What's new

Apple UNLEASHED October 18th Event (official discussion thread) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
433E07EB-5FFB-4264-8BF8-EC1CBA822AE6.jpeg

Per 9to5Mac...

Apple today has officially confirmed its highly-anticipated October event. The event will take place on Monday, October 18 and will be broadcast live from Apple Park. Apple is teasing the vent with the tagline “Unleashed.,” which is likely a hint at the new M1X MacBooks that are rumored to be coming.

Apple’s October 18 event will be held at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET. This marks the second year in a row that Apple has held its annual September event completely virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The October 18 event will be live-streamed across Apple’s website, on the company’s YouTube channel, and via the Apple TV application on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. We’ll have more details on how to watch when event day itself rolls around.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Really hoping we can custom order the new models right after the event. I think, generally, that happens with hardware announcements like this.

That would potentially mean a new MacBook Pro in my hands by the end of October. Oh, Glory!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just logged in to make sure Ron was all over this. Wasn't disappointed.

Onward!

Alright, that kind of made me laugh.

Of course, I am psyched! I sold my 2019 MBP a few months back and have been solely using an iPad.

And, as I have expressed quite a few times, I am amazed at how much I have been able to do on this iPad. In the past three months, I have learned quite a bit about iOS, file copying, saving files to PDF, and just doing all the things I used to do on my MacBook Pro. There were of course some extensive workarounds to doing some things, but not hard to figure out.

Just looking forward to being back on OS X with a powerful MacBook Pro I can use on my lap (without burning it - thanks Intel) and being able to connect it to my ultra-wide monitor.

Just bought the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID in anticipation of using the MBP on my desktop. I hope Apple doesn't decide to announce a Space Grey version next week. Doubtful, but these things tend to happen after a purchase.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm loving the speed, coolness and portability of my M1 13" MBP. I have never lacked for power.

The one thing I do note, and I've noted this from the beginning, is in the rare instances I fire up my 16" MBP...I do realize how superior the speakers are on that machine, and of course the larger screen real estate is really a plus...but it comes at the cost of size and weight.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm loving the speed, coolness and portability of my M1 13" MBP. I have never lacked for power.

The one thing I do note, and I've noted this from the beginning, is in the rare instances I fire up my 16" MBP...I do realize how superior the speakers are on that machine, and of course the larger screen real estate is really a plus...but it comes at the cost of size and weight.

I can relate. Having this 12.9 inch iPad with Magic Keyboard on my lap is a slice of heaven compared to the 16" MBP I used to own.

It is a considerable difference in weight.

The one thing I am looking forward to with the new 16" MBP is the lack of heat coming from its bottom and burning my legs. I am anticipating that this laptop will run considerably cooler.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I got the baseline 13" M1 MacBook Pro last year, I've never lacked for what I use it 4, but I do have to use a dongle for a blu ray drive and sd card, plus I really want the 16gb version, just trying to decide if I want to go larger with the 16"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I got the baseline 13" M1 MacBook Pro last year, I've never lacked for what I use it 4, but I do have to use a dongle for a blu ray drive and sd card, plus I really want the 16gb version, just trying to decide if I want to go larger with the 16"

Dave,

The 16" will be considerably larger and heavier. There are rumored reports that this may be a somewhat weighty laptop.

On the other hand, depending on what you do, the added real estate you get with the screen will be welcomed.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Dave,

The 16" will be considerably larger and heavier. There are rumored reports that this may be a somewhat weighty laptop.

On the other hand, depending on what you do, the added real estate you get with the screen will be welcomed.

They both gained weight.

The 3.5 pound 14" MBP replaces 13" Intel-based models that weighed 3.1 pounds.

The 4.7 to 4.8 pound 16" MBP replaces 16" Intel-based models that weighed 4.3 pounds.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I really don't need a better computer, but I'm still anxious to see what comes along in the Mac Mini line with M1Pro/X

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I wonder how much of that gain is just the battery

The 16" Apple Silicon and Intel notebooks both have 100-watt-hour batteries. The chargers are higher-capacity (they went from 96 watts to 140 watts), but presumably don't count towards the stated weight. Thus the battery doesn't appear to explain the weight increase.

The 14" Apple Silicon rMBPs have 70-watt-hour batteries. High-end 13" Intel-based rMBPs have 58-watt-hour batteries. So there, some of the weight gain could be from the battery.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The 16" Apple Silicon and Intel notebooks both have 100-watt-hour batteries. The chargers are higher-capacity (they went from 96 watts to 140 watts), but presumably don't count towards the stated weight. Thus the battery doesn't appear to explain the weight increase.

The 14" Apple Silicon rMBPs have 70-watt-hour batteries. High-end 13" Intel-based rMBPs have 58-watt-hour batteries. So there, some of the weight gain could be from the battery.
They're effectively using the same battery to electronics ratio found in tablets and phones. This is possible because less space is used on thermal management. As a result, the density of the machine goes up.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I’d had two 13” MBPs over the years and switched last year to the 14”. The screen even though 1” diff appears considerably larger as it goes almost to the edge with basically minimal a black border and I couldn’t be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks