What's new

Avia II for dummies???!? (1 Viewer)

seedybrick

Agent
Real Name
ken
OK....i did the basic setups and my screen looked terrible lol.

So i had the woman do it with me and it looks a little better.

So then there are all of the advanced tests.....i have the "instructions" that come pdf with the disc......however i have zero clue wtf i am doing with most of these or which tests are really necessary to look into.

Is there an avia for dummies out there that explains what needs to be done for a newbie like me???

any other advice?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Who is "the woman?" Is this a TV or projector? You really just need to do contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness. I use the Sound & Vision Home Theater tune-up disc, which is made by the same company that makes Avia. It is very easy to use with easy to understand instructions. And I use the THX Optimizer for setting contrast.

seedybrick

Agent
Real Name
ken
lol the woman is MY woman ;)

it's a sony xbr4

ok then....i thought i needed to mess with all that advanced stuff too

honestly.....the basic settings calibration hardly seemed to change anything in my picture at all

i need better eyes maybe =()

thx much

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That just means the TV is very close from the factory. My brother has a 52" Sony LCD that was almost perfect using the Cinema setting. 1 or 2 clicks on the brightness is all it took.

seedybrick

Agent
Real Name
ken
yeah i guess i just need to play with it more because right now i have mine on standard as the cinema setting looked kinda krappy?

really the biggest thing i'm worried about is the backlight and whatever other parameters that affect the life of my tv

going to try DVE next i suppose!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
One thing you want to do when using any calibration disc is turn off all the system pre-sets for all functions. This not only includes "modes" like Cinema, Sports, etc., but also individual settings for various functions. My JVC has items for digital color correction, automatic gamma control, digital noise reduction and other things, all of which must be disabled before I can get an accurate calibration.

Regards,

Joe

seedybrick

Agent
Real Name
ken
yep did that!

my biggest problem right now is just losing a lot of detail with blacks etc.

like a guy wearing a black suit.....just looks like a silouette

and so it's like what.....contrast, brightness, backlight are all settings that would affect this?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
that would be the brightness control, which "should" be labelled the black level control

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks