What's new

AVIA II 2007 or DVE Pro ? (1 Viewer)

G500

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hi,

I'd like to make a first time purchase of a calibration DVD. I initially sought out AVIA because of all the comments on it here, but since have spied DVE Pro. It looks as though it has a few more test patterns etc.

I'm happy to pay to have an initial recalibration, but would like some nice DVD set to fall back on for intermittent adjustments. I seem to have sick endurance when it comes to hammering away at tech stuff, so the geekier the set the better I figure.

I hope I'm not beating an all together dead horse with this. I had searched and seen much on AVIA, but would like input on their latest; AVIA II 2007, and DVE Pro.

Cheers,

Joe

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Do you not want/need HD? The only Blu-ray commercially produced title at present is the new 'DVE: HD Basics.' DVE Pro includes multiple versions of 'DVE,' including very elaborate Windows Media Video HD test patterns only (no tutorial narration or "Montage Of Images" sections) in 720P and 1080P. The WMV HD material requires an HD media-capable PC. The 'DVE' HD DVD combo disc has more elaborate patterns on it than the new 'HD Basics' version. 'Avia II' in HD has been further delayed until some time this Summer. My company carries all versions of 'DVE.'

'Avia Pro' has an abundance of valuable material, but no HD, and is quite expensive. Unfortunately, there is no perfect single calibration disc solution that includes everything one could want. If you don't require HD at this time, 'Avia II' is a good solution for a first outing: easy to navigate, good basic information, decent pattern assortment. It's a bit pricey for the limited content but much more intuitive to navigate than the SD 'DVE.'

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

G500

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Alan,

Thanks for the breakdown. *head swimming* :)

*swimming* because I've never had an interest in getting all geekie on a 'TV' until my 51G500 Hitachi needed some serious TLC lately.

To be completely honest I'm not sure if I need an HD calibration set .. ?? I think my Hitachi has some proprietary virtual HD? so does that mean I can benefit from the AVIA HD coming out this summer?

Sounds like DVE PRO may be overkill. All I need is something to tweak the picture on this TV for now, and after a Pro sets it up for me.

Please advise as to whether I actually 'do' need AVIA HD to properly set up this set.

Much appreciated,

Joe

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Not sure? It's really quite simple: if you don't own either an HD DVD player, a Blu-ray Disc player, or a Media Center PC, you don't need one of the HD format discs.

I find it odd that someone has to be considered a "geek" if he wants to understand how to use his TV properly. The last time I checked around Thanksgiving time, if you shop multiple sources for the right turkey, follow a recipe, use a special measuring instrument called a meat thermometer, buy a unique wire rack to go in the bottom of the roasting pan, and experiment each year with different kinds of stuffing, you're not called a geek. If you're a cook who likes to be sure the end product is pleasing for everyone enjoying it, you're admired. If you go through similar detailed procedures to obtain the best image on your TV, you're considered peculiar and obsessive. Why is that?

G500

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
That's good! :beer:

I think it's a cultural thang. Those imbued with technical acumen are said to be geeky. I, for one, do not see 'geek' as a dirty word. I guess I can relate, on my own level, to this level of attention of which we speak. The difference I guess is that, on average, most of use apply some level of detail to eating each and every day to survive. A TV left to entropy, will still flash away in the corner feeding our daily soma holiday without any attention at all, save the few of us that feel that intrinsic call to 'fix' what we see as lacking. If tweaking were a necessary activity for survival, they'd all be doing it! :)

I think it's a noble drive to want to improve that around us .. that which the masses are happy to trod by each day without note. Whether that be improving a beautiful gobble dish, or rewiring an old GPS.

Intrinsic sense of curiosity+drive to improve+fruitful research+energy expended+[lost time+decrease in bathing habits+coffee+++:P ]=Geekiness

Geekiness Rules

Peace Bro,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks