What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Woah! 9 hours of Avatar 3??? The 3+ hours of Avatar 2's theatrical cut were pushing it a little already (though not quite too much so for me), but 9 hours would seem to be mind-numbingly (and butt-numbingly!) nutz, if true!

No doubt Disney would love to actually put all that on D+ at some point if they're already all pretty much finished and just about ready to upload (after some final polishing touches perhaps), especially if/since they're delaying all the sequels by another year (or more) w/ big gap between 3 and 4/5... but sheesh!

_Man_

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Given that the first act of 4 is shot, I don't understand the four-year gap between 3 and 4, unless Cameron is attempting to do what Kubrick did/planned to do with Super Toys Last All Summer Long, and shoot a little, then wait for his actor(s) to age before shooting the rest.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s because whoever wrote that clickbait article doesn’t know what an assembly cut is. After a film is shot, all of the footage that could possibly be used is strung together so that it can be looked at and evaluated in context/story order, and then it’s edited into a presentable final form. No assembly edit is ever considered as representative of the final film and by definition they run long. It’s a meaningless thing to report.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It cannot be cost-effective to finish visual effects for a 9-hour movie/series that will only be shown on Disney+.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s extremely unlikely to be true. Cameron has prepared extended cuts for many of his films and it wouldn’t surprise me if he did so here, but it wouldn’t be three times longer than the theatrical release.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Yeah, I'm not too bothered by delaying a bunch of Star Wars films still in their gestation phase or shifting some B-tier Marvel films around the playground. This gets my attention, though. That said, an extra year to keep polishing won't be a bad thing. As for 4 and 5, I'll worry about that in a few years if I am still around.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Given that the first act of 4 is shot, I don't understand the four-year gap between 3 and 4, unless Cameron is attempting to do what Kubrick did/planned to do with Super Toys Last All Summer Long, and shoot a little, then wait for his actor(s) to age before shooting the rest.

Surely, the aging CG tech has advanced at least as much as the de-aging counterpart, no? And there will be another few years to go to boot. Besides, these aren't really conventional live-action films anyway, but there's necessarily already so very much extensive/immersive CG and most of the key characters (one might want some growing) aren't human anyway... I guess the only (slightly?) tricky one would be Spider since he's human and the young actor may still have some bit of growing to do (currently) at age 18, but probably not quite that much growing left though, right?

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The reason they already shot the parts of 4 that they did during 2 was so that the young actor who plays Spider would be the proper age for those scenes. There is apparently a time jump happening at some point in the narrative after that.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JIm Cameron says a lot of shit. I'll believe it (and get excited) when there is a teaser trailer.
Yeah, I mean I'm sure he'd like to make 2025 & they'll do their best to hit it but I'm equally sure that he'll have no problem calling up Disney and telling them that it'll be 2026 if he feels the movie needs more time.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Cameron says this will be in theaters Christmas 2025.
Disney already confirmed they are holding December 19, 2025 for it earlier this year when it was moved out of December 2024. So he's towing the party line here. Whether it makes that date remains to be seen.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yeah, I mean I'm sure he'd like to make 2025 & they'll do their best to hit it but I'm equally sure that he'll have no problem calling up Disney and telling them that it'll be 2026 if he feels the movie needs more time.
I agree that Cameron does as he pleases, but Disney has a Star Wars film set for late 2026, so moving the schedule isn't as easy as it might have been. This is one of the dangers of having the Disney and Fox movies under the same roof.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Not to put too fine a point on it...but if Cameron wants Avatar 3 to be Christmas 2026, Disney will move whatever is there.

Including the first Star Wars movie since 2019. Avatar 2 made $2.3B. Rise of Skywalker just under half of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks