What's new

American Idol - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Something tells me that J.D. (goateed rock singer) is only pulling through based on Paula's appreciation for his ability. Which is sad, because I think he's a kick-ass singer. But he'll never win a contest against the fake girls with the plastic boobies. Two especially already have the "bitchy diva" routine down to a T.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
How in the world did they let Corey Clark continue? (the sideshow bob/michael jackson/justin guarini wannabe) He sounded horrible in his first audition and no better last night. I hope Frenchie makes it just to spite Simon's views on the Idol having a specific look, isn't it up to America to pick their idol?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Whoa! Just went on the AI webpage, and didn't realize that for the next 4 weeks, there will be 8 singers and only 2 from each flight go on to make the final 10 (2 must be "at-large" bids by the judges).

I looked at all the contestants, and I keep going back to Candice Coleman as my dark horse pick, but I don't have anything to go by on many of the contestants that are in the final 32, perhaps only 12 of them I've heard sing.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I only caught the last half-season of the previous American-Idol (my wife kept urging me to watch :rolleyes:until I relented), and I have to admit this is the only "reality" show I enjoy.

I have to disagree with some of the posters' view of the judges being too harsh. If a singer wants to be successful in the industry, they will have to get used rejection. I'm willing to bet the recording industry is much hasher than the snide comments of three judges of a reality game show. If they can't take the heat from AI, they really don't deserve to be pursuing a professional singing career.

I am at a loss at how deluded some of these people can be. I was as shocked as Simon was when "Like a Virgin guy" (girl? I couldn't tell) was surprised the judges told him he couldn't sing! Does that fool really think he can sing? Professionally? Geez...

Some people can't take a compliment. When the judges told one contestant ("Caribbean Boat Guy") that he could sing, but not on AI, I was surprised he took offense to that. The judges weren't dissing his ability to sing, but were stating that he could make money with his voice elsewhere, such as on a cruise ship as a lounge singer. Wouldn't that be encouragement to continue your career?

Even before the voting begins, I already have a couple of contestants in mind I will NEVER vote for:

Corey Clark (member of the "party-trio", Justin wanna-be): The night before the group audtion, he decides to party instead of practice with his group. He obviously shows no dedication towards working with others in a group, and pretty much abandons them in the middle of the audtion by performing a solo for Abdul, stealing the "spotlight". I believe he moved onto the final thrity-two because of his performance, instead of his singing abilities. I'm just glad Patrick Lake, one of the group members Clark abandons in the audition (the rocker guy), was able to make it.

Kimberly Caldwell (blonde-bitch): I am surprised at the way this "diva-wanna-be" conducted herself in front of a camera. How can she (and others) ditch a member of the group without notice (Julia DeMato), and then be "upset" Julia showed up late for the rehearsal in the morning, a rehearsal that was scheduled to be in the evening after dinner? Kimberly has an excellent voice, but doesn't she know that her behaviour behind-the-scenes will taint the public's view of her in future voting? If it can affect my vote, I'm sure it will affect others.

Contestants I do like:

Joshua Gracin (Marine Guy): Am I the only one who was sick of the numerous falsettos from last season? You know, those high-pitched, Justin Timberlake wanna-bes? Is it any wonder that the runner-up from last season had a "male" voice? I'm glad more tenors and baritones have been selected for judging this year, and Joshua looks to be pretty good, if not surprising, with his military routine!

Kimberly Locke (The Other Gal): While many people like Frenchie Davis, I prefer Kimberly, the other member of the audition duo. Frenchie sings very well, but she sings loud, and loud only (at least so far). Based on her preliminary audtion, Kimberly has the ability to sing loud, soft, and well.

Ruben Studdard (Luther Guy): I was expecting him to sing really low, such as Barry White, but was caught off-guard by his smooth, silky voice. I hope this guy goes far.

8^B

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I'm tired of hearing those wimpy sounding voices too, not only from the guys but also from the girls. I kinda thought those twin girls would have made it through this cut. They definitely have a unique talent that will benefit them elsewhere, but not on American Idol. Look for them to show up in commercials soon!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm not sure how Corey made it to the next round either. I thought Simon and Randy didn't like his performance in the group.

~T

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you analyze the boy/girl breakdown, it seems they went with a 50/50 split, so Corey might have slid into one of the boy spots when a better girl singer should have gotten the slot.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
The way it looks they want an even competition between boys and girls. However, both sides had their good singers and their terrible singers who couldn't even remember their lines.

It is true that you have to be able to remember your songs in less than 3 hours. There's no 2nd chances when it comes to singing. People think it's a piece of cake when it's actually a long drudge.

The vibratto you hear in pop is what it is, R&B. This type of vibratto has been apparent in R&B & Soul since the 50's, but lately has been overexaggerated in the 90's and the 2000's. It has always been with the music industry. I have no clue what music you have been listening to to not hear it from the past 5 decades worth of music.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The vibratto you hear in pop is what it is, R&B. This type of vibratto has been apparent in R&B & Soul since the 50's, but lately has been overexaggerated in the 90's and the 2000's. It has always been with the music industry. I have no clue what music you have been listening to to not hear it from the past 5 decades worth of music.
Only three and a half decades for me. Oh you know, oldies like Bowie, Beatles, Stones, Who, and more recently, Don Henley, Sheryl Crow, and singer/songwriters whose talent may be more in thier lyrics. I guess I've heard Annie Lennox do some it, but she's always made it clear she was paying homage to R&B - not ripping off its vocal stylings.

I've generally only heard this vibratto stuff on the overly-commercial radio stations. Thanks for the info.

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
I think Paula needs to go and they need to bring in that chick from The Weakest Link as a replacement judge. I mean, if we are all in for seeing people get humiliated, let'd go all out.

Also, is it me, or does anyone else think that Brittany Spears and Christina A. would have their sweet little asses handed to them if they were on one of these shows. I mean Kelly Clarkson would wipe the walls with either of these flesh fairys.

Chris

BobV

Second Unit
The vibratto you hear in pop is what it is, R&B.
To be clear, what Will_B was explaining is definitely not what would be called 'vibrato'. Vibrato is about consistency over the fine details of pitch and amplitude contours... fine details. Or better expounded, it's the rapid sliding from 'onpitch' to 'offpitchsharp' to 'onpitch' to 'offpitchflat' and back. It would look similiar to a sine wave.

What Will_B was explaining (not to put words in his mouth :) ) is what was explained in this thread as the 'jumping octaves'... not the sliding of pitch but the changing by semitones and tones to an endnote which would normally be written to be held on one even note.

Lesson over, now go practise the piano for a half hour :) .

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Chris, 'Flesh Fairies'! What a classic term! And so damn apt :emoji_thumbsup: .

And you're right: let's team up Simon with the Weakest Link bitch, and throw in Dennis Miller as well. I'd love to see some of those no-talent contestants run out bawling their eyes out!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the UK judges were much more caustic than in the US version. I think the egos of young Americans were deemed to be more delicate, hence only one truly honest judge and a couple of softballs.

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
God yes!

Dennis Miller. How come I didn't already think of that?! I could see it now:

"I have to say that your singing sucks worse than a Celine Deon cover version of 'Whole Lotta Love'. I mean that stunk worse than a man eating a gorganzola cheese sandwich while getting a permenant inside the septic tank of a slaughter house! I would have voted you in for California if you'd only brought in a fucking skunk!"

Oh man, That'd get me watching television again...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But none of Miller's caustic jabs would mean anything to the singers getting slammed because they just wouldn't get the references.

Remember when one of the contestant was slammed by Simon, and the contestant didn't understand the term and thus had no idea he was getting slammed until Simon spelled it out for him?

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
"The lion might be the king of the jungle, but if you air-drop his ass into Antarctica he's just a penguin's bitch."

"Cheese Wiz is not something you eat, it's something you see a Urologist for."

"Remember, these bozos aren't as far apart on ecological matters as they think they are. An industrialist is someone who WANTS to build a house in the woods. An environmentalist is someone who already OWNS a house in the woods."

"I see these chrome-head, foul-breathed barking con artists on stage dangling eternal salvation at these poor bastards like a leash at a Chihuahua with one kidney and frankly I am just shocked at our nation's lack of common sense. Don't look to these people to get you in heaven. These guys can't even get you into Costco! Clearly, they couldn't be more full of shit if they were a Port O' Potty at a NASCAR event."

"What is common sense? Common sense is always something that comes to you. Common sense is smacked into the back of your head by your mother, because you tried to touch the hot pot on the stove. It's the Oldsmobile crest branded on your forehead for all eternity, because you wouldn't buckle up. Common sense is what gores you in the ass in Pomplona when you dress up like Topo Gigio and run in front of the bulls down a street that is narrower than Newt Gingrich's mind. And most of all, Common sense is admitting that you don't have a closer..I don't have a closer!"

"I haven't been this excited about a product sense I bought the Craftmatic 2 Adjustable Bed just to see if I could blow myself!"

And on and on...

Jason Price

Second Unit
What Will_B was explaining (not to put words in his mouth ) is what was explained in this thread as the 'jumping octaves'... not the sliding of pitch but the changing by semitones and tones to an endnote which would normally be written to be held on one even note.
I think the word you're all looking for is 'ornamentation'.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tonight is the first of 4 February shows on Tuesday that will feature 8 of the 32 finalists, and only 2 will go on to the top 10 (presumably, the last 2 will be wildcards selected by the judges).

Here's the Group 1 lineup for tonight.

My picks for the top 2 from Group 1 would be Julia Demato and Kimberly Caldwell.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It appears that one of the guys got sent home as there is now an imbalance of 17 girls and 15 guys in the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks