What's new

Any MBA Graduates??? (1 Viewer)

Brandon_S

Second Unit
I don't know what is wrong with me, but after being out of school for only 6 months, I am having the itch to go back. I graduated in July with a bachelors degree in Business Management from the University of Kentucky.

I am now employeed by the university as an IT Development Associate. I like my job but often times it doesn't challenge me. A very nice perk about working here is that the university will pay for me to get my MBA. I can take up to 6 hours a semester and all I will have to pay for are the text books. What's even better is that we are allowed to take 3 of those hours during normal working hours (as long as we make up our time somewhere else). Not a bad deal at all...

I guess my question is how many of you have MBA degrees? How was the experience? It looks like they are much more flexible with your course diversity at the graduate level. Also, how was the GMAT? Any pointers there??

Any input/discussion would be greatly appreciated :).

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I am finishing my first semester in an MBA program. I am thoroughly enjoying it. I find the classes to be significantly more interesting and challenging then my undergrad and I feel closer to my classmates because I think we have more in common than I had with undergrad classmates (I haven't spent all my time at college drinking and skipping class like so many of my undergrad classmates).

Anyway, I think it's a great idea if the thought of an MBA interests you and you're willing to take on the extra work. The GMAT is not too bad at all. I started with GMAT For Dummies. It was actually a pretty good read, very entertaining, and it helped me brush up on some lost math and verbal skills. BUT, you'll need a more advanced book too unless you feel very comfortable with all the material. Note that the GMAT is all on a computer now, so that may be a new experience for you (I was highly annoyed by having to listen to so many people type around me as I tried to take the test).

Also, the GMAT has a fairly new writing section on it. Some schools look at it, some do not. It's about 50/50 really. Check with your admissions dept to see if they consider that section at all. Mine did not, so I did not study for it at all.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Brandon, if you have the time, the money and the inclination then do it. I started working on my MBA a year after finishing undergrad. Since I was an undergrad engineering major I really enjoyed the MBA classes, the interaction with others, the group projects, etc. I did it part-time over the course of a number of years. I wasn't in a rush and at that time was just starting out in my technical career. I found it helpful to have some industry background as I worked towards my degree. I think you'll enjoy it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm on my second semester as an MBA student so I can't be much help, but I can say it's nice to be able to defer your undergrad student loans

I would like to hear more about how it's advanced people's careers, if any. My undergrad degree is pretty specialized and not worth much in this climate I'm afraid. I'm hoping that with an MBA will open some career doors in my chosen field while not exactly what I wanted to do initially..

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
I guess my question is how many of you have MBA degrees?
I do

How was the experience?
I really enjoyed it. I learned a lot. I made a number of friends on both the personal and business levels. I had a great time in Chicago.

It looks like they are much more flexible with your course diversity at the graduate level.
Some business schools are much more flexible than others:
At Harvard your entire 1st year is set.
At Chicago you have to take at least a course in a number of different departments, but the actual course isn't mandated.

Also, how was the GMAT? Any pointers there??
I took the GMAT in 1990 or 1991, so I'm not of much help there. I was still in college at the time, so a lot of the info was still fresh in my head. I'd be inclined to take the GMAT sooner rather than later if you've covered some of the material as an undergrad.

You have the itch to go, you don't have to quit your job, and your employer will pay for it. What's the downside to starting the program?

I think you need to think about what you want to do after you get your MBA. If you want to work at an investment bank, as a management consultant or at one of the big brand management companies, than you NEED an MBA. If you want to get a managerial job in IT, I would think you'll need to get a few years of work experience under your belt in addition to the degree.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, I can't say much about MBA programss, but I wanted to mention that my wife has 3 sessions left in her final class of her final quarter in the MBA program. I'm excited and very proud of her for taking two years of night classes while working fulltime to get it done. It meant a lot of extra house work for me, but I think it'll all be worth it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
There's not really much I can say about the GMAT, it sucks, it's expensive. Suggest taking a kaplan or similar prep course, if I could give you advice on how to best take it I'd be a weathy man ;)

I took it a year ago, the computerized adaptive test. It's interesting, that's really all I can say about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks