1. The current DVD is truly horrific (laced with video noise, shimmer, and a bogus 16x9 feature listing).

I bought a used copy once and forced the vendor to take it back based on the lack of advertised 16x9.

I love the movie but couldn't bring myself to watch the DVD even while I had it.

Any hope of an 'Outland' re-issue?

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

One of the worst transfers of a film on DVD by any major studio. I also returned my copy when I bought it a few years ago...a travesty.

I've heard nothing of re-release but this cries out for one.

3. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

I hope Warner sees the light on this one, too. By far the worst DVD I've ever owned. The picture jumped up and down so much it gave me motion sickness. Really a pathetic transfer of a great movie. [​IMG]

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i remember how excited i was when i found out this was going to get a letterboxed release on Ld.

now, i always look at this one wistfully when i'm going thru the racks at the store.
    sold off the LD years ago, & i would love to see it again. i've been tempted to buy it many times, but comments like the ones above have scared me off.
    i've heard nothing but bad things about the quality of this one, and agree that warner should revisit it.

i was tempted to put this down in the 2 disc survey thread that recently got bumped back to the front page, but by now there really haven't been enough other people suggesting it, and while i like the film , i don't think it really merits 2 disc SE consideration.

just a new, watchable copy is all i want.

5. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    What a coincidence - I just watched this last night.

For any of you that are multi-region compatible, the R2 UK isn't bad at all and the 5.1 soundtrack sounds pretty good.

It's not exactly a great film but it's not half bad either, with a score that sounds like out-takes from ALIEN (that's a compliment, btw). I've got fond memories of it from the days when science-fiction films (which it isn't really) were few on the ground.

Anyone remember the Movie Novel of it ? There was one for ALIEN and POPEYE too. It was the nearest you could get to owning a copy, pre-VHS.

That said, this is just the kind of film that - to everyone's surprise - gets a special edition. Who would've expected SEs of COPLAND or FLIRTING WITH DISASTER ?

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i still have the one for Alien.
    i forgot they put one out for Outland.
    i remember the pocket sized ones for Grease, Close Encounters, Love At First Bite, among others.

these youngsters to day have it too good.
    in fact, remembering back to those days almost makes me appreciate even a bad transfer [​IMG]

7. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Yeah, those were fotonovels. There were a few STAR TREK ones and some pretty strange films were chosen. There was one for THE CHAMP ! There was also INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978), NIGHTBREED and STAR TREK : THE MOTION PICTURE.

I thought they'd disappeared but I saw one not so long ago for THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. Which is about the stupidest choice for a fotonovel that I can imagine.

Sorry to threadfart - just got nostalgic. [​IMG]

8. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I asked about this at the first Warner Bros. chat YEARS ago. They said no plans. I wanted to ask about it again this year (along with a list of questions that I wish were asked that seems to grow exponentially each week) but could never seem to get a "YO" through in time.

Agreed, the current DVD sucks (that is putting it kindly), but a great movie I would buy again. When did it come out? '81 or '82, I believe. Maybe a 25th anniversary edition...

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

'81 ( i stayed and saw it after a sneak preview for a film called Raiders Of The Lost Ark).

they said they were going to give Body Heat a 25th anniversary revisit- so maybe its not out of the question (but that would still put it 2 yrs away)

10. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Worst

transfer

ever

maybe [thinking of the original Scarface DVD]

I'd pick up an upgraded DVD if it comes around.

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Yeah, I have been asking for a better transfer for this since 1997......can you believe that the pan&scan side actually has a better picture by comparison?

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Come on Warners, just a basic disc with a trailer and...a commentary track or mini featurette to justify the re-release.

12. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

I think about this movie all the time. It was on the Sci-fi channel about a month ago at 1AM so I only caught a few minutes of it.

I love that it seems like they literally stole the Alien set for this movie. I remember seeing this thing when I was 10 or so. Brings back memories.

The Region 2 release is NON-ANAMORPHIC! What a bummer. Keep waiting I guess. I'm surprised this movie hasnt been re-released yet. With all the old crap being released these days, this ommission is very surprising....

13. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    No - the R2 UK is anamorphic. Like I said, it's a pretty good transfer with none of the problems you've mentioned about the R1.

14. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

I do stand corrected. Hmmm... I think I'll pick this one up after all.

15. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Thanks for the info on the region 2 Anthony. Can pick it up pretty cheap too!

16. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

I can't seem to verify that Outland Region 2 is anamorphic. www.dvd-shop-uk.co.uk even says "NOTE: Package mistakenly says enhanced for 16x9 TVs".

Can anyone comment?

17. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Todd - with the disc I've got, the situation is entirely the reverse. The cover gives the impression that it's NOT anamorphic, whereas in fact it IS. I just checked this again to make sure I wasn't hallucinating but no, it's DEFINITELY anamorphic and with 5.1.
    Maybe there's more than one version, but I really don't think so.

I know the difference because I just watched the R1 FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, which most definitely is NOT anamorphic ! But that's another story . . .

18. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
  19. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

Thanks a bunch Anthony. I appreciate the research!