What's new

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It’s been said before but watching this at home in 2D in no way compares to the spectacular immersive 3D IMAX presentation. It really needs to be seen that way to truly appreciate its achievements.

Ymmv of course. ;)

Having seen the original Avatar in IMAX 3D I can only imagine, but that ship has sailed in my area. At least the D+ presentation is "IMAX Enhanced."

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
It’s been said before but watching this at home in 2D in no way compares to the spectacular immersive 3D IMAX presentation. It really needs to be seen that way to truly appreciate its achievements.

Ymmv of course. ;)

Agreed!

My wife is not a fan of Avatar, but she only saw it at home, on 2D. I always say to her, you haven't seen it in 3D. She doesn't like watching films in 3D, as it gives her headaches. And she may not change her opinion that much if she did, but that question mark remains.

Now, my sons haven't seen Avatar in 3D either (too young back in 2009), but they watched the sequel with me last December. They thought it was OK to good... long, beautiful, but essentially the same story structure as the original.

To me, the Avatar experience can be broken into these categories:

1. the 3D / visual effects
2. the story
3. the action

1. The 3D is beautifully done, of course. It's meant to provide depth and immersion, but rarely for pop-outs (which, while fun, can be gimmicky). If you're not into 3D anyway, then the impact will be reduced.

The visual effects are spectacular, in terms of how they depict an alien world in all its splendour, whether in the floating mountains, the forests, or the water environments. Again, if you're not usually "wow"-d by what special effects can do, then the impact will be reduced.

2. The story is relatively simple and linear. I can understand the complaints around the simplicity or familiarity (eg. similar to films like Dances with Wolves, etc.) of the plot, but it exists to complement the technical wizardry from 1. above. While there is a message about humans being greedy and destructive in nature, as well as being inconsiderate towards other species, and how the Na'vi are more in tune with their environment, it's not going to inspire the majority of viewers to go and save a forest. But for the purposes of what Cameron is trying to accomplish, the story is good enough.

3. This is where Cameron excels. We know he is a master of action sequences and generating thrills and suspense, with prior films like the Terminators, Aliens and True Lies. The way he builds up the tension in both Avatar films, leading up to the big final battle, is like a masterclass in action filmmaking.

In summary, for me, both films are excellent exercises in immersion, wonder, and spectacular action. They are not the best films Cameron has done (Aliens, Titanic and T2) but one can see why they're the 2 billion grossers they are.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
My mileage does vary. For the last decade I have only watched Avatar in 2D (including the sequel), and I love both movies. I refuse to watch movies in 3D these days. Since I have no way to watch 3D at home, I just don't want to know what I'm missing. I want to avoid the "this was so much better in 3D" disappointment so I just stick to 2D.

When I watched the sequel in theaters, I didn't even think about it not being in 3D. I was engrossed from frame one. The characters, the story, the world, it all worked for me. I just love Cameron's style of filmmaking. I'm sure the 3D was amazing, but I can't miss what I haven't seen.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Finally got a chance to see this now that it's streaming. I really enjoyed it, probably as much as the first one.

(I would have liked to have seen it in 3D, but I can't get anyone to see it that way with me. Oh well).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My mileage does vary. For the last decade I have only watched Avatar in 2D (including the sequel), and I love both movies. I refuse to watch movies in 3D these days. Since I have no way to watch 3D at home, I just don't want to know what I'm missing. I want to avoid the "this was so much better in 3D" disappointment so I just stick to 2D.

I'm the opposite. Because I can't watch 3D at home, I try to make a point of watching it theatrically.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I can watch 3D at home since I have a projector.

I like to have the option of watching in 3D so I’ll try to get the 3D disc along with the 4K UHD disc. But I honestly rarely actually watch anything in 3D. For a movie like this, however, I’ll likely watch it both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks