What's new

Can Someone Tell me Why Chico and the Man is MIA? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Has Owen Marshall been syndicated anywhere since the very early 1980's?
It was never syndicated. Its only run in the U.S., AFAIK, was in the early on 90s on the WWOR national feed where due to syndex rules they had to black out shows which were in syndication are replace them with other series. Other shows they ran were Captain Nice, Hot off the Wire, Baretta, Fibber McGee and Molly and a bunch more.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
We could all put together lists of shows which had successful runs that are nowhere to be found anymore. December Bride, Farmers Daughter, Baretta, Owen Marshall, Moonlighting, etc.
Moonlighting suffers from a problem identical to "Chico" only in this case it's unwatchable final two seasons instead of just one (it is the only show I have ever bought where I refused to own the entire run). Not to mention the fact that so many episodes are loaded with inside-joke references to the show's production difficulties at the time that were hilarious to those of us who watched the show when it first ran but which would thoroughly baffle people who didn't experience the show then.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Found this streaming on tubi. Looks like they have all 4 seasons. It says the episodes are 24 minutes. I've only watched the pilot episode so far. I need to watch more to really comment on the picture quality, but it seemed pretty decent.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Found this streaming on tubi. Looks like they have all 4 seasons. It says the episodes are 24 minutes. I've only watched the pilot episode so far. I need to watch more to really comment on the picture quality, but it seemed pretty decent.
This is AWESOME news!! Thank you so much, Scott, from the person who started this post!!! I haven't had a chance to watch these episodes on Tubi, but I'm sure the picture quality and running times will be better than the TV recordings I've seen so far on youtube.

1703006421008.png

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I watched episode 8, "The Veterans" last night, and it had a running time of 25:45. I spot checked a few more episodes from all four seasons, and they average between 24 and 25 minutes. Picture quality is normal for this type of series taped on video in the 1970s, and probably as good as gets.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Moonlighting suffers from a problem identical to "Chico" only in this case it's unwatchable final two seasons instead of just one (it is the only show I have ever bought where I refused to own the entire run). Not to mention the fact that so many episodes are loaded with inside-joke references to the show's production difficulties at the time that were hilarious to those of us who watched the show when it first ran but which would thoroughly baffle people who didn't experience the show then.

Moonlighting is streaming now on Hulu. All five seasons. You can also purchase digital downloads on Google Play.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to remember now but I thinks its Tubi that started copyguarding all of its shows so you can't record them.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
With Moonlighting streaming, the question is whether the episode "Lady In The Iron Mask" has its score from the original broadcast restored, which included the musical gag of "The William Tell Overture" in its climactic chase scene. The DVD release erroneously used the score originally written for the episode that was rejected (it was not a case of music replacement as we traditionally know it).

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I'm trying to remember now but I thinks its Tubi that started copyguarding all of its shows so you can't record them.
I'm fine with just watching Chico and the Man on Tubi. I don't have the urge anymore to record or own every single episode of every TV series that I'm slightly interested in. I already have dozens of DVD sets I purchased over ten years ago collecting dust on my bookshelf, that I haven't finished watching, and dozens more VHS tapes of things I've recorded decades ago that I haven't watched in years. There's just not enough time or space in my life. I really only have about ten favorite TV shows I can't get enough of that I watch over and over again. I started selling the rest on ebay.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
With Moonlighting streaming, the question is whether the episode "Lady In The Iron Mask" has its score from the original broadcast restored, which included the musical gag of "The William Tell Overture" in its climactic chase scene. The DVD release erroneously used the score originally written for the episode that was rejected (it was not a case of music replacement as we traditionally know it).
I would love to know the answer to that question as well. I don't get Hulu.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Good to know that Chico And The Man has surfaced on the Tubi website. If it's popular and has enough viewers maybe a DVD release is still possible?

Blue Goose

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I would love to know the answer to that question as well. I don't get Hulu.
The correct score has been restored for "The Lady in the Iron Mask".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks