What's new

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So just got back from seeing Avatar in IMAX 3D and it holds up tremendously. The effects are still amazing after 13 years.

SLIGHT SPOILER MAYBE
There is an added scene at the end. When all the humans are filing past Jake and the Navi, Selfridge (Giovanni Ribisi) stops and says to Jake “You know this isn’t over”. Obviously setting up the sequels. Interesting.

Also surprising no trailer for Way Of The Water.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When all the humans are filing past Jake and the Navi, Selfridge (Giovanni Ribisi) stops and says to Jake “You know this isn’t over”.

Are you sure that wasn’t always there? That sounds familiar to me.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My spouse and I saw Avatar in Cinemark XD 3D today, and it was still impressive visually and emotionally.

The scenes in the middle of the credits for the Way of Water were poignant, and featured a new character and a new Pandoran creature. Cameron and company have taken their cgi to an even more artful level.

A decade in the making, Avatar: The Way of Water is said to have a production cost of about $250 million. That's actually only a modest increase over the first movie, however, and I wonder how accurate that is given that they've been spending money on it for many years now. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the new movie. Cameron isn't afraid to go for big emotions, and I'm expecting more of that in the Way of Water.

The extended edition of the first movie was about three hours long, and I'm guessing we might also have a theatrical and extended release for the new Avatar.

The new final lines for the character Parker Selfridge that have been added to the first Avatar seem to set up an almost Empire Strikes Back feel for the sequel. Hold on to your Pandoran "direhorses," I think it's going to be a wild ride.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By the way it’s apparent that extra scene was deleted and is not one created for this release as the original scene in all three versions you can see Selfridge just about to say something when it cuts to Jake motioning him to move along.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Avatar is still a remarkable theatrical experience in IMAX 3D all these years later, much better of an experience than as a movie. My audience was quite full for a Sunday matinee in IMAX in my area. Unfortunately over half the audience left before the Way of Water footage came on.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For anyone who saw it, does the re-release of Avatar still open with the original 20th Century Fox logo from 2009 or did Disney change it to the newer 20th Century Studios branding?

Disney has an unfortunate habit of updating logos on their older films to match the modern one, so I'm curious if they did that here as well.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
For anyone who saw it, does the re-release of Avatar still open with the original 20th Century Fox logo from 2009 or did Disney change it to the newer 20th Century Studios branding?

Disney has an unfortunate habit of updating logos on their older films to match the modern one, so I'm curious if they did that here as well.
I seem to recall it was changed to the 20th Century Studios branding. The fanfare is still there, the only thing missing was the word Fox. To make up for it, they added that line of Giovanni Ribisi dialogue. Also, they did some extensive--and rather impressive--remastering, upscaling and re-rendering of the 2009 effects, so the movie looks better now than it ever has.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Avatar is still a remarkable theatrical experience in IMAX 3D all these years later, much better of an experience than as a movie. My audience was quite full for a Sunday matinee in IMAX in my area. Unfortunately over half the audience left before the Way of Water footage came on.
I seem to recall it was changed to the 20th Century Studios branding. The fanfare is still there, the only thing missing was the word Fox. To make up for it, they added that line of Giovanni Ribisi dialogue. Also, they did some extensive--and rather impressive--remastering, upscaling and re-rendering of the 2009 effects, so the movie looks better now than it ever has.

Glad to hear. I'll see it at a matinee tomorrow afternoon on the largest IMAX screen in the country/USA for my 1st time seeing it in 3D (or in an actual theater for that matter). Hope it actually looks (much) better than the IMAX 3D for Disney World's Flight of Passage ride -- I find their image a bit too soft/blurry (probably due to the super blown-up size for the ride) and too much ghosting/double-imaging in the 3D. I booked what should be a near perfect single seat for this one, so will have to see...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The fanfare is still there, the only thing missing was the word Fox
Right. Disney still uses the old 20th Century Fox fanfare but has taken the word Fox out of the logo moving forward. I understand the logic of this from a business perspective because Disney doesn't want to be associated with the Fox assets that they didn't absorb, such as the Fox TV network and news channel. But it still looks really weird to me to see "20th Century Studios" and "Searchlight Pictures" instead of "20th Century Fox" and "Fox Searchlight Pictures."

If it were me, I would leave the original Avatar alone because it was originally released by 20th Century Fox. But Disney has a long history of changing out logos on re-releases, so this doesn't surprise me at all. For the Blu-ray release of the original Toy Story, changing the logo also meant removing the film-specific Disney and Pixar logos and the opening section of Randy Newman's score, which was custom for that logo, to replace it with the more modern Disney logo and music. That's the first 13 or so seconds of the first-ever computer animated film that is just lost to time now, and they still did it. So, I'm not surprised this obsession with current branding would impact Avatar as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They may also not have the right to use the old name on new product - and this is a new version of the original film.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So, I'm not surprised this obsession with current branding would impact Avatar as well.

Well, while I also wish the various studios/distributors don't make such changes, probably calling their rebranding efforts an "obsession" isn't quite accurate (or relatable to the average person) since it seems fairly common (and usually/normally, quite sensible) business practice though the movie/film bizz also isn't quite like most any other of course in that there's very extensive creative art and substantial, related historical/documentarian/sentimental value(s) involved. Still, most in the mainstream, NVM the beancounters, do not view/understand such matter (remotely) that way and would probably think/assert we're actually the ones w/ the "obsession" about (preserving) such... :lol:

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks