What's new

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Interesting. I figured they would have had Grace’s consciousness finding it’s way into a new Avatar. This is an interesting way to keep using Sigourney without going that route.

We already discussed that a character in the teaser looks very much like an Avatar version Steven Lang’s Quaritch right down to the haircut and arm tattoo. But if they aren’t bringing Grace back (who had some sort of path to resurrection because of the consciousness upload) then perhaps it isn’t Quaritch. Maybe a brother?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Interesting. I figured they would have had Grace’s consciousness finding it’s way into a new Avatar. This is an interesting way to keep using Sigourney without going that route.

We already discussed that a character in the teaser looks very much like an Avatar version Steven Lang’s Quaritch right down to the haircut and arm tattoo. But if they aren’t bringing Grace back (who had some sort of path to resurrection because of the consciousness upload) then perhaps it isn’t Quaritch. Maybe a brother?
To bring Quaritch back his consciousness would have had to have been stored someplace pretty quick after his death, before brain death, which is damn quick. But this is sci-fi. Who the planet would have wanted to and had the capability?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
To bring Quaritch back his consciousness would have had to have been stored someplace pretty quick after his death, before brain death, which is damn quick. But this is sci-fi. Who the planet would have wanted to and had the capability?
Yeah, they can pretty much do whatever they want if they are actually resurrecting anyone.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Quaritch returns....

QUARITCH-TW.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
@Alex.C I guess its no longer a requirement that the avatar be specifically grown for a specific person. Knowing Quaritch it wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve basically hijacked and existing Navii.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Good to see the marketing and renewed interest (even if only from a small group of people) for Avatar.

I say this because these days, a new James Cameron film is a huge event. Whatever one's thoughts on his character, directorial style, or filmography, his last 2 films have taken the global box office crown on initial release (ignoring all the inflation-adjusted discussion, which is another can of worms). That's a pretty unique feat.

Aside from box office, his films have pushed boundaries for special effects, strong female characters, and action filmmaking and storytelling. And many of my favourite films come from Cameron's oeuvre, including Aliens.

Am I looking forward to Avatar 2? Sure!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I’ve enjoyed all of the Empire tidbits. As I’ve said, I don’t think this is a movie that needs a groundswell of vocal internet interest. It’ll come out, and it’ll be an enormous success. I hopeful that it is good and something new. Cameron never throws stuff at a wall, so he will explain the Quaritch/recombinants mechanics, and since the character Sigourney is playing is adopted, I think there may be some connection to Grace in there as well.

I’m just thrilled he is making another movie, and excited his scope is so big. I quite enjoyed the first one, and my appreciation deepened when my son watched it a few years back and again further when we visiting Disney’s AK a year after Pandora opened. So I’m all in here.

Last edited:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think that comes from him just saying 3 hours isn't too long (by definition), and twitter people shouldn't complain about it. I am certain editing on the forthcoming film is still very much in progress, so there is no runtime...180 min is speculation based on his comments.

The first film was 162 minutes (up to 170 and 178 in the longer [at-home] versions). I'm sure it will nudge 3 hours. Since Cameron understands pacing and story structure, I'm not worried about it one way or the other.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^That's going to be an upscale of an upscale by the way. Avatar's live action plates were all shot in 1080p using Sony CineAltas. There's no way to get true 4k out of it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So what? The overwhelming majority of effects laden tentpole films to this day are still completed in 2K, which is virtually the same as 1080p. It looked incredible in IMAX 13 years ago and there’s no reason it wouldn’t today.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So what? The overwhelming majority of effects laden tentpole films to this day are still completed in 2K, which is virtually the same as 1080p. It looked incredible in IMAX 13 years ago and there’s no reason it wouldn’t today.

Meh... Don't forget he's Lord Dalek afterall... EGGsterminate!!! EGGGGGSTERrr-minaaaate!!! ;):lol::D

I never got around to seeing this in a theater back during its original run. I'm definitely gonna try at the big IMAX at Lincoln Square this time around -- hopefully, it looks much better than the 4D IMAX Flight of Passage ride at Disneyworld though as I do find that wanting...

_Man_

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Unfortunately I don't see any mentions of this re-release being in 3D which is bad since this is one of the handful of best 3D movies of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks