add the antenna extension it's 19". By contrast, the AV7702 MKii is only about 15.5" with antennas.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Great!

I will probably be joining you before too long. The major thing about Marantz (and Denon) products is the same I say about Apple products. They just work.
I’ve known this to be an absolute truth with Apple products since I switched over to the iPhone line 14 years ago and bought my first Mac over 10 years ago.

Last year, I found it to also be true with Denon when I bought an S750H receiver.

Having said that, I’m already planning an upgrade to a Marantz whenever I’m able to rebuild my HT.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I’ve known this to be an absolute truth with Apple products since I switched over to the iPhone line 14 years ago and bought my first Mac over 10 years ago.

Last year, I found it to also be true with Denon when I bought an S750H receiver.

Having said that, I’m already planning an upgrade to a Marantz whenever I’m able to rebuild my HT.
Glad to hear this. You deserve a kick-ass HT when the time comes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@John Dirk I think I missed an interim updates You returned the Anthem and replaced it with the Marantz? (Maybe I knew that but forgot. It’s been a busy summer :) )

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The 12V triggers on my AV7702 MKii [which I rely on for my external amps] had stopped working and on a couple of occasions I heard loud, distorted noise, in my speakers, so I felt a decision had to be made.

If you've seen some of my pervious comments, you know I'm not exactly crazy about Audyssey but I figured I can try the Editor app now [or even Audyssey Pro] and see if those bridge the gap. If not, I now have an easy path to Dirac.
I feel about my 7702 like I do my current car: please don’t break please don’t die. :D I want to upgrade … but not quite yet, so please last another year or three without problems so I can get a few more options closer to my needs and budget.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@John Dirk I think I missed an interim updates You returned the Anthem and replaced it with the Marantz? (Maybe I knew that but forgot. It’s been a busy summer :) )
As some others have found with the current line of preamps and receivers, it was a little too glitchy.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yea, it was discussed in this thread back in March. Post #164 is the one where I announced the Anthem would be going away.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I feel about my 7702 like I do my current car: please don’t break please don’t die. :D I want to upgrade … but not quite yet, so please last another year or three without problems so I can get a few more options closer to my needs and budget.
I think that's a good strategy. In my case, I was becoming concerned about speaker damage after a couple of unceremonious instances of loud, static noise. That, along with the trigger issue, was enough for me to take action but importantly [aside from Audyssey limitations] my decision had nothing to do with the actual sound or performance of the AV7702MKii.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Looking forward to your experience with the AV10. Curious if you buy any of the upgrade room correction features.
Just thought I would chime in here. I don’t have an AV10 but I have the SR8015. I’ve been using Audyssey’s MultEq-X pc software with it and I found it made a huge difference over the built in Audssey and also the mobile app. Lots of capabilities around customizing how the sound is being corrected. Be warned though there is a learning curve. Luckily there are good tutorials and videos out there.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Just thought I would chime in here. I don’t have an AV10 but I have the SR8015. I’ve been using Audyssey’s MultEq-X pc software with it and I found it made a huge difference over the built in Audssey and also the mobile app. Lots of capabilities around customizing how the sound is being corrected. Be warned though there is a learning curve. Luckily there are good tutorials and videos out there.
I believe you're referring to Audyssey Pro, right? The only problem I have with it is the price, which I believe approaches the cost of a Dirac license. If so then I'd probably prefer the latter as it's already proven across multiple brands.

Robert Saccone

Premium
No not Audyssey Pro but the $200 MultQ-Ex software.

Also on another forum there’s an extensive thread on your new prepro and it has lots of posts about issues with Dirac whereas MultQ-Ex which was released almost 2 years ago has very little complaints.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wonder if it needs that aircom. Preamps usually don’t generate much heat.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
No not Audyssey Pro but the $200 MultQ-Ex software.

Also on another forum there’s an extensive thread on your new prepro and it has lots of posts about issues with Dirac whereas MultQ-Ex which was released almost 2 years ago has very little complaints.

I had the name wrong but it's the same product and price point. I take issue with Marantz charging extra to unlock the full potential of a room correction system I've already paid for. The Dirac limited bandwidth license is only $59.00 more. I'm aware of the initial issues too but confident they will get sorted out soon enough. In the meantime I'll just wait.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks