ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Aaaah!

Just looked that up:

IEEE 802.11ax-2021 or 802.11ax is an IEEE standard for wireless local-area networks (WLANs) and the successor of 802.11ac. It is marketed as Wi-Fi 6 (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and Wi-Fi 6E (6 GHz) by the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Why can't those f-ers just put WiFi 6E in the technical specs so idiots like me can understand what the F they are talking about.

I stand corrected. Cool! These devices are all future-proof

I was not previously aware of 6E either, but from that description, it would be good to have both -- 6E more for futureproofing to be used at a likely much less cluttered/noise-filled freq band due to all the other tech stuff that use or interfere w/ 2.4 and 5Ghz.

I might buy a new router sometime this year, and guess I better make sure it does 6E, not just plain 6. Don't know if plain 6 helps an ATV4K all that much over the old 5/802.11ac though -- not like even (current) 4K/DV/Atmos streaming (via the higher bitrate services) pushes the limits of 802.11ac at all... unless you're running more than 1/2 a dozen of them simultaneously over the same wifi network fed by a true gigabit broadband access perhaps... :P

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was not previously aware of 6E either, but from that description, it would be good to have both -- 6E more for futureproofing to be used at a likely much less cluttered/noise-filled freq band due to all the other tech stuff that use or interfere w/ 2.4 and 5Ghz.

I might buy a new router sometime this year, and guess I better make sure it does 6E, not just plain 6. Don't know if plain 6 helps an ATV4K all that much over the old 5/802.11ac though -- not like even 4K/DV/Atmos streaming pushes the limits of 802.11ac at all... unless you're running more than 1/2 a dozen of them simultaneously over the same wifi network fed by a true gigabit broadband access perhaps... :P

_Man_

I could have upgraded my Eero mesh system this past year to WiFi 6, but knowing 6E was another few months away, I waited.

I suspect that we will see mesh systems from Eero, Google, Amplifi, Linksys (and others) going into Q4.

As for routers, there are already a few currently available.

I am just happy that Apple saw the writing on the wall and future-proofed their new devices. I was pretty pissed off until Sam told me what 802.11ax was.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I could have upgraded my Eero mesh system this past year to WiFi 6, but knowing 6E was another few months away, I waited.

I suspect that we will see mesh systems from Eero, Google, Amplifi, Linksys (and others) going into Q4.

As for routers, there are already a few currently available.

I am just happy that Apple saw the writing on the wall and future-proofed their new devices. I was pretty pissed off until Sam told me what 802.11ax was.

Think only my current, year-plus-old, DIY Windoze PC build is even wifi-6 capable so far -- I chose the more expensive ASRock mobo (for AMD Ryzen cpu) partly for that reason even though I wasn't expecting to upgrade my router anytime soon back then. It's not 6E though -- don't recall 6E being expected at the time back around Dec 2019...

I guess the new ATV4K will be my next wifi-6 device/machine... possibly followed by a new router...

Correction: Since I don't currently have access to a wifi-6 network, forgot my iPhone 11 is apparently also wifi-6 capable, so there's that as well...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Think only my current, year-plus-old, DIY Windoze PC build is even wifi-6 capable -- I chose the more expensive ASRock mobo (for AMD Ryzen cpu) partly for that reason even though I wasn't expecting to upgrade my router anytime soon back then. It's not 6E though -- don't recall 6E being expected at the time back around Dec 2019...

_Man_

No, I only started hearing about 6E last Summer right before Eero made their product release. I wrote an email to their support team inquiring why they didn't include the spec in their newly announced mesh units. They never answered.

I suspect these products go into production months in advance and 6E was just becoming a "buzz word" by the time their mesh units were announced.

The good news is that we should see lots of 6E products by year's end and there's currently no "buzz word" on emerging technology that is going to replace that in another year (or none that I have heard of).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quickly went over Apple’s product pages; no time to watch the event. Quick thoughts:
  1. AppleTV 4k: will buy two later this year.
  2. Airtags: if I were traveling I’d buy the 4-pack to toss in luggage and carry-on. But I’m not so these are not things I need
  3. iPad Pro: nice update, amazed by lower pricing than I expected. No regrets over buying Air last Fall.
  4. iMac 24”. As expected, no 30” yet. Hoping those are this Summer and not this Winter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
More more details

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks