What's new

TV Calibration Help (1 Viewer)

MonkeyCam

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
I recently upgraded from a Sony Bravia that was about 14 yrs. old to a Samsung AU8000. I'd like to tweak the settings on the Samsung to get a better picture without ending up pulling my hair out in frustration. I have a Terminator 2 Blu-ray that has a THX optimizer on it that I originally used to adjust the Bravia, but I've lost the blue-lensed THX glasses I had. From the little bit of online research I've done, it seems that method is now outdated, anyway. Is that true? If not, then I found an inexpensive Disney WOW optimization Blu-ray that comes with a blue-lensed filter. Should I get that, or what? I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, and, like I said, I don't want to end up going cross-eyed, beating my head against the wall in frustration, or shelling out more than $50 to do this. Please advise. :)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
On the Samsung, there’s a setting called ‘RGB Only Mode’ that can remove red and green and leave you with just blue. It’s under expert picture settings.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Time to spend some $$$ on an ISF job! I'm sure there are many sites that have calibrations. All you need is a baseline.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For the time being, I would just go to RTING.com and look up the model.of TV set that you have. They have a calibration section that gives values they use for a basic calibration. It isn't perfect since TVs, even of the same model can vary, but the settings are a good starting point until.a perso decides to get a professional Calibration or the equipment to do one themselves.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Edwin. I'm not sure that particular TV justifies the cost of ISF calibration.

MonkeyCam

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
I agree with Edwin. I'm not sure that particular TV justifies the cost of ISF calibration.
Right, it's not a high-end TV. That, and the fact that I'm not all that tech savvy is why I'm more looking for something that's not expensive or difficult to do to improve picture quality. I've heard that most out-of-the-box settings are kind of crappy, so I just want to fix that without breaking my piggy bank or getting lost in the weeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks