What's new

The (Next Gen) Pre/Pro Thread (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I felt it might be a good idea to have a dedicated place to discuss the new and emerging crop of AV receivers and processors. I recently spent some time with the Anthem AVM70 and sadly found it's UI and control options to be a bit more cumbersome than I was willing to accept. After this experience I concluded it may be a year or more before a processor worthy of unseating my current Marantz AV7702MKII appears on the market, unless of course, I break down and grab a previously owned Emotiva XMC 1or similar on the cheap, which is unlikely but not impossible. :cool:

Despite my feelings about their handling of Dirac Live integration, my new forerunner may actually be the recently released Marantz family of products. I got a look at the UI today and have to say, it's compelling.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We're dealing with the same issue. The one problem I have with the Marantz AV10 is it's almost 20" deep, plus you have to allow for rather long XLR connectors. I don't think it can fit. I've also considered giving the Emotiva RMC-1L a try, but I know I'll be kicking myself when the new model comes out. They lowered the price and claim that means new buyers will be able to upgrade at close to the total cost for a new model, since It's modular and can be upgraded. I just don't know.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yep. Seems like the best option may be to wait it out for a year or maybe even a few, something I generally hate but, at this point, my wallet will appreciate.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As you guys know I bought the Anthem 1140 to replace my Yamaha 3060. I'm seriously thinking of returning it as I'm having some issues that John had with his AVM 70. I just don't like being dependent on a web based interface. Furthermore, I'm having issues connecting it wireless to my network. Anthem's instructions are not that detailed either.

I'm seriously thinking of going back to Yamaha and either getting the RX-A8A Aventage 11.2 Receiver or RX-A6A Aventage 9.2 Receiver. The latter is a $1000 cheaper and I can still maintain my 7.2.4 Atmos setup while using my 7400 Outlaw amp to drive the 7 main speakers along with the subs while having the RX-A6A just drive the 4 Atmos speakers.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
As you guys know I bought the Anthem 1140 to replace my Yamaha 3060. I'm seriously thinking of returning it as I'm having some issues that John had with his AVM 70. I just don't like being dependent on a web based interface. Furthermore, I'm having issues connecting it wireless to my network. Anthem's instructions are not that detailed either.

I'm seriously thinking of going back to Yamaha and either getting the RX-A8A Aventage 11.2 Receiver or RX-A6A Aventage 9.2 Receiver. The latter is a $1000 cheaper and I can still maintain my 11.2.4 Atmos setup while using my 7400 Outlaw amp to drive the 7 main speakers along with the subs while having the RX-A6A just drive the 4 Atmos speakers.
While I'm sorry to hear this, Robert, I can't say I am surprised. The poor control options and UI are just such a shame as Anthem products really do appear to be cutting edge in overall performance for the money.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While I'm sorry to hear this, Robert, I can't say I am surprised. The poor control options and UI are just such a shame as Anthem products really do appear to be cutting edge in overall performance for the money.
I feel like a dumbass trying to get the receiver to work with my network and I haven't even had time to use ARC because I'm dealing with those other issues. Furthermore, I would need a 40 foot USB cord to get ARC to work because I can't use that mobile app.

I had enough of it! I ordered another receiver this morning and will be contacting Audio Advice later today for a RA number.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The latter is a $1000 cheaper and I can still maintain my 11.2.4 Atmos setup while using my 7400 Outlaw amp to drive the 7 main speakers along with the subs while having the RX-A6A just drive the 4 Atmos speakers.
I'm guessing you mean 7.2.4 not 11.2.4.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, to use ARC, you need to use the mobile app, which seems to have severe problems, or connect the receiver with USB to a computer? In my case, that wouldn't be a big deal. I do that for REW anyway.

Anthem really sells the web interface, but I didn't realize it was at the expense (mostly) of a good OSD. I don't quite understand what the OSD can do. Is it just not very useful?

If just connecting to WiFi is a problem, that's not good. That should be easy as pie.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anthem sure is bringing on a lot of sleep deprivation. Who else got one recently? I know at least one person said he had.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So, to use ARC, you need to use the mobile app, which seems to have severe problems, or connect the receiver with USB to a computer? In my case, that wouldn't be a big deal. I do that for REW anyway.

Anthem really sells the web interface, but I didn't realize it was at the expense (mostly) of a good OSD. I don't quite understand what the OSD can do. Is it just not very useful?

Seems like they musta invested all their UI resources on the web browser interface or something for this recent gen/line -- the previous gen had no such option... plus had more hard buttons (vs almost none for this new gen), generally more traditional look, etc on the units, which I certainly prefer...

If just connecting to WiFi is a problem, that's not good. That should be easy as pie.

Not sure if that's just a general problem w/ Anthem's implementation, but my AVM-60's wifi (or perhaps how its DTS Play-Fi works thru it) also seems rather flakey even though its antennae have nearly direct line-of-sight from my router that's only several feet away. I ended up just giving up on its wifi and ran a flat ethernet cable to (mostly) solve the issue instead... though I rarely ever actually use that now anyway since I can just stream Apple Music losslessly via my ATV4K controlled by my phone (and soon entry-level, previous gen iPad) -- DTS Play-Fi via my AVM-60 just never seemed that great anyway, including the sporadic audio dropouts I'd get, especially when streaming from my PC over wifi (w/ the data actually running over 3 wifi connections to get to the prepro)...

_Man_

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Anthem sure is bringing on a lot of sleep deprivation. Who else got one recently? I know at least one person said he had.
I bought an MRX 1140 in February 2021. Made sure I had the most recent firmware (important with Anthem products). I spent the first weekend learning how to use ARC (10+ hours).

Ran ARC (30 minutes).

Re-ran ARC (30 minutes) the following weekend after realizing I screwed something up. Turns out the speaker distances are actually delays not real world distances and you shouldn't mess with whatever ARC sets. I went back in after running ARC and manually changed the distances to reflect the real world distances. That was wrong. Biggest lesson learned with Anthem is: trust ARC's settings. Trust the crossovers, trust the distances, trust everything (sorry, Fox Mulder).

Re-ran ARC one more time after I bought two SVS SB16 subs (30 minutes).

Haven't touched it since.

System runs like a dream.

This is my last device until I upgrade to a Trinnov.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You have to connect the calibration mic [not the actual unit] via USB to a computer, just as you would with REW. ARC then communicates with the Anthem device via a wired or wifi network connection. Dirac Live will be the same in this regard as the better room correction systems all offload the processing to a computer, as opposed to what Audyssey does.

You're right and, after trying to use the OSD, I understand why. Take another look at the previous thread, post #47. Those overlays are the extent of what you get in the OSD, so you have to cycle through them sequentially, hoping you're in the right area for the adjustment you want to make. Take too long to figure it out and the overlay will time out on you. There is no full-screen menu as with Denon/Marantz products.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I bought an MRX 1140 in February 2021. Made sure I had the most recent firmware (important with Anthem products). I spent the first weekend learning how to use ARC (10+ hours).

Ran ARC (30 minutes).

Re-ran ARC (30 minutes) the following weekend after realizing I screwed something up. Turns out the speaker distances are actually delays not real world distances and you shouldn't mess with whatever ARC sets. I went back in after running ARC and manually changed the distances to reflect the real world distances. That was wrong. Biggest lesson learned with Anthem is: trust ARC's settings. Trust the crossovers, trust the distances, trust everything (sorry, Fox Mulder).

Haven't touched it since.

System runs like a dream.

I had the same feeling going in. As I began to discover how difficult the AVM70 could be to interact with, I reasoned it would be an infrequent experience, and thus tolerable. Test tones, however, are something I use often and when I couldn't get those to work it really concerned me regarding long-term ownership. Having a brand new unit lock up several times concerned me too. I was also breaking in my new JVC NZ8 at the same time. If I was going to have issues I thought they would be with the projector, not the processor.

I'll tell anyone who asks that the AVM70 is a great performance bargain if you're willing to live with its UI. For my tastes, I must begrudgingly admit Marantz is a better fit.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Congrats on the SB16's! Hubba hubba!!!
Ah, the Trinnov! I just can't justify the expense. It's interesting to me why processors based on PC platforms cost so much more than purpose built chassis since PC's are basically commodity items today. Same with the MadVR boxes.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Looks like D&M has finally made good on their Dirac Live update but there are issues. Also, check out the load time on the AV10. Much slower than the Anthem AVM70.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, that 1140 Anthem receiver is headed back to Audio Advice. My experience with that receiver really humbled me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks