What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any hope of an 'Outland' re-issue? (1 Viewer)

Jeannette Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I have the R2 version. While it is anamorphic the picture still sux. Not sure if it's as bad as the R1 (haven't seen it)

A brand new restored version is needed definately.

Real Name
Anthony
It's not so bad, Jeanette. About what you'd expect for one of the first WB DVDs - on a par with BLADE RUNNER's transfer. Not up to today's standards but with no really obvious glitches and surprisingly little artefacting in the darker scenes.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

YIKES!
i was thinking about springing for the R2 version, but that clinched it.
BR , while it may have been 16:9 enhanced, was unwatchable on my fp.
i turned it off after about 10 minutes and promptly sold it.

i really hope WB gets around to this title within the next 12 months.
i saw it again in the racks a few days ago and thought back to this thread, and then started to replay scenes from it in my head.

i do miss not being able to watch it properly.

Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I should say that I don't use a projector - I'm still watching on fairly modest widescreen TV.
I'd say there was less grain on the OUTLAND disc but I've no idea how it would look projected.

Todd McF

Second Unit
It really comes down to the probability of a re-release. I watched BladeRunner on my projector out of desperation for seeing the movie. It looked like hell but it was still BladeRunner and I got into it.

I *need* Outland. The more we discuss it the more I need it. I'm well aware its not the greatest movie ever made - I think I was 12 when I first saw it on VHS and thought it was mediocre at best. The draw is bacause of the Alien set ripoffs. The film has that Alien atmosphere.

I think I'll order it anyway.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Now that I've got a projector it's really sad as DVDs like outland are virtually unwatchable (while DVDs like Alien look virtually like film).

count me in for a vote for a new 16x9 HD-downconverted DVD.

I just got my region free player and got the Dune SE from the UK. Wonderful. But if the R2 Outland is still sub-par I might hold off...

-dave

Todd McF

Second Unit
David - have you tried Dune SE? What did you think? I thought the picture was a little soft, otherwise pristine. No LFE to speak of, otherwise active.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Todd (are you Todd from AVS)?

Yep, I'd say exactly the same thing. A soft image but one that's generally pleasing and with better color than the R1 version though I haven't given the audio a big work-out yet.

Leaving everything at 60Hz on the momitsu v880 I notice NO motion artifacts even during pans. WONDERFUL!!!

dave :)

Todd McF

Second Unit
The same from AVS.

Glad to see you had success with Dune SE. Its probably the best we will ever see it.

If you want to see something funny - try BladeRunner! Well, not exactly *funny* .....

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Todd,

so, the R2 Bladerunner is a shame? Bummer...I had wondered if another region had a better version :frowning:

Oh...the R2 Pride and Prejudice BLOWS THE PANTS off the R1 version. It's still an objectively poor picture...but nowhere NEAR as bad as the !@#$& they gave us on the R1 DVD!!!

I can now actually "watch" it on the PJ which I could NOT due with the R1.

-dave

Todd McF

Second Unit
I can't vouch for the R2 BladeRunner. I was talking about the R1. Blow it up to 100" and you'll wish you were in the replicant's eye replacement shop in the movie.

Rumour is however, that the disappearance of R2 BladeRunner on shelves indicates a new release for R2 PAL. Theory is that the legal issues domestically are not a constraint in the UK. Hmmm....

In other News....

Don't know if you care about CONAN, but I just found out that the R2/4 Conan has a better pic quality and *5.1* (R1 is mono).

I also just bought R3 Hero (Jet Li). Really, really amazing and its NTSC.

Boy the Momitsu is Magic!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Outland used the same transfer as the LD, which also looks pretty bad. I'd be up for a properly retransfered version.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've never purchased the Outland DVD for the reasons mentioned above. But I'd happily buy a copy if and when the flick gets a fresh transfer. I think Outland is a damn fine movie, and one of the more clever approaches as far as remakes are concerned.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Is this really anamorphic? I find it hard to believe. I've fiddled around with the aspect ratio's of my iScan Ultra and I can't make any sense of it. When left to play through as a normal 16:9 dvd of whatever aspect ratio (1.78:1 to 2.40:1) the disc DOES NOT appear anamorphic AT ALL. The only way to make it look proper is to squeeze the horizontal of the supposed "widescreen" side which results in 4:3, I don't know if its pan & scan or Full frame, or stretch the supposed "4:3" side, or conversely, shrink it horizontally. This disc makes no sense. The film actually starts out with black bar mattes top and bottom. I'm going to return it or mail it to Warner Brothers if the store won't take it back, since I don't know if I can find the receipt and its been so long and now I can't even remember.

So this is a falsely advertised anamorphic 16:9 DVD? Right? It is not "enhanced for widescreen TV's" as it says on the case. That was a crucial part of my decision to buy it.

Is there a proper anamorphic release in another region?

AndyWT

Auditioning
My R4 PAL Australian copy is anamorphic and doesn't look too bad.

The aspect ratio of the R4 PAL version is 2.46:1.

This was calculated by first converting to square pixel by using the pixel aspect ratio of 4258/1035 (SMPTE RP-187)

720x576

720 x (4528/3105)=
720 x (1.4582930756843800322061191626409) =

So, square pixel PAL is 1050x576.

I then measured the active area of the picture in photoshop which is 1049x426.

1049 / 426 =

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
I really want an Outland SE. I've avoided the current release like the plague.

I'd love to see an anamorphic widescreen version of the movie with a Hyams commentary track. Outland is easily the best Hyams movie and I always thought it was near perfectly directed.

The sets and lighting looked great though the model work looks a little rough now a days. Some making of materials would be excellent, more than anything I'd love to see some production sketches for the film.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Yes, the current DVD is falsely labeled as "enhanced for widescreen" when it is in reality just a 4x3 lbxed transfer...and happens to be one of the world's worst 4x3 lbxed transfers at that...really, REALLY bad. It was so bad it gives me a headache when I try to watch it on my projector...pure garbage...and such a great movie too.

-dave

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Outland and Blade Runner are both, movies I have not purchased due to quality issues but would love to have - and will - when given thier just treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks