What's new

Avia or Avia II ?? (1 Viewer)

julezberg

Agent
Real Name
Ian
Whats the difference between the two?

Which one is better?

The original Avia dvd seems to be more expensive AND gets better reviews than the Avia II. Is the the o.g. better?

I was going to get the Avia II because i thought it was a more updated version and would be a little better but now im a little skeptical.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid I do not know the difference. I used the original one for years, but switched to Digital video Essentials later and for BluRay.

For the basic sound and video setup - both should include similar test patterns and tutorials with the colored filters you look through in both.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've never used Avia II either, just the original and a couple of versions of Video Essentials. My recollection is that Avia II was designed to be simpler to use. One of the knocks on the original was that is was slightly more user friendly than VE, but still very technical and hard to navigate, especially if you just wanted to go back and "touch up" your settings by going straight to the test patterns instead of following the tutorials. I think some of the negative reviews of II may have been from more tech-savvy types who liked the aspects of the original that were intimidating to novices.

Either one should do a perfectly adequate job for you. When you get a Blu Ray player you'll naturally want to get a BD calibration disc in any event.

Regards,

Joe

julezberg

Agent
Real Name
Ian
Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably go with the Avia II.

And I actually DID recently get a Blu-ray player so do you guys have any suggestions there? And if i were to get a BD calibration disc, would that disc still be adequate for all the NORMAL audio and video calibration that needs to be done? So that i could just buy one disc that covers everything?

thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks