What's new

American Idol - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that I'm watching this show at all, but my Partner loves it, and it's feeding viewers to 24, so I have my reasons.

I thought Kimberly really took advantage of her moment last night and did all that she could with it. I was actually quite moved by what she did. That right there is an important part of Star Power that I don't think I've seen anyone else on this show display. That said, we still haven't seen my 2 picks. One is coming next week (somewhat heavyset black girl) and I presume the last will be the following week (quite heavyset black girl).

I really despised shows like Making the Band and such that showed what a JOKE the music industry and boy/girl bands were. Of course perhaps that helped defuse the boy/girl band phenomenon, and that's a good thing. American Idol seems different though. They are actually finding someone with talent, and not trying to manufacture a band.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know Kimberley Locke's name. I knew Frenchie Davis's but couldn't remember. Frenchie is my #1 candidate for American Idol. If she secured a solid songwriter, I'd buy an album of hers in a heartbeat.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
What previous shows was she on?
Popstars 1 and 2 (she wouldn't give up lol)
On both she made it to their LA workshop. Both times, she was cut because they thought her voice was too big and strong for a group and would stand out too much. Corey Clark and Ejay Day were both on Popstars 2, and cut at the same time as Kim Caldwell. Also, I don't know how the "professional" rules are, but Kim was in the Country Tonite show in Pigeon Forge, Tn which is a big show and won several awards, but I guess it wasn't enough to disqualify her.

Chris

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Clay, Kimberley, and to some extent, Ruben were red hot tonight. I wasn't as impressed with Ruben's performance as the Judges, but he *was* really good. And the girl who looks like Sandra Bullock (her name escapes me) was very good as well. Candace's performance was disappointing as she seemed really uncomfortable singing to the camera. I must say I was really transfixed during Clay's performance... He easily stole the evening compared to everyone else imho.

I'm really hoping that Kimberley and Clay go through tomorrow night and Ruben gets picked up for one of the 2 Judge's Wild Card spots.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Good grief, there were 6 solid performances on display tonight:

1. Kimberly Locke - solid, and she told off Simon big time. She can go low and high, and can sustain the notes well.

2. Clay Aiken - he's got that Rick Astley thing going on.

3. Hadas - I like her voice, it's got radio adult contemporary written all over it.

4. Ruben Studdard - sounded a bit flat in spots, but had that grin that got the judges all happy inside. I don't think he's what this competition is all about, though.

5. Candice Coleman - my pick from the outset, but her on camera presence was lacking, but has this voice that comes out of nowhere, and just when you think she's out of breath, she gets into the reserves somewhere.

6. Rebecca Bond - also has that jazzy Anita Baker voice, and is probably wrong for AI, but a good singer.

7. Jennifer Fuentes - out-gunned in this round.

8. Jacob John - if I never hear his voice again, that's be okay with me. I can't stand his type of voice.

I hate that only 2-3 will be most likely be going on because 4 of them deserve to go.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Damn, Frenchie was my choice for the next American Idol. I don't know if I'll be watching this one all the way through if Kimberley (choice #2) gets booted tomorrow night.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Damn. Frenchie was who my girlfriend and I were pulling for. :frowning:
That girl has a wonderful voice and how can you not cheer for somebody named "Frenchie". :)

-Dean-

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ruben and his brother Kevin were hilarious in the Red Room squeezing the crap out of Ryan. When asked what she feeds them, their mom said "Salad!" LOL! And Ryan comes back with "Lots of it!"

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I guess my ears are full of wax in the late evenings. I'll probably review the tape again anyhow just to watch Kimberly lay the smackdown on Simon.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Was I the only one annoyed by Kimberley singing the same song for the 3rd time? Come on, show what you can do, not what you've done.

Chris

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was poor form when Kimberley was ripping on Simon. He is there to judge you and tell it like it is. The contestents are there to perform, that is it. What happens if she makes it and people write bad reviews of her songs? She gonna take them all on? Take the criticism and move on, no point in responding to it and telling him he sucks.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Kimberley still doesn't beat Patrick's dad begging the judges to give Patrick a chance, when they had no say in whether or not he moved on (other than the wildcards) :D

Chris

BradG

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

No, you are not alone...I was extremely annoyed Kimberly sang the same song for the 3rd time. How is that showing versatility? To me, I don't vote for her because she sang that same song again.

I don't think that anyone in last night's group deserves to win the competition. Some have great voices, but don't show enough personality when singing, while others are all personality and not enough talent. Clay sings very well, but he sounds and acts like a broadway performer (and that's not a bad thing). Image is just as important as singing ability and while I may not agree with that, it is a fact of being a pop idol (Britney anyone?).

I liked Candice's singing the best, but she really needs to perform on camera better. I would pick she and Clay (despite my earlier comments about him being Broadway material) to go to the final 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks