What's new

Are you sure you want to? (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Why do those who engineer modern automated items assume that the public is not that smart? I think it all started with Microsoft Windows asking "Are you sure you want to�" every time something is deleted or a program closed etc� Here are some others that I run into day after day:

My car chimes when I leave the key in it. I park it in a garage and I always leave the keys in it so I always have to listen to the beeping as I unload stuff. My older car I can pull the keys half way out and I don't hear the chime.

Lawn mowers that cut off the motor if you put it in reverse while the blades are running.

Who still needs instructions with leaving voice mail messages? Why do we have to listen to minutes of instructions each time someone doesn't answer the phone? The dumbest option is the "If you want to page this person" option. If they didn't answer the phone, why would they answer a page?

Then there is Bell telephone co. They play that awful screeching noise before "Were sorry. It is not necessary to dial a 1 or the area code before dialing this number. Please hang up and try again." If the automated computer knows that I don't need the "1" or area code, why doesn't it just ignore it and connect the call anyway?

Why is there Braille writing on drive up ATM keys?

The final straw today was the automatic checkout at Wal-Mart. The overly friendly voice walking me through every step. Then it didn't register my bagging over half the time. If the assistant is needed so frequently, why not just keep the checkout person?

Video games that force you to go through the "training levels" with each new character.

I feel that all items should have either a "I am an idiot" or "I am a know it all" options so we don't have to have our hands held all the time as we go through life.

I feel better now that I have vented. :D I am sure there are more to add to the list. But before you reply to this post, ask yourself "Are you sure you want to reply?"

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Blind person hires a cab for day's errands, which includes the withdrawal of cash. Although the passenger could rely on her cabbie to enter the PIN, it's more secure to just have braille.

I assume that the cab pulls up to allign the ATM with the rear passenger window.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I accidentally erased a DVD on my computer by clicking the wrong thing, it was something I got from a friend that I can't get back- I was getting ready to transfer it to a permanent disc but messed up and now it's gone. If it had given me the "Are you sure" option I could have saved it. For things of that magnitude it's better to be overly cautious.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
We have this CD/DVD duplicating machine at work. It's all automated, but since there is only one tray to put in either CD's or DVD's, you have to set the preferences to tell it what type of media is in the tray.

Now, whenever I go to dub a disc, the machine makes this really loud noise and this pop-up screen that says "Put master disc in tray" (so the machine can start dubbing it) - It's annoying because it's like "DUH! I know I have to do that, you idiot!!!"

BUT! If I don't have the preferences set up to the proper disc media (i.e. if I'm dubbing a CD and the prefs are set to DVD), the machine just sits there and does NOTHING! It KNOWS that the original disc is not the same as what's set in the prefs, but it just sits there and doesn't warn me.

It's SO damn annoying because it will warn me about the no brainer stuff, but it's of NO use when there is a REAL problem. :angry:

WTF????

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Arrrg!
Right after I posted this thread, My wife comes into the room ready for shopping. She asks "Do I look alright?" I tell her she looks fine for shopping. Then she asked "Are you sure I look OK?" :frowning:

I only have a riding mower. That would definitely be good exercise pushing & pulling that around the yard! :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

This is a huge peeve of mine, people who ask you the same question repeatedly as if you must have answered incorrectly the first time (or two times):

Do you want to go to the store with me?
No.

Are you sure you don't want to go with me?
Yes, I'm sure.

Last chance if you want to come with me to the store?
NO I DON'T WANT TO GO TO THE DAMN STORE WITH YOU!! ARE YOU DEAF AND DUMB OR WHAT?!?! GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT! :angry:

Why can't people just accept your first response and leave it alone? No, they'd rather keep pushing and pushing until you fly off the handle in frustration and hurt their feelings which is then all YOUR fault.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Then we went out shopping and pulled into a fast food place to get a milkshake. I drive up to place my order. The voice says " Welcome. Would you like to try deluxe burger combo?" Why are they asking that (besides they are told to)? If I originally wanted the deluxe burger I would be ordering it anyway. If I had plan to order something else, do they think I will change my mind? :crazy:

Are you still sure that you want to post a reply?

Dave

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh my GOD! I HATE that! The only reason I try not to strangle them is that I know they are being forced into it.

At the grocery store, not only does each register have the 'special' item laid out with a GIANT sign that tells you of the special deal, then the cashier is forced into trying to get you to buy it. ENOUGH! I don't need a sales pitch when I am grocery shopping! It's a miserable enough experience without some kid being forced into telling me about something I don't want.

Stop waisting my (and your) time!

I don't want to sign up for your stupid credit card
I don't want fries with that
I don't want the next size up for "a few cents more"
I don't want the specialty item of the month

etc.

Like Dave said, if I want it, I'll order it!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Why? Is everything else on the menu sold out?

This is like when you call a store and instead of "Video Giant, this is Jane," you get a 2-minute sales pitch about the latest releases on DVD or whatever monthly rental scam they're running.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I'd assume it's more to do with it being a "standard" ATM that comes with Braille keys, and it isn't cost effective to specially build ATMs without just for the few drive-up ATMs? And also, as already pointed out, a blind person could be a passenger in the car and use the ATM as well.

Relating to that "accidentally erased a DVD" story, to go one step further, the problem sometimes is precisely because we're so frustrated with the unnecessary warnings, the few times we actually do make a mistake, we ignore the warnings and go ahead -- sort-of like the boy who cried wolf, really.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I agree with that to an extent. That is why there should be "I am an idiot" or "I am a know it all" options.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
damn, dave. a lot of stuff really bothers you. i'm sure you would've killed yourself by now if you could've found a gun without a safety switch. i mean, really. who needs a safety switch. if i'm pointing the gun, i want to shoot it.

kevin t

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - I love giving responses like that, but again, since my anger really isn't with the employee (being forced into it), I try to hold back.

I love when a cute female clerk asks me for my phone number (for their mailing list). I'll sometimes respond "But I don't even know you!!!" :D

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
if i think the girl will respond well to a joke, i usually say "oh, i have a girlfriend, she wouldn't be too happy about that", and when she explains it's only for a mailing list or something else, i tell her she doesn't have to say that, and that i understand :)

CJ

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
When asked for my phone I have blushed and said "Thanks for asking, but I am married" :wink: Or I say "Sure, can I have yours!"

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks