What's new

Anyone know the story behind the name change of Dolph Lundgren's "I Come In Peace"? (1 Viewer)

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
I know, I know... it's not a cinematic masterpiece.
But my brother told me that last night on cable he watched a film called "Dark Angel". He said it was "I Come In Peace" but with one difference: Before the alien kills, he says, "I Come In Peace". That line is removed from all of the alien's kill scenes.
Anyone know the story behind the name change and the edits?

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I believe that was the original title of the movie, I have an old cinefantastique with a behind the scenes story of "Dark Angel" perhaps they are trying to fool fans of the Jessica Alba tv show into watching.;)

On a side note this film has one of the greatest lines ever in a movie. At the end of the movie the big alien guy holds Dolph in submission about to deliver a death blow and says, "I win!" To which Dolph replies, "F@#k you SpaceMan!" and shoves something in the aliens neck.;)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I vaguely remember seeing this, but AFAIK it's always been called Dark Angel. The trailers had Dolph's punchline, in response to the alien's "I come in peace", he'd respond and you go in pieces
(assuming anyone really wants this to be spoilerized :D )

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
My God, that means they cut the immortal line "But you go in pieces!"

Travesty. The IMDB still lists it under that title with 'Dark Angel' as the alternate. No explanation as to why.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
wtf??! This is my favorite Dolph Lundgren film! :D (High praise indeed!) :D

I really want to know why this has happened. dark Angel?? WTF??! :angry:

-Dennis

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I've been a fan of this film for a very long time.

When it was in theaters (at least USA) it was "I Come in Peace". I remember the trailers on TV. I didn't see it until it was on VHS, still under "I Come in Peace."

Years later, maybe 5-7 years ago, I purchased my own copy on widescreen VHS. This was a newly mastered version. Though still titled "I Come in Peace" on the box and VHS label the title "Dark Angel" was on the film itself. Somewhere it was explained that this was the title on the print they used to master it. It was in the best condition so it had what presumably was an older title.

All versions I've seen have the alien saying "I Come in Peace" before his kills. So that line being removed at all, especially at the finale (which would be incredibly stupid) is totally new news to me.

That being said, I really want this movie on DVD. Hopefully they can digitally put the proper ICIP title back on it.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Oh, and the actual response is "You go in pieces, asshole!"

Dolph was of course edited down to "You go in pieces" for the TV trailers.

What a great movie.

Stacey A

Auditioning
Just a heads up. This will be showing this Saturday on Monsters HD. It's a high definition horror channel offered on the new Voom DBS service. I'm a fan also and I'll let you know how the high definition transfer is.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I was wondering the same thing! I keep seeing the flick on one of the Showtime channels and everytime I wonder why there was the name change. This was one my my childhood "classics" :)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
This was called "Dark Angel" in Europe and opened up there in 1990 before it was released in the US as "I Come In Peace." I remember renting it on video in Scotland when I was in school there in 1991, never having heard of it before (as it hadn't been released in the States yet).

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
As long as dialogue (or anything else) is not edited out of the film, I don't care...but the title "Dark Angel" really doesn't make any sense at all. No wonder they changed it for the US release.

-Dennis

StevenFC

Second Unit
Hey, I used to work with a guy that was an extra on that movie. Big deal eh?;)

Anyway, I remember that last line as being :

"Then go in pieces"

I'd like to see that movie again. It's one of those guilty pleasures I guess.

Stacey A

Auditioning
Just watched the HD transfer. Some grain in very dark scenes, but otherwise very good picture quality. It was the uncut theatrical release with all dialog intact with a 5.1 dolby digital soundtrack.

It's also a guilty pleasure of mine. Just a fun action movie with some great lines and humor.

So do they actually ever explain where he was for those missing 8 days. I guess we are to assume it has to do with the stakeout in the beginning, but it's never specified.

It's repeating again at 8:45pm tonight on Monster HD.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
maybe for the same reason WB felt compelled to airbrush out Amanda Bynes flashing a "peace" sign on the posters of her recent movie-

maybe any use of the phrase "Peace" is now somehow seen as anti-American or too liberal-hollywood, and consequently as bad business, as it could turn off the crowd that would be a hooting and hollerin' for this kind of material.

Parris

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite part of that movie is when the mob boss sends Dolph a picture of him from South America where he is surrounded by naked women and he is in the middle cheesing like no other :D

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I love the part where the alien is chasing on foot while Dolph and his Girl are fleeing from him in a car.

Girl "who is that guy?"

Dolph "Some asshole from outer space." Dead-pan delivery.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
This is fondly remembered as one of the favorites from our regular High Body Count Nights, where it was generally referred to as "I Come in Peace, Yeah, Sure." ;) Did not disappoint in the HBC sweepstakes either, as I recall. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Somewhere, I have an original preview press kit containing upcoming releases from that year for the studio that made and/or released I Come In Peace, and it was definitely slated to be released in North America as Dark Angel, which at the time I thought as a pretty cool title since the bad alien guy was kind of like a messenger of death. I'd have to dig it out, but I think it was Triumph Releasing (which might have been tied to Columbia Tri-Star). The kit has a couple of photos for each film on the sked (I think the Rob Lowe thriller Bad Influence is in this kit) and the ones for this film are definitely tagged as Dark Angel.

Craig Baxley was a great exploitation action director. Too bad the excellent STONE COLD tanked at the B.O. and sent him packing to TV-movieland.

I seem to recall Lance Henriksen line from STONE COLD giving be a cheap laugh, to paraphrase:

"You know, at times like these I'm reminded of my daddy's last words: "Don't, son, that gun is loaded!" "

Classic stuff.

By the way, I think Anchor Bay or some such company DID release I Come In Peace on DVD. I seem to recall it's somewhere in my collection, but that damn thing's so big, I'll have to check for it tonight.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Brian, STONE COLD is awesome-- one of my all-time favorites. Craig Baxley now does a lot of the Stephen King TV miniseries; not a bad gig for someone who used to be a stuntman!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks