What's new

American Idol - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Actually, the judging is very much a reality check in the industry itself. Although Simon is more brash than most people would be, but he tells it like it is. He tells those that can't sing worth diddley to not sing anymore. Yet he's fair on people who is not good at singing but has a chance of it with enough practice.

Most auditioners don't understand the avenue of singing. They think that because that last year's winner, Kelly Clarkson, is a power singer that the judges are looking for high pitched singers, which is untrue, so you'll see a lot of these auditioners try to hit high notes when they can't hit them. What the judges are more looking for is uniqueness not wannabes. Sing a song in your own key, make it your own, not a karaoke version, and have fun with it and don't be bland or nervous when performing. You also don't need antics to get noticed either. This isn't "Let's Make A Deal".

And the judges have all the right to squelch people's dream. People shouldn't think they have the right to dream to be a singer. It's a gift and a talent to sing. Not everyone can do it and praising someone for mediocre to bad singing is just wrong. It may be okay for karaoke between friends, but not at professional level.

Anyhoo, so far, the show is just as interesting as it was last year. I do see more Pop Stars auditioners popping up, like Kimberly (can't remember her last name). Not everyone can sing every genre and it will show once they get to Hollywood where they are forced to sing a song they don't know. It weeds out a lot of people right there. A good singer can sing any genre well.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Another thing to consider is the age factor. We have a whole generation of kids who have been brought up with low work ethics, thinking that an opportunity is going to fall in their lap just because they're young and good looking, and if it doesn't pan out , hey, they had their 15 seconds of fame. You know what's really sad here ? It's the fact that so many people had so much time to waste waiting in line for that stupid 15 seconds of fame. The ones that have the real talent to offer,& believe me, they do know it,are the ones that you saw impress the 3 judges last night. As the person posted earlier, it's the 1% of people who have been blessed with that unique singing voice and the other 99% who just don't quite compare.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
And the judges have all the right to squelch people's dream. People shouldn't think they have the right to dream to be a singer. It's a gift and a talent to sing. Not everyone can do it and praising someone for mediocre to bad singing is just wrong.
Again, I'm certainly not disputing that. If a person is harboring delusions that they are the next Frank Sinatra and they actually sing like the next Frank Stallone, the right thing to do is to be honest with them in this situation. I just don't like how their humiliation is played out for our "entertainment".

Look, I'm sure some of the corrupt aristocrats in France deserved to be beheaded during the French Revolution, but that doesn't mean I think it was appropriate that crowds gathered around to gawk at them.

But I'll stop now, because I think I'm repeating myself. Thanks for listening. :)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Its been pretty funny tonight. The guy who butchered the anthem was hilarious. I also think its pitiful when contestants get all defensive. These people obviously don't have a clue what criticism is. It comes in many forms and maybe sometimes its rough, but the truth hurts sometimes. Whats going to happen when these kids grow up and get a job and are peer reviewed? Someones going to say something negative and these people are going to blow up on them. A lot of it can be chalked up to immaturity I'm sure. If you notice the ones that were really good were the ones that were confident, but didn't have huge egos or attitudes. They knew they were good and just went out and did their thing and they got in.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Again, people's SAD (self awareness deficit) syndrome runs rampant in the 2nd leg of the search for the American Idol #2.

There was one bit that just had me busting a gut (but it was again late last night, and I have no idea which "singer" was the one who had the judges rolling their eyes into their heads). I'll have to review the tape again for that tonally challenged clueless singah.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Wether it is for entertainment or not, those people who just don't know how bad they are shouldn't get any pity for how it was presented. They voluntarily put themselves out there, knowing from last year how cut-throat the auditons can and will be. The "yellow pimp" guy who started crying because he had no way to get home? Boo-hoo... guess you should have planned a bit more accordingly. Hope for the best but plan for the worst. I'm guessing at least 95% of those who try out don't sing any farther away then their shower in the morning. If you don't have the talent to be in your school or church choir, maybe you shouldn't be wasting your time on here.

Tell you who I rushed to make a decesion and have it totally wrong was the guy from the Marines. He comes marching in, salutes, give his info and I'm thinking "here we go, this should be fun to watch..." and man he was one of the best of the night!

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the marine was a surprise!

Anyone see Simon on Conan last night? He talked about the yellow suited pimped out guy. They were talking about how he can tell most of the time just by appearances and how the person walks in and he mentioned the yellow suited guy on how he already made up his mind before the guy started.

What about the ex-stripper last night! Too funny! These kids need a reality check. The judges critic them on their ability and image during their audition, and when they aren't picked the contestants go on camera and start insulting the judges weight, etc...and they wonder why they weren't picked?

I don't know how those 3 put up with a day long audition of horrible people one after another. By the end of the day I bet they are so tired of hearing crap.

I'm curious as to just how many people actually get a chance to go in front of the judges. If you run the numbers: 2 minutes per person in a 12 hour day will only allow 360 people to be heard by the judges. I imagine it's more like 100-200 people, so the pre-screeners have their work cut out for them to try to whittle down the thousands of people. I'm sure most of the people that get cut are just average singers, and they allow the talented singers, the "characters", and the unbelievably horrible singers to go on to the next round in front of the judges and Fox cameras.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Everybody loves to watch a trainwreck (including me).

The yellow pimp suit guy, he had a great attitude, and maybe with some serious voice coaching could be an okay singer (but doubtful anything more).

But I felt so bad for him coming with nothing, that if I had been standing there, I'd have bought him a bus ticket home. Real good attitude.

I can't remember the guys name who did the Inglesias performance and kept saying "I'll see you in Hollywood" and showed up to another audition. I couldn't stop laughing "ahhh ahhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Robin Warren

Second Unit
This is television. I am sure that the contestants are told up front if they stink they are going to be ridiculed. I would even wager that they sign a release form stating they understand they may be insulted and humiliated to the nth degree. Just imagine if a contestant went home and blew their brains out over having their dreams crushed. Fox would want to be covered in that instance. Feeling guilt for the treatment these talentless bozo's receive is silly, imho. They are well aware of the consequences yet they submit themselves to it willingley. Save your sorrow for the guy whom the paramedics find dead on his toilet with his pants around his ankles.

Joel C

Screenwriter
My fave was the kid who Paula said had " "Broadway" voice, and he goes, "Broadway is a second home, but pop music's my favorite."

Just the way he lisped it out with this little smile on his face like he knew he was the shit. Good times.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Paula's not all that good of a vocal talent evaluator. Her main criteria for the guys is whether the guys sing to her and her alone.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think it was my brother-in-law who told me that paula could not sing at all.

supposedly, on many of her songs, her voice was recorded one line at a time. it was the only way they could use studio magic to get her voice to sound decent.

not sure if it's true or not, but my brother-in-law used to be pretty tied into the music industry - he toured as the percussionist with the doobie brothers for a while.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Gotta say I'm not a big fan of reality shows, but this one is hard not to watch.

My favority line so far was when a girl from Miami had just got done singing, you could tell she was kind of shy and when she was singing I was thinking. Damn, she's gonna get a eye opener.
After her audition

Paula: (Very Innocently) "So your studying to be a Pharmacist?"

Girl: "Yes"

Everyone: (with enthusiasm) "Great, good, yeah Good"

that was all they showed of that girls deal. But it had me rolling on the floor laughing, more than any of Simons repetative zingers.

Simon just needs a recorded tape, so all he has to do is press play and it says, "your the worst singer I've ever heard"

I think it is a good idea that these people get the straight answer and sometimes they need a spiritual kick to the head to get the the idea across they they shouldn't be wasting there life/money pursueing a dream that will never be. Plus I find it entertaining as hell.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What about the twin brothers last night who thought they were all that and when they were told they couldn't carry a tune they got all defensive and questioned the credibility of the 3 judges! Serious attitude problems on the majority of the contestants.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
You know I have to figure that

A: these people don't have any friends to tell them they suck

B: There friends are playing jokes on them saying "oh your the best man" then laughing when they get on TV and make an idiot out of themselves (My personal Favorite)

C: Have been told repeatedly that they suck by there friends and family, but they just won't listen. (A not to distant second favorite)

or

D: Woke up one day thinking "hmmm, I think it would be neat to go wait in line for 2 days, get on national TV and emberass the hell out of my self". Kind of a Jerry Springer mentality.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
God, Detroit had the worst talent of all the cities so far. We have two more cities next week to listen to before we get into Hollywood. Ugh, the agony. And what's up with the boxer chick taking 10 minutes of air time? Ugh, she sucked. Get off the stage and let someone else with more talent on.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i thought the same thing kong. i was wondering why the boxer gal got so much airtime.

i think it was AI's way of showing what was "real", the plight of the struggling artist, etc.

i admit it got weird when she broke down and told about her husband being murdered and all, and how she would pursue her dreams and how her son kept her going, etc.

i did appreciate the nice touch at the end when they wished her best of luck. i thought that was really cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks